Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 70 - Ole Miss 58

Sure...

There was NO way that Ole Miss was capable of doing that and no way that Tennessee was capable of losing it.

If you want to say it could happen in a generic game, maybe. I mean, a poster had to find two men's games one from 17 years ago to find an example.

I know. Auriemma IS a creep. We can agree on that, Bballnut1952. And yes, I agree that every serial abuser vehemently denies their behavior. Jerry Sandusky STILL denies all his sick behavior, and his wife stands right behind him. But he did it all, no matter how forcefully he denies it to this day.

Geno Auriemma Sued For Discrimination By NBA Official, Accused Of Sexual Harassment

Did I say she shouldn't have the players on the floor she wants? No. In fact, I totally believe that coaches should be able to play who they want and when they want and not be second guessed.

I know it's difficult to understand logic, but I said it was insane to think that the reason Coach Harper had four starters in was because she was worried about losing a 12 point lead in 30 seconds. It just wasn't gonig to happen. Whatever reason she had for playing who she did is up to her and fine with me.

This attempt to make your point and deny what you said and argue about what you really said !!!

Reminds me of my first divorce while watching my X-wife try and convince the judge what was wrong and her interpretation of what was right and how things were really obviously the way SHE THOUGHT THINGS SHOULD BE !!!

Enjoying your ridiculous banter of frivolous notions . Thanks for the memories! 😁

Reactions: Rickster
This attempt to make your point and deny what you said and argue about what you really said !!!

Reminds me of my first divorce while watching my X-wife try and convince the judge what was wrong and her interpretation of what was right and how things were really obviously the way SHE THOUGHT THINGS SHOULD BE !!!

Enjoying your ridiculous banter of frivolous notions . Thanks for the memories! 😁
Try quoting me. It would help with your accuracy of what I said.

I remember Holly losing a 10 point lead with 48 seconds to go playing A&M. The lead we had with Ole Miss was enough to win, but we weren't taking any players out with 30 seconds left and we couldn't take them out with two minutes left because the lead was 11. I'm not sure why UConn fans care so much. I guess somebody made a big deal about them having a huge lead and not subbing. I don't think it matters either way and is just a point of argument for people that like to argue.

The lead was down to 10 with 45 seconds left and OM possessed the ball.

As Barney Fife used to say, "he's a NUT!"

Sure...

There was NO way that Ole Miss was capable of doing that and no way that Tennessee was capable of losing it.

If you want to say it could happen in a generic game, maybe. I mean, a poster had to find two men's games one from 17 years ago to find an example.

There are many examples of 10 point leads evaporating in the final minute. I Googled and it was easy to find them for men's NCAA and NBA. The women's were not as well chronicled. 10 point leads do disappear in 1 or 2 minutes. 20 point leads do not. Your talking about a 4 possession game vs an 8 possession game.

One of the few stories I remember from my HS coach (because he repeated it so often) was he played on a team that scored 9 points in the final 11 seconds. They hit a 3, got a 5 second call and another 3, got a steal and an And1. In case you didn't watch the game, we already gave up 22 TOs and a five-second call in that game. OM pressure D is legit.

Hard to stop Tennessee offensively if Dye and Horston only take mid-range and layups around the rim. Have to foul them or the will score at least half the time. Teams cannot stop them inside together they dominated Ole Miss. Also need more attention to the kick out for the three. I can see consistent play from the three if Darby, Puckett, and Burrell can get better looks and most of the shots. More of Horston and Dye in the paint when a shot goes up that they are not shooting. Both are terrific on the offensive boards. Were going to win with Horston and Dye taking all their shots in the paint or within 8 feet of the basket. Big win if we can get five or 6 threes from the players that can shoot them. Horston and Dye are 35 to 40 points a game if they take the paint shots 8 foot in.
I think were going to see a lot more teams trying to rough up Key and double her. We'll need Dye and Horston to do more inside when they try this.

