Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 65 - Vanderbilt 51

I finally see a difference in Kellie and Pat!!!
At around the 3 minute point of the forth quarter when to me the gals sorta "packed it in" (got sloppy, lost intensity ,etc.) Pat would have called a time-out and chewed some posterior!!! Kellie just took it in stride.
I don't know, maybe it's a sign of the times, but their are still some "old line coaches" out there who would have reacted like Pat.
Don't misunderstand, I am not badmouthing Kellie just finally noticed a difference in style. Just a little- -

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Miss State center Jessika Carter might need a new home next season if I were her I would leave all that stufff that happened at Mississippi State University and start over at the University of Tennessee

Wouldn’t go there. That young woman needs to focus on her mental health. I don’t think we will see her play in college again.

Also don’t think it would be a good idea to bring all her personal issues to a team that is getting along and having fun.

The basket to our bench gave up 47 points all night. The basket to Vandys bench gave up 69 points. We played better offensively towards their bench and so did they.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You wonder if Vandy will ever build another arena. The place they play in was built in 1952. I am glad we only play there once a year it is really different than playing anywhere else.
They have a project underway for a new $300M athletic complex project that I understand will rework Memorial.

TENNESSEE_McCORVEY_JOY.jpg
Not on my watch...
No disrespect to Coach Joy, she’s done a great job…but I would like to see some more versatility in TK’s offensive game. She doesnt have to do it all the time, once or twice will be sufficient.

No disrespect to Coach Joy, she’s done a great job…but I would like to see some more versatility in TK’s offensive game. She doesnt have to do it all the time, once or twice will be sufficient.
I wish they could pull her out to the elbow for a couple shots a game if she makes them keep doing it. That would certainly help her Dye, and Horston if she could make that shot. Would clear out the post some for drives and paint shots.

I wish they could pull her out to the elbow for a couple shots a game if she makes them keep doing it. That would certainly help her Dye, and Horston if she could make that shot. Would clear out the post some for drives and paint shots.

Tamari has proven she can hit the 15 foot jumper, she’s done it a few times. They practically give her that space because they know she is not likely to shoot from there. This consistent threat from even outside would add another element to her game offensively, while keeping the defense to be honest, and allow for cuts by other players.

yet another coach saying “we were getting wide open shots we just weren’t hitting them.”

No, actually, you hit the #1 FG% defense in the country and you struggled!!! Just call it what it is.

They did take a lot of open 3s but that’s because they had to shoot from 30’ all night. They got very few good looks at the basket after that first quarter. Their post got a few looks on the pick and pop but once we adjusted they really didn’t get anything else out of their offense all night. Most the rest of their scores were transition buckets off turnovers and they still missed a lot of those.

They had 20 more shots than us. LOL they were wide open for a reason. but the reality is i might have seen two legal screens set all season against us. These ladies do an awesome job getting around moving screens.

Tamari still has untapped potential but it may take her getting into the WNBA to complete her game. Not uncommon for players to do that where it's BB full time 24-7 then. And your getting paid to get better. Not a shot at TN coaches but college has a lot of distractions and you also have to go to class.

Last year she hit those elbow and free throw jumpers a few times i'd like to see it more as well . She has become more mobile around the basket.

I would like to see her take someone off the dribble or use the other side of the rim like she did earlier in the season.

I didn’t watch the end but why would she be discouraged???

VolBall09 and others have discussed this fairly thoroughly, but one other thing I noticed on tv was a shot of the bench around the final minute or so. Kellie was sitting beside Emily talking to her, and Em didn't seem too engaged. Couldn't exactly read Emily's lips when she responded to Kellie, but the energy wasn't there.

A lot easier to accept bench time as a freshman vs. junior season. Like being the backup QB on a really good team, it's a tough place to be. Em has the offensive tools; if her defense improves, maybe she can have a breakout senior season and flourish. Well, we know that Kellie isn't afraid to go to the bench, so that's not the problem. I think Jessie has accepted her role and will just enjoy the college experience and degree.

Of course, maybe Emily just hasn't been feeling well. Don't want to read too much into these things. I used to have people ask me, "What's wrong?" when I was just tired and had no idea that I was projecting unhappiness.

