Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 84 - (19/20) Kentucky 58

Our defense was great in this game, which is interesting as this was the highest FG% we have allowed. Kentucky hit shots pretty well but they only got the shots we wanted them to have. They have talented players but we forced them to take way more time to get their shots than they generally like.

Kentucky's shooting was a reflection of Key's absence more than anything. The entire defense is built around her, and the difference when she isn't on the floor is significant. If she's available the whole game, Kentucky doesn't break 40% shooting. Fortunately, when the offense is hitting 10 three pointers it doesn't matter.

Just more tangible evidence of Key's importance and why her recovery is so important heading into the Georgia game...

Watched the game yesterday with Vol Network sound. Watched again today with Carolyn Peck. Holy cow, if UK had listened to Peck and just gave the ball to Howard every possession and got out of the way, she would have scored 100 points and got every rebound. All she talked about.She kinda changed her tune and gave us some credit with 8 minutes left. All Howard cared about was getting her 25-30 points.
How do you manage to get the sound from the Vol Network in sync with the TV (when I try that, the TV is way behind Mickey)?

I like the description one poster made of Keyen being built to "bully" players down low. If she can keep them away from their favorite spots on the block, she may be able to wear them down and frustrate then if she can avoid foul trouble. She has the experience and superb intelligence to exploit opponents' weaknesses and maximize her own assets.

Yep, she is physical AND very smart.

In all sports, data is accumulating on the outcomes of transfers. I believe coaches, players, parents, and "agents" will be assessing the landscape differently by July 2022.

Reality may provide the needed correction--as is usually (eventually) the case when adolescents are given greater independence with insufficient rules/structure/guidelines.

Unfortunately, among the current crop of institutional influencers, the promise of post-modernism seems to have mutated into "screw reality--let's make up our own" rather than a greater appreciation for reality's complexities--and for the accumulations of wisdom gained by trial-and-error over time.
I think I agree. I will reread with a cocktail tonight to confirm.

Jazz Massengill on the bus ride back to Kentucky “i transferred why again??”

Really unfortunate lose-lose situation. If Massengill would have stayed she solves a significant weakness for this team -- stability at point guard. I would venture to guess her career at Kentucky isn't what she was hoping for...

Yep 17-1, point guard is tragic.😂😂😂
…back to back posts Darth was relatively centered. Close to zero snark. Kellie may have brought him around…

grinch-heart.gif

Kentucky's shooting was a reflection of Key's absence more than anything. The entire defense is built around her, and the difference when she isn't on the floor is significant. If she's available the whole game, Kentucky doesn't break 40% shooting. Fortunately, when the offense is hitting 10 three pointers it doesn't matter.

Just more tangible evidence of Key's importance and why her recovery is so important heading into the Georgia game...

I actually agree with you here. So how about you stop jabbing all those pins into the ankle of your Tamari Key voodoo doll?

How do you manage to get the sound from the Vol Network in sync with the TV (when I try that, the TV is way behind Mickey)?
Sometimes I can sometimes I can’t. I stream the game on hulu. I stream Mickey thru the UTSports site. Sometimes the audio is way too far ahead, sometimes I have to momentarily pause the video to let the audio catch up. Usually have to tweak for a few min, then after halftime tweak more. Sometimes the audio gets further behind after a commercial. It’s hit or miss.

looking at the game recap posted on espn.com Ky made 12 of 28 shots in the first half when TK was in the game. That's 42 % shooting. So why is dert ball so triggered by her absence?

Watched the game yesterday with Vol Network sound. Watched again today with Carolyn Peck. Holy cow, if UK had listened to Peck and just gave the ball to Howard every possession and got out of the way, she would have scored 100 points and got every rebound. All she talked about.She kinda changed her tune and gave us some credit with 8 minutes left. All Howard cared about was getting her 25-30 points.

Peck always fixates on one idea and endlessly repeats it throughout the broadcast regardless of how the game is going. Usually when she calls LV games, her mantra is "they need to get the ball into the paint" even when teams have completely collapsed their defense and the LVs ae accumulating TOs by forcing the ball into a double covered post. She came into the KY game with the obvious belief that it was going to be the "Rhyne Howard Show" and she just can't adapt from her pre-game plan. I am sure some producer began to scream into her headset "hey, wake-up KY is down by 30!" when she finally pivoted a bit.

Last edited:
Debbie Antonelli was trying to talk up EW as a potential #1 pick in the draft about a month ago. I laughed myself off the couch. Her statement didn’t age well. The UCONN faithful now speak of her like she recently passed away. Hushed tones and half compliments. She had a MASSIVE opportunity to rise to the occasion and play outside of herself.

We all saw how it went, and it looked very familiar to those of us here at VolNation. I agonized over her play and watched her games over and over for two seasons. I see little difference, that has to chap Geno. When he talks about “stubborn players” I suspect she is the main culprit he is referring to.
Lobo was as well Epic failure

She had to play conservatively she picked up a foul 1minute into the game

Oh, that first foul. It happened because Dye got an offensive rebound (good!!!!) and then missed the lay-up (bad) and then Tamari was called for a foul going after Dye's miss (double bad). Missing chip shots can have bigger ramifications than just the lost points. Dye would be having a monster season if she just finished more consistently around the rim. Hopefully, that part of her game comes around very soon.

looking at the game recap posted on espn.com Ky made 12 of 28 shots in the first half when TK was in the game. That's 42 % shooting. So why is dert ball so triggered by her absence?