Last edited:
Hard to stop Tennessee offensively if Dye and Horston only take mid-range and layups around the rim. Have to foul them or the will score at least half the time. Teams cannot stop them inside together they dominated Ole Miss. Also need more attention to the kick out for the three. I can see consistent play from the three if Darby, Puckett, and Burrell can get better looks and most of the shots. More of Horston and Dye in the paint when a shot goes up that they are not shooting. Both are terrific on the offensive boards. Were going to win with Horston and Dye taking all their shots in the paint or within 8 feet of the basket. Big win if we can get five or 6 threes from the players that can shoot them. Horston and Dye are 35 to 40 points a game if they take the paint shots 8 foot in.
I think were going to see a lot more teams trying to rough up Key and double her. We'll need Dye and Horston to do more inside when they try this.

Couldn't agree more. The emergence of Darby and Puckett as legit three point threats, to go along with Rae, means that Horston doesn't have to make threes, so she can play where her talents lay - near and in the paint. She's a rebounding beast and terrific scorer inside and mid-range. Outside - not so much. Trouble is, if she and Dye are in at the same time with Key, that leaves only one three point shooter on the perimeter, given that our point guards don't shoot the three well. Maybe they should rotate at the four and Key and Green at the five, leaving Puckett, Darby and Rae to rotate on the wings.

Couldn't agree more. The emergence of Darby and Puckett as legit three point threats, to go along with Rae, means that Horston doesn't have to make threes, so she can play where her talents lay - near and in the paint. She's a rebounding beast and terrific scorer inside and mid-range. Outside - not so much. Trouble is, if she and Dye are in at the same time with Key, that leaves only one three point shooter on the perimeter, given that our point guards don't shoot the three well. Maybe they should rotate at the four and Key and Green at the five, leaving Puckett, Darby and Rae to rotate on the wings.
Horston can make the three as well..

Horston can make the three as well..
She can, but not consistently. That's a shot that teams would be more than willing to give to her if it prevents her from taking shots closer to the rim.

Crowding the lane plays to their strengths, but also opens up the opportunity for defenses to just pack the paint...which could work if they can keep Tennessee off the offensive boards. There aren't many teams with the personnel to do that, but there are definitely some (Stanford, SC, LSU, NC State among others) that can do that.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
In conference play Tess Darby is shooting 44.4% from 3pt range through 4 games!
Still not sold on Tess. Her minutes will go down once Rae gets up to speed and she probably won't be able to get into as much of a rhythm. She's good as a spot up shooter when teams are hedging on the posts, but I don't see her being a factor against a good team that has the athletes to play m2m defense.

Still not sold on Tess. Her minutes will go down once Rae gets up to speed and she probably won't be able to get into as much of a rhythm. She's good as a spot up shooter when teams are hedging on the posts, but I don't see her being a factor against a good team that has the athletes to play m2m defense.

i thought the ole miss defenders were good and aggressive and she handled herself well....

she has proven she can play minutes and change up our look. Want a healthy Rae on the floor more but having Tess is just another weapon that have to worry about. Tess has also worked on coming off of screens and hitting shots along with the step back which is going in more and more.

An oldie but a goodie what strikes me most watching this is how FAST this team could play. They could flat get up and down. Candace herself is so fast and has never really gotten enough credit for it. She was chasing down guards on the break and swatting their shots. She coulda been a track star as well.

Still wish Candace would have dunked on that fast break I remember jumping out my chair thinking she was going to throw that one down. Later on found out she was on the wrong side of the rim which makes sense when dunking . Left to right is easier for a right handed player!

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

She makes enough threes that she draws a defender away from the ball when she is out there on the three point arc.

This is rich. Firstly, Kelly has been faulted on this board frequently for giving out too many minutes to her non-starters. Secondly, 12 points is a 4 possession game, and against a team that is leaving its starters in and play slapping, chaotic defense it is not even sensible to take out the starters with 2 minutes left.
ding ding...we have a winner

She makes enough threes that she draws a defender away from the ball when she is out there on the three point arc.
exactly,,,if 3's was her go-to,,,she might be in trouble, but Jordy's game is so versatile that three's is only a part of her arsenal,,,all she has to do is every now and then hit one,,,just to keep her defender honest

VN Store

Back