Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 73 - (25/23) Texas A&M 45

38c15d3e483fd7ef1e575ac80784e424.jpg
MIA

LOL! I said that last night to my friend who was watching with me. The Aggies are going to need some psychological therapy after the Tamari Tower of Pain gets through with them. What a night!

But seriously, a couple of those swats made my jaw drop. Brutal.

I like that reference to Key. Take a little liberty with Pecks comment: 'When you bring the ball in the paint on the Tamari Tower of Pain its lights out.' Sounds much more intimidating.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
3 point % after puckett shot 39 made 14 ..359% darby shot 62 made 21 ..339% walker shot 42 made 14 ...333% miles shot 20 made 5 ...250% horston shot 29 made 6 ...207% rennie shot 15 made2 133 % wynn shot 8 made 1 ..125% rae shot 6 made 1 ... 167% season 3 point % after texas am

Horston had a very good game, overall, and does many things well on the court---but shooting is a consistent issue with her. She's easily taken more shots
this year than anybody on the team but is only a 35 percent shooter. That's not ideal; you don't really want a spotty shooter taking a lot of shots--23 last night. Of course one reason that she shoots more than anybody is that she's able to create and get shots for herself, which some players cannot do very well--and you absolutely need players that can create their own shots. You have to have them--but you also need them to make more than 35 percent. Her 3-point shooting percentage is in the 20s, I believe.

Solution? Burrell's minutes should be increasing as we move forward, and in an ideal world we'd want Burrell, who can also create her own shots and is a better shooter, shooting more and maybe Horston shooting a bit less. That said, there's always this dilemma with players who have talent but don't shoot especially well or who go through shooting slumps: You don't want them to simply stop taking as many shots, because it tends to affect their confidence; they start thinking about whether they should take a shot or not---and that's never good and often just exacerbates the problem. I think the key is simply for Horston and the coaches to figure out if there are shots, and particular court spots, where her shooting is more efficient--and keep that in mind. For one thing, she's a big guard and should be posting up smaller guards regularly when we're facing a man defense. I don't watch the team play enough to know if she's doing that--I assume that she is--but taking more shots closer to the basket would be an obvious way to increase her efficiency, if she's not already doing that now. As the Burrell regains fitness and form, this team should be even more formidable.

All of which is why I like JH at the four. Close to the basket, mid-range jumpers and bunnies and put backs. She is already a rebounding beast. Put her at the four and see what happens.

Loved seeing a grinning Brooklynn say something under the basket that cracked Rae up and got her giggling. That's the sign of a future floor general, knowing when to ease the tension and when to ratchet up the intensity. Great chemistry with the freshman!

There was a point laterin the game where Dye (I think it was) flattened an Aggie on a moving screen, for which she was called. On the trip back down the floor to play defense, she and Key were obviously enjoying how the Aggie was put down hard, as they were giggling to each other about it. It was a funny moment for me. I figured that particular Aggie must be very unliked by the LV's.

3 point % after puckett shot 39 made 14 ..359% darby shot 62 made 21 ..339% walker shot 42 made 14 ...333% miles shot 20 made 5 ...250% horston shot 29 made 6 ...207% rennie shot 15 made2 133 % wynn shot 8 made 1 ..125% rae shot 6 made 1 ... 167% season 3 point % after texas am
Rae's is an enigma at this time. I believe she will be the three point leader when all is said and done. I am looking for the day coming forward when she makes five in a game.

Agree completely.Really nice to see JH hit some 3s at crucial moments and she hit some nice mid range shots but as you said, missed some at the rim that should have been points, But her work on the defense and the boards was stellar, She saved more than a few points with her defensive effort.
additional observations about JH:

She seems to be the one who makes the lion share of attempts to feed TK. This keeps TK happy. As a parent of a big, there is no better way to have them check out than to not have them get the ball after working to create the opportunity. She coulda had 8 assists to TK had Arkansas not started fouling TK in the 3rd and 4th to keep her from getting a shot attempt.

Kelly also attributed her reduced TOS to her more aggressive mindset. She believes that Jordan is holding back some and in those hesitant moments is when she is losing the ball. Which, wow. If she stepped on the accelerator instead, imagine what she is capable of. Also, this might explain why she’s bigger in big games and in the 4th quarter/end of game when they need her. Maybe she’s them looking more for herself instead of involving everyone else. Could explain some of hers and this team’s patterns this year. She’s team first, but capable of taking over.

Ppl are gonna attack me for this no I do not I have anything against Tess but Sara needs to get her minutes and take some of Tess minutes with Rae back
They can attack me too then.i totally agree. we can see she only has one offensive trait and that's being a spot up shooter and if you stay on her she can't get a shot off Ark 0 pts ETSU 2 pts Stanford 0 pts VT 0 pts TX 0 pts SFU 0 pts SIU 0 pts I'm not saying don't play her but she shouldn't been starting either.i think we would have gotten off faster against teams with another player starting jmo.

They can attack me too then.i totally agree. we can see she only has one offensive trait and that's being a spot up shooter and if you stay on her she can't get a shot off Ark 0 pts ETSU 2 pts Stanford 0 pts VT 0 pts TX 0 pts SFU 0 pts SIU 0 pts I'm not saying don't play her but she shouldn't been starting either.i think we would have gotten off faster against teams with another player starting jmo.

First, as Rae works her way back in, the logical consequence is that Tess and probably Sara will see reduced minutes.

Sara has hit a bit of a wall since the SEC season has started whereas I think Tess is starting to find her groove.

