VANDERBILT

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)
Stats

1639191556012-png.419486

Go Lady Vols

Last edited:
25+ point win in a snoozefest. Key will feast on their inside players. Expect to see Saunders and Rennie in the game early in the 4th.

I'm going with 72-45, with the rebounding difference being about the same as the MOV.
That would be wonderful! I thought Vandy was shooting more 3 balls. Their 3% is lower than I thought, but if they get hot that will decrease our defensive rebounds. Keep up with the defensive pressure and we’ll get that W. Hoping Rae finds here offensive groove this game too.

25+ point win in a snoozefest. Key will feast on their inside players. Expect to see Saunders and Rennie in the game early in the 4th.

I'm going with 72-45, with the rebounding difference being about the same as the MOV.
Hope you are correct but do not think so .Have you seen Vandy play this year ? They are much improved and playing in that Vandy cracker box of a gym is always a challenge.

Hope you are correct but do not think so .Have you seen Vandy play this year ? They are much improved and playing in that Vandy cracker box of a gym is always a challenge.
I have seen them. They are improving, but they are still small and don't shoot well...especially from outside, which has long been their bread and butter. They are going to get swallowed up by Tennessee's length all over the court. This is one of those games that if Tennessee struggles, then it will be because they played down to the level of their competition. I honestly don't see this as being much of a challenge for Tennessee considering who they've played/beaten to date, cracker box gym be damned.

That crazy floor layout at Vandy seems to be a bit of an advantage for them. Always wanted to play on it one time just to see how it would effect you. Can't imagine an elevated floor wouldn't effect you some.

You never know how well your team will play in any game. I know that we should be able to crash the boards on this team and really control the second chance points. They have some good three point shooters and will be playing full court trapping defense probably from the beginning. I would look for a lot of free throws that may be Vandy's best defense considering how we've shot the ball at the line this season. If we can throw down five or six threes in the game it could be a bad night for Vandy. I would think they couldn't get to 60 points in the game so scoring over sixty should seal another road win. I'm thinking something like 70 to 55 Tennessee win.

Just don’t see how Vandy can keep this one very close. They top out at 6’2” with Washington primarily playing “center” for them. I think 6’2” is a generous billing for her as well. In the games I watched she does not look even that big, 6’ on a good day.

They have absolutely nobody who can check our post players, even with a double. I suspect they will be forced to play zone. We have been attacking the zone much better when teams try to go to it. That’s when Horston and Dye are contributing a lot. Darby and Puckett hitting from the outside will likely be very important to open things up a bit.

Vandy is not much of a 3 point shooting team so not sure where posters are coming up with that. Moore can shoot it but that’s about it. They have not seen anywhere near the length they will see tomorrow. They count on paint points to win games and you just aren’t going to win that battle against this Tennessee team. They get a lot of layups in their offense but those will be blocked/shots turnovers against Tennessee.

Everyone is talking about the Vandy defense but I’m not seeing what they’re seeing. They play aggressive slap and grab defense but are not fundamentally sound. Only holding teams to about 40% shooting. Again, no way they can guard us in the paint. Not just Tamari either. Really don’t think they even have a player than can check Puckett on the block. Let alone Dye and Green. And there is absolutely no way they can keep all our players off the boards. They’re gonna have to box Tamari with two so I expect a lot of second chance points for Horston and Dye.

I’m calling this one 75-55. Would be an even bigger spread if we were playing at home. We may even hold them under 50 if the officiating isn’t terrible. They have a hard time manufacturing points even against very crappy teams. They have barely broken 50 against the better teams they have played.

Just don’t see how Vandy can keep this one very close. They top out at 6’2” with Washington primarily playing “center” for them. I think 6’2” is a generous billing for her as well. In the games I watched she does not look even that big, 6’ on a good day.

They have absolutely nobody who can check our post players, even with a double. I suspect they will be forced to play zone. We have been attacking the zone much better when teams try to go to it. That’s when Horston and Dye are contributing a lot. Darby and Puckett hitting from the outside will likely be very important to open things up a bit.

Vandy is not much of a 3 point shooting team so not sure where posters are coming up with that. Moore can shoot it but that’s about it. They have not seen anywhere near the length they will see tomorrow. They count on paint points to win games and you just aren’t going to win that battle against this Tennessee team. They get a lot of layups in their offense but those will be blocked/shots turnovers against Tennessee.

Everyone is talking about the Vandy defense but I’m not seeing what they’re seeing. They play aggressive slap and grab defense but are not fundamentally sound. Only holding teams to about 40% shooting. Again, no way they can guard us in the paint. Not just Tamari either. Really don’t think they even have a player than can check Puckett on the block. Let alone Dye and Green. And there is absolutely no way they can keep all our players off the boards. They’re gonna have to box Tamari with two so I expect a lot of second chance points for Horston and Dye.

I’m calling this one 75-55. Would be an even bigger spread if we were playing at home. We may even hold them under 50 if the officiating isn’t terrible. They have a hard time manufacturing points even against very crappy teams. They have barely broken 50 against the better teams they have played.

They came within two of Zona, correct?

They came within two of Zona, correct?

Correct. Early in the season and a game where Arizona had 25 turnovers and played terrible. (Vandy had 26 or would have won) Those Caribbean tournaments are hard to make predictions off of anyhow. Often times with all the travel and extra fun players are not as focused. Like Stanford losing to USF. Same for Oregon. I thought they had a terrible game down there because all their players were sunburned. They were all visibly bright red and looked totally zapped from too much beach time.

When Vandy and Arizona were playing in the paradise jam it was obvious Az was still trying to figure out their guard situation.

I maintain Arizona is way over ranked at the moment (still). Aari McDonald was the engine that made that ship run on both ends of the floor. The PAC-12 is going to shake that out but expect to see them drop from where they are currently.

Last edited:
Having the Ole Miss game right before this was really great IMO. Two teams that try to force a lot of turnovers. Vandy forces 20 per game but also commits 18 so only have a +2 advantage.

Our guards were bothered by the Ole Miss pressure and that will be very similar to what we see tomorrow night. Should have given Kellie and staff a lot to work with in practice and film this last week. I’ll bet we see the turnovers much better tomorrow night.

Interesting because Kellie and Shea have been opponents previously.

From UT Sports Hoops Central:

"The duo's careers at UT and UConn overlapped from 1996-97 to 1998-99, with Harper (then known as Kellie Jolly) helping lead UT to the second and third of three-straight NCAA titles in 1997 and 1998, while Ralph contributed to a UConn crown in 1999-2000 after Harper had graduated. Harper was 4-2 as a player vs. UConn, including 3-1 in games when both were on the rosters of the respective programs."

VN Store

Back