Last edited:
VolBall09 and others have discussed this fairly thoroughly, but one other thing I noticed on tv was a shot of the bench around the final minute or so. Kellue was sitting beside Emily talking to her, and Em didn't seem too engaged. Couldn't exactly read Emily's lips when she responded to Kellie, but the energy wasn't there.

A lot easier to accept bench time as a freshman vs. junior season. Like being the backup QB on a really good team, it's a tough place to be. Em has the offensive tools; if her defense improves, maybe she can have a breakout senior season and flourish. Well, we know that Kellie isn't afraid to go to the bench, so that's not the problem. I think Jessie has accepted her role and will just enjoy the college experience and degree.

Of course, maybe Emily just hasn't been feeling well. Don't want to read too much into these things. I used to have people ask me, "What's wrong?" when I was just tired and had no idea that I was projecting unhappiness.
I guess people see what they want to see or something. I didn't get a feeling Emily was disengaged. It looked to me like they were discussing her role on the floor when she went into the game. Business like. That's how I saw it.

I guess people see what they want to see or something. I didn't get a feeling Emily was disengaged. It looked to me like they were discussing her role on the floor when she went into the game. Business like. That's how I saw it.

You may be 100% right, and that would make me a happy person. We love all our Lady Vols from one end of the bench to the other. They are fine young women on and off the court.

I have no idea if basketball is even in her future. Hopefully she finds peace.
The difference is that we support our athletes here above and beyond some places. We also have someone who is a phone call away who can help her navigate through her issues (Chamique Holdsclaw) as long as Kellie is comfortable with it, I would be. I also think we have a better current staff (assistants) that will help her as well. I don't see anything wrong with bringing her in if interested and seeing if she is okay.

I knew Kellie's teams have been improving since she started but this year you can really see it, Aggressive defense, great rebounding the offense isn't just run and gun like previous teams. You can see the offense is way more under control and they utilize the fast break when it's right. They make better passes. You can see she has already had a positive effect on the freshman. They play " smarter basketball" .....

The only thing I noticed last night was they missed a wide open Darby multiple times. A few of the times the result were some bad shots or much lower % shots..

Maybe the name across our players' torsos doesn't strike fear into opponents' hearts (yet), but have to wonder if our defensive reputation, even without Key, forces some opponents into rushing their shots.
Oh, I believe it already does. Don’t know if it’s the Defense, or the ranking, or the Tennessee name itself, but I’ve noticed more than one SEC team look pretty dejected on their bench. 🙂

Everything evolves and as we see the schedule progress we see teams trying to totally take out Key from the Tennessee offensive plans. In the last two games the problem has been Jordan Horston, Alexus Dye and others keep making it a non factor as they make the plays we need to score.

I knew Kellie's teams have been improving since she started but this year you can really see it, Aggressive defense, great rebounding the offense isn't just run and gun like previous teams. You can see the offense is way more under control and they utilize the fast break when it's right. They make better passes. You can see she has already had a positive effect on the freshman. They play " smarter basketball" .....

The only thing I noticed last night was they missed a wide open Darby multiple times. A few of the times the result were some bad shots or much lower % shots..
I thought they might have quit throwing to her on purpose after she missed three wide open threes early. I definitely saw a couple times they looked her way, but decided on another play. Not being mean to her but she got five wide open looks and only made one. You have to make more of those if you are the three point shooter.

Had to watch on my phone and could still tell that the charge on Horston was bullsh*t. The NCAA needs to look at how they call charges. Letting short, squat, non-athletic players walk underneath a superstar while they are in the air is completely heinous. That’s how you ruin seasons and careers. Horston is a leader, whilst the dirty Vanderbilt player waddles underneath her midair. Unacceptable. And Kellie needs to make sure the entire NCAA knows her grievance about this. Prior to that she made all her floaters and was having a beautiful game. Amazing what happens with some dirty a$$ play. Is this what Ralphnis gonna do?
It was I laughed about it like she did because we were so far ahead it was not that important. Refs in SEC and WCB in general are weak we just have to live with it.

VN Store

Back