Game Thread: (7/9) Lady Vols 63 - (3/3) Stanford 74

We’re going to drop a game a some point. And in reality, this is probably the best team we will have played. Stanford by 15. We’ll be ok though.

You're right that we'll drop a game (or three or four) at some point, and that should neither be surprising nor alarming to anyone. Undefeated seasons are rare, even for teams that are considered the best of the Best of the BEST in the country -- and we all know Tennessee ain't quite all that yet.

I just hope along about 7:15 tomorrow night to be able to enjoy the fact that Tennessee competed for 40 minutes, kept each other's energy positive, and never showed any visible signs of panic. A win with all that would be amazing, but a competitive loss wouldn't make me mad, either.

You're right that we'll drop a game (or three or four) at some point, and that should neither be surprising nor alarming to anyone. Undefeated seasons are rare, even for teams that are considered the best of the Best of the BEST in the country -- and we all know Tennessee ain't quite all that yet.

I just hope along about 7:15 tomorrow night to be able to enjoy the fact that Tennessee competed for 40 minutes, kept each other's energy positive, and never showed any visible signs of panic. A win with all that would be amazing, but a competitive loss wouldn't make me mad, either.
good tude'

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Yeah, Coach Jumper, it's not rocket science, is it?! We are still very much a work in progress -- and that's okay. I've loved how they've met challenges to this point, but the more film opponents have on us, the more difficult it will be to overcome some of our deficiencies. I feel like our shooting percentage is going to have to make a significant leap soon and, yes, the number of "just hand the ball to the other team"-type turnovers cut down dramatically, if we expect to keep coming out on top against stiff challenges. Fortunately, I believe this team has the desire and mental toughness to get it done. :D

The face of the enemy.....Not a bad face, but for a few hours Saturday, she will be butt ugly.
Brink.jpg

I completely agree.

Yeah, Coach Jumper, it's not rocket science, is it?! We are still very much a work in progress -- and that's okay. I've loved how they've met challenges to this point, but the more film opponents have on us, the more difficult it will be to overcome some of our deficiencies. I feel like our shooting percentage is going to have to make a significant leap soon and, yes, the number of "just hand the ball to the other team"-type turnovers cut down dramatically, if we expect to keep coming out on top against stiff challenges. Fortunately, I believe this team has the desire and mental toughness to get it done. :D

The same stands true in reverse,,,the more we see of Stanford, the more we see when/how other teams significant successes happen and use them.

BTW I like our chances of moving into the top 5 if we win

We have nothing to lose. They are regarded as the better team and better program. They'll still be regarded as that even if they lose. If we lose, it's just a lost opportunity on our schedule, but we have numerous other opportunities ahead.

We’re going to drop a game a some point. And in reality, this is probably the best team we will have played. Stanford by 15. We’ll be ok though.

Maybe Texas is the best team we’ve played this year so far, afterall Texas beat Stanford at Stanford. If we lose any game this year, it should be an away game, not at home. Although I do not understand conceding any game before we’ve played the game.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

We have nothing to lose. They are regarded as the better team and better program. They'll still be regarded as that even if they lose. If we lose, it's just a lost opportunity on our schedule, but we have numerous other opportunities ahead.

We play at Arkansas, at Georgia, at UConn, and at South Carolina. This is our best opportunity to gain a signature win, and another confidence booster. Tamari may be the best center in the country, and our team supports her well. It‘s alright for our fans to think positive before our games, maybe with more wins, more will, I hope so.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Maybe Texas is the best team we’ve played this year so far, afterall Texas beat Stanford at Stanford. If we lose any game this year, it should be an away game, not at home. Although I do not understand conceding any game before we’ve played the game.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not conceding the game at all. Our team definitely has it in them to win the game if they put together a fairly complete game. But I'm not going to be surprised if they lose, either. That's not a concession, it's a reality check. GO LADY VOLS! BEAT STANFORD!

Three huge factors in this game. Key has to stay out of foul trouble. There is going to be a stretch in the game anyway when she is on the bench and we'll be vulnerable to their bigs. If it is more than 8 to 10 minutes in the entire game will be a huge detriment to our chance to win. Horston has to be locked in take sensible shots avoid the throws at the basket and also be under control with the dribble. In all our big game she has come up big for us need her to do it again. Last we must have a few players make some perimeter shots and threes. We can't go 2 for 20 from the three. We need five or six to fall. The more possessions we limit them to one shot the better our chances become. I'm sticking with Tennessee 63 to 58 Lady Vols for the win!!!!

Kitley of Virgina Tech shied away from contact from Key so Key was able to play 35 minutes without getting into foul trouble. Stanford's Brink despite her slight frame doesn't mind mixing it up inside so Key will have to play aggressively without fouling. If Key can play 30 minutes in this game the LV's have a good chance of winning. Should be a fun matchup to watch.

Kitley of Virgina Tech shied away from contact from Key so Key was able to play 35 minutes without getting into foul trouble. Stanford's Brink despite her slight frame doesn't mind mixing it up inside so Key will have to play aggressively without fouling. If Key can play 30 minutes in this game the LV's have a good chance of winning. Should be a fun matchup to watch.
Key just held her equal to a season low,,,no worries

The keys for them will be Haley Jones and Lacy Hull.
JH is as fast as, maybe faster than Hull. Speed on her is the key. I'd also play a lot of weakside attacks on her dribble

Alexis Dye on Jones...Dye's speed and athleticism will frustrate Jones and if Jones bangs down low, Dye can bring it too.

The x-factor will be Darby. When does she become the consistent game shooter?

We play at Arkansas, at Georgia, at UConn, and at South Carolina. This is our best opportunity to gain a signature win, and another confidence booster. Tamari may be the best center in the country, and our team supports her well. It‘s alright for our fans to think positive before our games, maybe with more wins, more will, I hope so.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Yes, it's certainly alright - it's actually best - to think positive, especially given the facts of the matter. We stand a very good chance of winning, especially playing on our home floor. My point is a defeat should not be perceived as a program or season damaging setback, not a sign that our program or season or season is headed in the wrong direction. Our program is headed in the right direction, no matter the outcome of this game, and so is our season, no matter the outcome. All I;m saying is: no matter the outcome, Kellie should keep headed in the same direction.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

JH is as fast as, maybe faster than Hull. Speed on her is the key. I'd also play a lot of weakside attacks on her dribble

Alexis Dye on Jones...Dye's speed and athleticism will frustrate Jones and if Jones bangs down low, Dye can bring it too.

Lexie, not Lacie, is the dangerous Hull sister to worry about.

I actually think the X-Factor is going to be Sara Puckett. Her ability to be crafty with shot selections, and be an inside and an outside scorer is going to be vital for us. Horston is also gonna have to bring her A game. Alexus Dye and Key will also need to be important. Jordan Walker and Darby can be the outside presents we will need to be hitting jumpers, but we need to establish an inside game first. No forcing it inside, but just attack the rim, and allow Key and Dye to clean boards if shots are missed.

Last edited:
I just heard from a reliable source that we will have a good crowd tomorrow for Stanford. :D He didn't give me any hard numbers, but when I said, "Twelve thousand?" he implied it could well exceed that.

I hope he has good info because our players are going to need us to be loud tomorrow. Not just for this particular game, but for the optics. Recruits are guaranteed to be watching closely. :D

Tara is such a good coach I look for us to have some difficulty with their disruptive defense. She knows what we require to score and will scheme against it. It's important that we solve her defensive pressure early in the game.

It was listed on ESPN 2 for 5 tomorrow, but now it shows volleyball at the 5 o'clock hour....

VN Store

Back