Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 84 - (19/20) Kentucky 58

Is Kentucky a generally quicker team than Tennessee? I don’t know how, but I have somehow managed to not catch more than a few minutes of a Kentucky game this season. 😩

Anyway, the teams with a lot of quickness are the ones that worry me the most, and from what I’ve seen so far this season LSU and Missouri are on that list. It’s more the combo of quickness and no-quit toughness.

Tennessee has no-quit toughness by the boatload. But quickness? I wouldn’t call us a quick team — not slow, but not quick enough to get a lot of steals against a speedy team, or quick enough to prevent a truly quick team from getting into our passing lanes and such.

I’m rambling again. lol

A big key for UK a year ago was having Chasity Patterson at the point. She had 21 on us in Lexington a year ago. Their guard play hasn’t been super impressive to me up to this point and SC exploited them a lot . We should kill them on the boards and if we keep everyone in check , I think we will be fine. I expect Howard to get hers regardless. Kellie has shown she’s okay with letting one player go off , but our D hasn’t allowed anyone else to also post big numbers.

Is Kentucky a generally quicker team than Tennessee? I don’t know how, but I have somehow managed to not catch more than a few minutes of a Kentucky game this season. 😩

Anyway, the teams with a lot of quickness are the ones that worry me the most, and from what I’ve seen so far this season LSU and Missouri are on that list. It’s more the combo of quickness and no-quit toughness.

Tennessee has no-quit toughness by the boatload. But quickness? I wouldn’t call us a quick team — not slow, but not quick enough to get a lot of steals against a speedy team, or quick enough to prevent a truly quick team from getting into our passing lanes and such.

I’m rambling again. lol

I think we bother quick teams with our length/defense and Rae/Horston/Dye aren’t necessarily a slow group.

While we have turnovers, for the most part we defend them well or they’re dead balls. We’re beginning to shoot a much better percentage from the FT line and overall as well. If we can continue to get the turnovers under control we’ll start to continue seeing us win comfortably. Mind you while some of those turnovers are from Horston and others when we overplay a bit, a lot of those come when we are subbing in for PT/development purposes.

I realize you all know more about WBB than me. Saying that, I am really impressed with Key on defense. She can block, alter shots, and rebound causing a lot of probems for opponents. Her only negative IMO is a tendency to foul. Is there a better defensive center in women's college basketball? I know a handful might have a better all around game but on defense she is as good as anyone IMO.

I’m rambling again. lol

Snoop is quick. So is Jordy and Miles and Wynn. Burrell and Green have some quickness.

I realize you all know more about WBB than me. Saying that, I am really impressed with Key on defense. She can block, alter shots, and rebound causing a lot of probems for opponents. Her only negative IMO is a tendency to foul. Is there a better defensive center in women's college basketball? I know a handful might have a better all around game but on defense she is as good as anyone IMO.

You’re right. She’s definitely a top 5 Center no matter the class in college ball right now and the top center defensively. Her game is similar to LaToya Pringle with her length bothers the other team. While not a scorer Pringle was always a great/important part to her teams because her defense allowed others to cheat/overplay. She wasn’t flashy offensively but she was definitely effective in college and leaned on her defense in Pro’s. Key is similar skillset/effect with a higher ceiling and affect on both offense and defense due to the height differential.

Snoop is quick. So is Jordy and Miles and Wynn. Burrell and Green have some quickness.

Jordy is amazing. Love her, love her game, love her desire, love how she is taking ownership of this team. But I don't consider Jordy to be quick. "Quick," to my eye, is what Miles and Wynn are most definitely, and Alexus is most of the time. Jordy, for the most part, glides into shots, and her hands and feet aren't even close to being Miles-quick. I'd love to see everyone on the team play Miles and Wynn in the old "slap game" and see who, if anyone, could match those two. I doubt they could.

Today’s Vols game was the first in many years I had to turn away barely half-way through. I couldn’t bear watching them get so thoroughly humiliated. The one and only positive of that game was that it wasn’t at TBA.

The guys had better somehow put that mess completely out of their minds immediately if they have any hopes of finishing top 5 in the SEC.

Our game against USC will pit the top 2 centers in the NCAA against each other.

I’m rambling again. lol
I was with you the whole way😃

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Our game against USC will pit the top 2 centers in the NCAA against each other.

I think Key is top 5, but she is definitely not top 2. She barely averages 10 points a game and she is not a great rebounder for her size. The fact she is top 5 speaks volume about her defense. The two best centers are Boston and Ayoki Lee from Kansas State in my opinion.

I think Key is top 5, but she is definitely not top 2. She barely averages 10 points a game and she is not a great rebounder for her size. The fact she is top 5 speaks volume about her defense. The two best centers are Boston and Ayoki Lee from Kansas State in my opinion.

I agree and the thing is; I think Key would cancel Lee out one on one and of course we’ll see the matchup with Boston soon but that’s what makes her a top center. Too often great defense goes unheralded in the women’s game. Key is burgeoning into an Elite level defensive presence in front of our eyes and W scouts see the impact and are licking their chops right now.

Her offense I think has caught up SOME but most of it is just confidence in being the best post on the floor at all times. Another off season and I think we see another huge step forward but this season I just wish the step forward would be taking the open jumper. They’re giving it to her each game, I’m not saying shoot a three but even shooting one or two from the elbow each game to keep team honest would go a long way… and I’ve seen her make them in games and practice video so…

ANOTHER who should be a top pick is Horston… she and Haley Jones as similar in skillset and mentality… we could have 2 lottery picks next year if this season and next play out well

VN Store

Back