Game Thread: Lady Vols 52 - USF 49

Yes, from the Holly recruits. Don’t bother to @ me. Not interested in the opinions of the connies. If I wanted to go back and forth with you I’d join the Boneyard 🤮🤮
Problem is the best players on this team are still Holly recruits. Kellie recruits only scored 18 points total last night.

Problem is the best players on this team are still Holly recruits. Kellie recruits only scored 18 points total last night.

Kellie's four best recruits are this year's class who have played 3 games. In fact, all of Kellie's are under classmen. So, a little patience here. Kellie has not been here that long and had the covid disruption. Her recruiting is trending in the right direction and she is not shy about supplementing with transfer portal prospects.

Kellie's four best recruits are this year's class who have played 3 games. In fact, all of Kellie's are under classmen. So, a little patience here. Kellie has not been here that long and had the covid disruption. Her recruiting is trending in the right direction and she is not shy about supplementing with transfer portal prospects.
This is year 3. There should be a clear identity by now.

I'm sure a lot of homes of Lady Vols fans looked a lot like this, as our girls had trouble scoring a lay up, and especially the 3 point demon ball...

Coach Kellie, please go back to basics lay up drills.
Also, it's imperative we hit free throws.....
dont-watch-its-a-horrible-scene-picture-id1129349010
GT, just keep notching W’s until RB comes back…the 3 ball will start dropping before then, this group are better shooters than early averages indicate. What’s going on with your girl Striplin right now? I assumed she was going to get playing time, maybe it’s coming….

This is year 3. There should be a clear identity by now.

She is in her 3rd season. Her first year was mainly consumed with managing transfers (kept Jordan lost westbrook) and plugging holes in a sinking ship. (Rennie and Saunders were Holly recruits btw, so I am happy to talk about Holly's recruiting trend).

In her first year of recruiting, the frosh players of 20-21, Kellie brought in Destiny who she had signed from Mizz St.; Marta (who may prove to be a really good player, she showed promise as a freshman), Darby and transfers McCoy and Green. All in all, that was a class that seemed like Kellie was not settled and some changes in the staff were made.

This year, she has Wynn, Miles, Puckett, and Striplin which is a nationally ranked class,. I would suggest that this years class is where we really start the clock on Kellie's recruiting.

Last edited:
She is in her 3rd season. Her first year was mainly consumed with managing transfers (kept Jordan lost westbrook) and plugging holes in a sinking ship. (Rennie and Saunders were Holly recruits btw, so I am happy to talk about Holly's recruiting trend).

In her first yeas of recruiting, the frosh players of 20-21, she brought in Destiny who she had signed from Mizz St.; Marta (who may prove to be a really good player, she showed promise as a freshman), Darby and transfers McCoy and Green. All in all, that was a class that seemed like Kellie was not settled and some changes in the staff were made.

This year, she has Wynn, Miles, Puckett, and Striplin which is a nationally ranked class,. I would suggest that this years class is where we really start the clock on Kellie's recruiting.

Not to mention year two was COVID year and everyone spent the entire season trying to work that out. I’m certain our players and team would have made a bigger jump last year if everyone didn’t have to focus on Covid protocols and scheduling and re-scheduling games.

This is really the first real season Kellie will have had.

Puckett is 5 for 11 from the field in the first three game that is less than 4 shot attempts a game. Darby is 3 for 17 most of her attempts came in the first two games. She was pulled last night after one attempt and a walk on her second.
So 45 percent for Puckett and 18 percent for Darby. Puckett does other things like strong defense, rebounding, and blocked one shot last night while disrupting a few others. Puckett is 2 for 6 from the three and Darby is 2 for 11. I agree Darby should play off the bench some, but Puckett would be my starter for Burrell until she returns.
I don’t think Walker had good shooting numbers last year either. I wonder if the 3 pt line moving back from high school to college is affecting Puckett.

wow,,,just got in from a 2-day road trip...have yet to see the game but checked this page up to just about the time the game ended,,,haven't looked at the posts beyond the game yet, but know they are going to be brutal...will watch the game after I unpack and will chime in (looking at the box score without seeing the game,,13 turnovers would usually net a higher score. But 0-13 on 3's makes me yell welcome Justine and stay prepared Madi, they may realize they could use you after all),,,but already, wow,,,either this game was a 2-NCAA participant nailbiter or Holly's ghost was in full bloom,,,check back with ya'll later

wow,,,just got in from a 2-day road trip...have yet to see the game but checked this page up to just about the time the game ended,,,haven't looked at the posts beyond the game yet, but know they are going to be brutal...will watch the game after I unpack and will chime in (looking at the box score without seeing the game,,13 turnovers would usually net a higher score. But 0-13 on 3's makes me yell welcome Justine and stay prepared Madi, they may realize they could use you after all),,,but already, wow,,,either this game was a 2-NCAA participant nailbiter or Holly's ghost was in full bloom,,,check back with ya'll later

If Holly's ghost was in full bloom we would be 2-1 not 3-0

GT, just keep notching W’s until RB comes back…the 3 ball will start dropping before then, this group are better shooters than early averages indicate. What’s going on with your girl Striplin right now? I assumed she was going to get playing time, maybe it’s coming….

Rooster, I have no clear idea what has happened to Striplin's shooting/scoring abilities....She has shot 2 lay ups the last 2 games and didn't even hit iron either time...

It's early in your college career, you have the talent....Dig deep young lady, rise above it......You can do it...
hqdefault.jpg

Rooster, I have no clear idea what has happened to Striplin's shooting/scoring abilities....She has shot 2 lay ups the last 2 games and didn't even hit iron either time...

It's early in your college career, you have the talent....Dig deep young lady, rise above it......You can do it...
hqdefault.jpg

Maybe she's fighting through something pesky. Still early.....

hqdefault.jpg

Don't forget. Rae could not hit a shot to save her life as a freshman. It was strange because her shot mechanics looked great., she was just rushing and playing nervous. It take some freshman more time than others to settle in. I expect that Karoline will find her consistent stroke during this season.

If Holly's ghost was in full bloom we would be 2-1 not 3-0

it was a hard fought battle between #23 and #16...piss poor 3 pt shooting,,,but a hard fought battle and a hell of a coaching job

period

Striplin has to get accustomed to the speed and overall level of play at D1 basketball. It's a huge leap from her high school days.
She's not going to be starting anytime soon and she's not going to be SEC freshman of the year (As has been mentioned, by some posters, on this very forum)
But she can be an effective player eventually. She just needs some time to work on her game and more experience in playing at this level. Just like giving CKJH more time in developing her own team, Striplin needs time to acclimate her game to D1 level. Expecting immediate stardom was not realistic and actually did a disservice to Striplin.

VN Store

Back