Game Thread: (7/9) Lady Vols 70 - Arkansas 63

Wrote this on December 19. This is what she shot in the 3 games leading up to the Stanford game.

If she shot 36% last year and so far 35% this year, it’s not just a slump. She has made some big baskets in the last 5 minutes of games, but defense is her game, and our best shooters need to be taking the majority of shots. Thankfully, Rae is back, and Horston needs to get the ball to our best shooter.

Horston’s shooting average is not just because of the opponent, and is nothing new.

In our last four games, she shot:

TN Tech 4-11
Virginia Tech 3-13
GA ST 4-15
Stanford 5-19

This. Horston deserves minutes because she plays good defense and rebounds well, but she has been a consistently putrid offensive player -- both shooting and turning the ball over -- all season. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that she far and away takes the most shots on the team...

This. Horston deserves minutes because she plays good defense and rebounds well, but she has been a consistently putrid offensive player -- both shooting and turning the ball over -- all season. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that she far and away takes the most shots on the team...
It helps that she's one of the only players on the team who can consistently create her own shot whenever she wants. She's also aggressive and gets fouled a lot. True, she's not a great FT shooter, but she also helps pile up the fouls called on the opposing team.

There are elements of her game she needs to improve, everyone has them, but she is one of the leaders for a team that is. 13-1.

Last edited:
Wrote this on December 19. This is what she shot in the 3 games leading up to the Stanford game.

If she shot 36% last year and so far 35% this year, it’s not just a slump. She has made some big baskets in the last 5 minutes of games, but defense is her game, and our best shooters need to be taking the majority of shots. Thankfully, Rae is back, and Horston needs to get the ball to our best shooter.

Horston’s shooting average is not just because of the opponent, and is nothing new.

TN Tech 4-11
Virginia Tech 3-13
GA ST 4-15
Stanford 5-19

Among our starting five (without Rae that is), Horston is shooting 36%, Walker 34%, Dye 42%, Darby 31% (though her shots are mostly 3s), and Key leading the way at 58%. Off the bench Puckett is 48% though her numbers have dropped in SEC play, Miles and Green are both over 40%.

So our best shooters are post players but we know that the team has to get scoring from elsewhere or teams just pack the paint. At 36% Jordan remains one of the relatively better perimeter shooters.

A healthy Rae should help quite a bit because this teams needs a more consistent go-to offensive player on the wing.

But, this team is closer to the classic LVs teams of past where the live or die by defense and rebounding. That equation is not likely to change this season.

Last edited:
It helps that she's one of the only players on the team who can consistently create her own shot whenever she wants. She's also aggressive and gets fouled a lot. True, she's not a great FT shooter, but she also helps pile up the fouls called on the opposing team.
Not to mention, we have one of the top rebounding teams in the country. Rebounding and put-backs are a part of a winning formula and until a team can really keep us off the glass, the amount of times J.H shoots the ball will not hinder us. Everyone continues to look for reasons why this team shouldn't be winning, yet they continue to win against more talented offensive teams. Last I checked J.H is one of the top stat getters in Scoring, Rebounding, and assists in the SEC. J.H. needs to keep doing what she is doing. It is part of a winning formula not to mention she is a mismatch nightmare for most teams around not only the SEC but the country both defensively and offensively.

Not to mention, we have one of the top rebounding teams in the country. Rebounding and put-backs are a part of a winning formula and until a team can really keep us off the glass, the amount of times J.H shoots the ball will not hinder us. Everyone continues to look for reasons why this team shouldn't be winning, yet they continue to win against more talented offensive teams. Last I checked J.H is one of the top stat getters in Scoring, Rebounding, and assists in the SEC. J.H. needs to keep doing what she is doing. It is part of a winning formula not to mention she is a mismatch nightmare for most teams around not only the SEC but the country both defensively and offensively.

Exactly. I can’t imagine any fan who would want her to stop bettering the stats for the team.

Last edited:

TN Tech 4-11
Virginia Tech 3-13
GA ST 4-15
Stanford 5-19

Yeah, she's been trying to carry the team on the offensive end, but she's just not that skilled at scoring. UNLESS she can post someone up. Which is why I'd love to see her at the four.

Yeah, she's been trying to carry the team on the offensive end, but she's just not that skilled at scoring. UNLESS she can post someone up. Which is why I'd love to see her at the four.
I think Kellie likes to move around her 2, 3, and 4's around depending on the matchups. I saw Jordan try to post up a couple of times yesterday, but she just didn't seem to have any legs after her extended time off and was short on a couple of shots.