I am not sure why Tess is drawing so much ire. She is not a Sydney Smallbone type player who everyone immediately attacked because she was such a defensive liability.
Tess plays smart, her postitioning on both ends of the court is usually spot on. She is now a decent defender and understands that when all else fails direct her match-up toward the "land of doom" known as Tamari Key.

Importantly, she is hitting spot up 3s which this team desperately needs.

Rae's is an enigma at this time. I believe she will be the three point leader when all is said and done. I am looking for the day coming forward when she makes five in a game.
l said i like walker 3 ball when she open. walker,darby,puckett are close and burrel gets going in a few weeks . key and post players will easy looks. pick your poison time. not to leave horston and dye shooting jumps and driving basket. miles, wynn, strpline have a part to play to. miles has head start on the other too. sanders has impove she needs few minutes to.

Ppl are gonna attack me for this no I do not I have anything against Tess but Sara needs to get her minutes and take some of Tess minutes with Rae back
Like them both, but Tess plays with more confidence right now which experience brings. Sara not far behind and brings more versatility. Has to get open more and not be afraid to shoot.

kelly was post game about rae starting. kelly "not broke why fix it. " " work rae into what tenn doing" rae will start soon but tess will start a t least one or a few more. to bad darby haters .but sounds like tess is part of the plan this year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
horston miss 10 or 11 in row. tess misses one shot some people want her to sit more. sara has more upside coming in out high school. but look at rae now she was an all american prospeck preseason. tess may not be and all american but she has earn a some playing time. rae has improve big time out of high school. she now tenn best player. tess may be a starter next year or a sub. but she needs time to. horston finish better after poor start in stanford game. just using horston for a point.

Last edited:
horston miss 10 or 11 in row. tess misses one shot some people want her to sit more. sara has more upside coming in out high school. but look at rae now she was an all american prospeck preseason. tess may not be and all american but she has earn a some playing time. rae has improve big time out of high school. she now tenn best player. tess may be a starter next year or a sub. but she needs time to.

Bad comparison imo. Two totally different types of players. It would take Tess 4-5 games to grab as many as Horston does in one. Horston can guard positions 1-4, while Tess can not guard any legit P5 player at any position. Nothing personal, just my thoughts.

Reactions: glv98
Bad comparison imo. Two totally different types of players. It would take Tess 4-5 games to grab as many as Horston does in one. Horston can guard positions 1-4, while Tess can not guard any legit P5 player at any position. Nothing personal, just my thoughts.
horston and rae and key are our best players.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep, best all round game of the season. The LVs defense can be suffocating when Key is on the floor and they smothered TAM for the last 3 quarters. Offensive side was better with 40% and about 37 from behind the arc. And 6-8 from the FT line (shocked we did not have more attempts actually).

NIce to see Tamari finishing at the rim. And Tess had a solid game with two timely 3s and she held her own defensively for the most part. She is going to be important because she can spread the floor if she keeps shooting at a decent % (back to back games now).

This offense is still a work in progress and they will need Rae's ability to create points. I don't expect her and her flow with the team to be at 100% until later in the season but barring setbacks, lots of reasons to be very optimistic about what this team can do in March.

Midtown... great analysis. One thing I noticed was that both of Tess' threes ( i think) were made after one pass and really early in the shot clock. Maybe we have determined, once the defense gets set, Tess struggles to get her shot off without movement which causes her to rush her mechanics.

I think Tess is a winner on and off the court. I am originally from West Tennessee and know of several acts of kindness that Tess has orchestrated for west Tennesseans with heath issues. Not authorized to give details.

ark game tess was put on ark. best player with no help when she got pick off. yes horston is better on defence.

Midtown... great analysis. One thing I noticed was that both of Tess' threes ( i think) were made after one pass and really early in the shot clock. Maybe we have determined, once the defense gets set, Tess struggles to get her shot off without movement which causes her to rush her mechanics.

I think Tess is a winner on and off the court. I am originally from West Tennessee and know of several acts of kindness that Tess has orchestrated for west Tennesseans with heath issues. Not authorized to give details.
she needs to hit few jumpers inside 3 point line. tess can do it she been called for walks a few times.

First, as Rae works her way back in, the logical consequence is that Tess and probably Sara will see reduced minutes.

Sara has hit a bit of a wall since the SEC season has started whereas I think Tess is starting to find her groove.

I am not sure why Tess is drawing so much ire. She is not a Sydney Smallbone type player who everyone immediately attacked because she was such a defensive liability.
Tess plays smart, her postitioning on both ends of the court is usually spot on. She is now a decent defender and understands that when all else fails direct her match-up toward the "land

Importantly, she is hitting spot up 3s which this team desperately needs.
I just don't think she should have been the starter after the first couple of games.she can't get her own shot and can't create for others and because she's easy to defend she has a low usage rate on offense which hurts us with scoring so I'm not against her just think during Rae injury she should have come off the bench.If she could take an opponent off the dribble my opinion would be different.thats too many 0's for a starter and I'm sure she's a great young lady but I'm giving my opinion by my eye test on the court and I've seen every game except Kansas and OK state

I just don't think she should have been the starter after the first couple of games.she can't get her own shot and can't create for others and because she's easy to defend she has a low usage rate on offense which hurts us with scoring so I'm not against her just think during Rae injury she should have come off the bench.If she could take an opponent off the dribble my opinion would be different.thats too many 0's for a starter and I'm sure she's a great young lady but I'm giving my opinion by my eye test on the court and I've seen every game except Kansas and OK state
Tess did really good in the Kansas and OK state games

VN Store

Back