Game Thread: Lady Vols 77 vs Florida Gators 67

Just not getting what we need out of the point guard position more than any other. The three players player the four are doing an average job and the wings have been fabulous. We really need the point guards on this team to step up to another level. It would make a huge difference in this team.
Most very good teams have one main point guard who receive a major portion of the floor time. However, KJH has adopted a point guard platoon system with Walker and Powell. Powell was a very good point guard at Minnesota who was a good scorer. I am surprised that Powell is not on the floor the majority of the time. However, KJH has her own system which may well workout as the season goes on, we can only hope.

I guess I am to old because this stat is really meaningless to me even though I know a lot of people refer to this stat. Unless there is something I am missing.
If I understand it correctly, let’s say a team like Troy is playing South Carolina. Their (Troy’s) star player plays entire time and team (Troy) is only down 2 points when she gets injured and she misses rest of game. Troy then gets outscored by 25 points. The stat line for the star player is -2 but if another player comes in the game for just 5 seconds before half time and another player on her team makes a shot from half court, then the player that just came in gets a +3 rating for the game.
Or a S Carolina sub comes in and contributes nothing but they outscore Troy by 25, the sub gets a +25 rating?
Am I understanding this correctly? If so then it seems like you would have to know all the circumstances of the game before it means something (but not much) IMO.
You are correct. It is a stat that requires a deeper examination. But it is far from a meaningless stat. It is quite useful when you examine a players PM over time. It certainly can get skewed in one game. On the orher hand if Horston and Jackson only had 3 PM when team won by 10 it bears looking into. So yes by itself for one game it may not mean much but it can be useful once you analyze it . So it is far far from meaningless

You are correct. It is a stat that requires a deeper examination. But it is far from a meaningless stat. It is quite useful when you examine a players PM over several games. It certainly can get skewed in one game by all kinds of things as you mentioned. On the orher hand if Horston and Jackson only had 3 PM each when team won by 10 it bears looking into. So yes by itself for one game it may be deceiving but a coach would be an absolute fool not to look at it as a starting point for a deeper dive if anything stands out. So it is very far from meaningless stat ( after all the object of a game is to score more points than the other team and a players PM in a game is a subset of the final score)/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Most very good teams have one main point guard who receive a major portion of the floor time. However, KJH has adopted a point guard platoon system with Walker and Powell. Powell was a very good point guard at Minnesota who was a good scorer. I am surprised that Powell is not on the floor the majority of the time. However, KJH has her own system which may well workout as the season goes on, we can only hope.

For the last 6-8 games, Powell has lost her outside shot.

I hope this is the game she finds it! She can also make a big impact by pressuring the opposing perimeter players this game. If she does that'll disrupt their whole offensive flow.

I hope this is the game she finds it! She can also make a big impact by pressuring the opposing perimeter players this game. If she does that'll disrupt their whole offensive flow.

Yes, really hoping she has a breakout game soon. She’s working into the system and figuring out what we need.

She is a good defender, really like how she guards ball screens.

She’s a better shooter than she has been lately. Hoping that will turn around. We don’t need her to score much but 6-10 a game would make a huge difference. Especially if she could start knocking in a three here and there to keep teams honest.

Florida was choosing not to guard her intentionally. Mentally that’s annoying when you know you’re open so you need to be confident and shoot. But you also know you’re wide open because the opposing team doesn’t think you can hit the broadside of a barn.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back