Among our starting five (without Rae that is), Horston is shooting 36%, Walker 34%, Dye 42%, Darby 31% (though her shots are mostly 3s), and Key leading the way at 58%. Off the bench Puckett is 48% though her numbers have dropped in SEC play, Miles and Green are both over 40%.

So our best shooters are post players but we know that the team has to get scoring from elsewhere or teams just pack the paint. At 36% Jordan remains one of the relatively better perimeter shooters.

A healthy Rae should help quite a bit because this teams needs a more consistent go-to offensive player on the wing.

But, this team is closer to the classic LVs teams of past where the live or die by defense and rebounding. That equation is not likely to change this season.

Going by these numbers, the people shooting a better percentage than Horston are: Tamari, Rae before her injury, Sara, Alexus, Keyen, and Miles, but their percentages are based on fewer shots taken, therefore, they have less missed shots. Thrilled to be 13-1, and hope we can share the shooting to whomever has the hot hand.

Going by these numbers, the people shooting a better percentage than Horston are: Tamari, Rae before her injury, Sara, Alexus, Keyen, and Miles, but their percentages are based on fewer shots taken, therefore, they have less missed shots. Thrilled to be 13-1, and hope we can share the shooting to whomever has the hot hand.

I hope Dye's numbers go up. She gets a lot of decent shots near the rim and misses some that are very makeable. Brooklyn does not look for her shot very much except for when she has a clear lane to the rim.

Putrid? Really? Is it necessary to use that kind of bush league vocabulary to publicly describe the performance of a player on your professed favorite WCBB team?
(edited for typo)

She was + 18 yesterday correct? Better than everyone else by 10 points if I recall correctly? I also don’t remember seeing Ramirez successfully score against Horston, especially not a pull up 3. Could be wrong, others may have rewatched or watched with a closer eye. Part of the issue is she does so much that maybe is t getting recognized. Kinda like Candace who gets belittled for her talents. I do remember in the 4th she drove causing a rotation and assist with the easy Tamari basket. That basket then opened up the paint from that point forward.

Last edited:
Obviously I missed this! WTH?

And that was just one play. It was the entire game. Tamari drew 8 fouls but that was less than half the fouls that were committed against her. They could not guard her so they physically abused her.

This right here is why so many of the big girls end up with a bad back. It’s not supposed to bend that direction.

Obviously I missed this! WTH?

I missed it too and Mike Neighbors was upset?!?! Kellie and crew should send that into the SEC office and to Mike Neighbors to let them both know that is totally uncalled for.

So when people say well TN shot so many free throws! Well look at this $#!+ and tell us why... this wasn't even called. smh

TN Tech 4-11
Virginia Tech 3-13
GA ST 4-15
Stanford 5-19
Almost like she needs to back off and allow the game to come to her. She can surely slash though.

…^^^wisdom here^^^

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I missed it too and Mike Neighbors was upset?!?! Kellie and crew should send that into the SEC office and to Mike Neighbors to let them both know that is totally uncalled for.

So when people say well TN shot so many free throws! Well look at this $#!+ and tell us why... this wasn't even called. smh

This wasn’t the only time that exact behavior by that exact player wasn’t called. He was obviously putting her in to foul and they weren’t calling it. She barely plays for Arkansas. He was telling her to get in there and be physical. On almost every play she was in this is how she “defended” Tamari. Twice Tamari was called for retaliation “foul” which was mostly just her trying to get away from her.

Don’t care to see Horston’s shooting criticized here. She consistently has the best +/- on the team. Her shooting was better to start the season when she was physically healthy.

Since the start of the season she has been very obviously dealing with back/foot pain. Her shot the first three games compared to the last 10 looks different. She is off balance almost every time unless she’s completely set. I don’t believe that is by choice, she’s too athletic.

I think it’s primarily her foot taking her off balance. If she has any momentum you’ll notice she has to take off one footed. Can’t shoot that pretty jumper like she wants to because it hurts.

Don’t care to see Horston’s shooting criticized here. She consistently has the best +/- on the team. Her shooting was better to start the season when she was physically healthy.

Since the start of the season she has been very obviously dealing with back/foot pain. Her shot the first three games compared to the last 10 looks different. She is off balance almost every time unless she’s completely set. I don’t believe that is by choice, she’s too athletic.

I think it’s primarily her foot taking her off balance. If she has any momentum you’ll notice she has to take off one footed. Can’t shoot that pretty jumper like she wants to because it hurts.

That explanation makes sense from what I've seen. It also makes sense that would hurt her FT shooting, too. If so, she needs to limit her shots to those where she can find some kind of minimum balance point.

VN Store

Back