Better question, why are you so triggered by my praise for Key?

Kentucky shot 48% in the second half, 33% from three. But I'm sure that's a coincidence...

Reactions: mcannon1

She sat out most of the first qtr with a quick foul IIRC. And she wasn't really getting out and contesting shots like she normally does when she was in. I don't know if that is because she might have tweaked that ankle in practice originally, or whether she was saving her fouls for later, or whether KY was pulling up further out. Certainly some combination of those reasons.

But you would have to get scoring and lineups per minute to know the percentages shot while she was on the court. You can't just go by halves. Her plus/minus is usually the best on the team the times I have looked at it.

No one is going to contest that she changes the game for us on defense though, no matter what a qtr worth of stats here or there say.

Better question, why are you so triggered by my praise for Key?

Kentucky shot 48% in the second half, 33% from three. But I'm sure that's a coincidence...
When we say "Kentucky" though, we really mean Howard and to a lesser extent Massengill. The rest of the team was shut down pretty thoroughly, hence a 26 point loss despite Howard herself playing well. It does definitely speak to the inside presence that Tamari poses, making elite players think twice about taking midrange jumpers while she's on the floor.

I don't believe you were praising Key, you were just trying to disparage the team somehow some way and coming up short.

Comments about the game from Rivals fan board Rupps Rafters....

Looks interesting today.

UT leads 22-21 in 2nd Quarter.

Her shoes look like stilts
First time I’ve ever seen a coach wearing those.

And Rhyne Howard is the worst defender I’ve ever seen. And honestly, very lazy.
Team just don’t play with the same energy as they did under Mitchell
UK has a women's team?

38-27 TN at the half

Our team just gets MAULED on the boards!!! It is PITIFUL how many offensive rebounds we give up. Until our coaches start recruiting Bigs that can defend the rim and rebound, we will NEVER contend for a title.
We are getting out hustled and just don't seem to have the basketball instinct we need. Tennessee goes after rebounds, we stand there and wait for them to come to us which is why we get very few. When you have the best player in college basketball you should never allow a team to have a 14 point run on you. Robin Benton and Jada Walker flat out hustle when they are on the floor, everybody else goes 3 quarter speed which leads to getting beat down the floor and out rebounded.
I refuse to watch them until they get a new coach. During her first BBM, her and the rest of the coaching staff were dancing like they worked at a strip club. Time for Mitch to take women’s basketball seriously. I mean, the coach has the right shoes on for that.

She’s a 7’ and wears 8” heels makes no sense. Seems like a nice lady but there lies the problem. Players like Howard play at 75% it’s hard to watch. Mitch like with Joker- Billy G - Mingione- just missed on this one
She couldn’t coach a wet paper bag.

Worse hire since Billy G.

What little I've watched, they have good enough athletes but the team plays at half speed. There is very little hustle. I'd put that on the coach for tolerating that. It starts at practice. That is why they will achieve very little until that coach is gone.
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies. See them derided before you. Hear the lamentation of their vermin."
UK Hoops and baseball are slowly withering back to complete suckitude due to Mitch B's reluctance/refusal to fire the respective head coaches of each sport.

Carolyn Peck saying things we have been talking about all year.

Mitchell put the program on the map big time. Starting next year it will have fallen completely off it.

Hopefully the next coach will be better but not expecting it. Elzy was a diversity hire not that black women shouldn’t be highly considered. She didn’t have the bona fides tho and that is the problem.

Howard just marking time until the pros next year.

They actually don’t! I can’t remember the last time they showed up for a game 😂

What’s funny is Mitchell has ridiculed constantly on here but now everyone misses him. Mitchell had built a pretty good women’s program and Elzy has destroyed it.

Only Mitch would Hire the interim coach as full time coach after only 6 games.

Amen brother this is so horrible absolutely horrible. This will make like the 3rd or 4th a$$ whooping this team has taken this year. This is totally unacceptable. Way to go Mitch way to go!

An embarrassment to the university. All losers. How could anybody go watch them at home. Players could really care less. Most of them not too good. Coach is crap. How does anybody stand watching it?

Howard is a top 2 player in UK history

Wow 77-47 5:59 to go in the game you can tell Elzy isn’t cut out for this kind of a gig!

The coach is a complete joke and Barnhart was a total clown hiring her full time. Barnhart has been an abysmal failure with regard to women’s basketball and baseball. And doesn’t have the balls to make a change.

I will continue to watch because I’m a fan of UK but damn they get blown away about every game they’re on TV anymore!
I’ll start out watching but may turn the channel before it’s over lol!
I changed to the 49ers Cowboys game today.

Under Mitchell she played hard. Now she is like all the other players, going half speed with no pride. At least Elzy's beloved TN won.

Matthew Mitchell tried to cut down on some of that skillet licking they had going on after hours amongst teammates. He didn’t put up with much of that stuff. Elzy don’t seem to care so much and in turn you have chemistry messed up and the players see her more as a friend than they do a teacher/coach.

Well it may be. I’m sorry you didn’t like it. 🤦🏻‍♂️ They have a different dynamic going on over there though now. It’s actually closer to the truth than a lot of ppl would care to admit, accept or know about but hell I understand that it wasn’t all politically correct but I don’t even care bout women’s basketball but I am familiar with a few problems they’ve had this season. So terrible post as it was.. let me just say I’m glad the men team is winning and hope they ain’t up in the Lodge carrying on like the women are. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back