Game Notes (PDF)

CONNECTICUT

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes

Go Lady Vols

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Geno said he's starting Aubrey Griffin (who had a career night against us)....alot of ppl are saying Marta wont be able to keep up with her hope thats not the case

Last edited:
Geno said he's starting Aubrey Griffin (who had a career night against us)....alot of ppl are saying Marta wont be able to keep up with her hope thats not the case

Griffin is only 6-1 but she can jump even with Marta at 6-3 Griffin can still shoot right over the top of her. Let`s just see what happens in the game.

pR1Lli1B

Players,

Only a few people expect much of a contest, but it don’t matter what “they” think…It matters what you “know”… The team that went down and whipped Alabama can play with anybody, ANYBODY!!,,,But that is the team that has to show up. The team that put personal matters behind them,,,The team that had belief that ALA had no chance,,,the team that stood tall and did not fold at the first sign of resistance,,,That team, I was proud of!,,,…That team, is the team that needs to show up tomorrow…Bring that team with you and the connies will go home with their tails between their legs…3-things : 1-the post players have to send a message early “My house, My ball, My court, My paint. Dare them to come into your paint…2-Rennia, Jordan, Rae,,No disappearing act. From minute one till minute last make your presence known and do not back off that pedal for even a second. Don’t force things, but also don’t shy away from what you have to do to win….3-Don’t go looking for an outside reason to compete and win, look inwardly and compete because this is for you,,,not for Pat, not for the public, not for an injured player. For this game the motivation has to be personal!

Make me proud!
Coach J

Coach Jumper's prediction: UT 77 UCONN 72

Last edited:
This game will allow us to see where we truly are against a true perennial national championship powerhouse. It will expose are weaknesses as well as reveal our strengths. It will teach and give us more experience on the biggest stage, a stage that use to belong to us, and will challenge coaches and players alike to become more that what we currently are. It is a game like this that you come to Tennessee, to be on the biggest stage, it is women's basketball as it should be, UCONN vs TENN. I hope to see a great game on both sides, but as always Go Lady Vols.

Hoping we get up for them tomorrow. I have faith this team will. They jumped on Bama in that second quarter like I haven’t seen a Lady Vol team do in a decade. 19-0 run to end the first and start the second was impressive.

The UGA game may have been the best thing to happen to us as much as I hate to say that. Last season at UCONN we had the lead at the half and then imploded in the 3rd quarter. Not unlike the UGA game. Rectifying that issue in the Bama game hopefully sets us up for playing a full 40 minutes tomorrow.

Very unlikely we take a double digit lead into the half but if we have any lead at all we have got to try our best to maintain it. It if comes down to the wire in a close game I would give it to UCONN. Geno is just too tough to beat in those situations.

UCONN has not been tested at all this season. Particularly against size. DePaul is the best team they have played and DePaul has no size. If we execute well they could have a very tough night. Bueckers included. She’s played really well but she hasn’t met a team that goes 6’5”/6’4” in the post that’s always a new challenge for freshman and not one that’s easy to simulate in practice. She has also never been guarded by a big guard like Horston. Our size could present a lot of problems for them offensively.

I actually think we will be able to keep them in front better than LSU. Westbrook is not quick, no matter how much people want to say she’s gotten faster, she’s still slow. Bueckers is not as quick as someone like Pointer and has a different style of play. She likes to make a move to try to get to the rim and she’s going to meet Tamari’s arms on several of those plays.

Our transition D must be tighter. Even though we blew out Bama we gave up several transition layups just because our guards didn’t stop the ball in transition. Even if it’s a forward bringing the ball up the guards are still responsible for stopping the ball before they get inside the key. If you let them dribble right into the paint the bigs cannot stop that without fouling.

If Tennessee can limit their turnovers to say, 5-6 in a half, it may be a good game. If Tennessee sniffs the same number of turnovers they did last year (26? 27?), it will not be much of a game. UConn came out (surprisingly) nervous last year at home; they were off their game for a half and that's not something I've seen from them in forever. With no crowd to amp up the game this year, I sadly feel like they'll probably be more composed at tipoff. Just a fancy scrimmage environment, and I think that helps them. I want Tennessee to beat the ever-living snot out of them, but I feel like they have really talented options everywhere on the court (and as we've discussed in the recruiting threads, Bueckers came in and played like a top ranked recruit usually does). They don't have the deepest post roster and size worked in Tennessee's favor last year. Maybe. But Davis and Burrell have to be firing on all cylinders, definitely, for this to be a good game. Davis in particular, she's had some ups and downs. They need her to be up tomorrow. 100% up.

This game will allow us to see where we truly are against a true perennial national championship powerhouse. It will expose are weaknesses as well as reveal our strengths. It will teach and give us more experience on the biggest stage, a stage that use to belong to us, and will challenge coaches and players alike to become more that what we currently are. It is a game like this that you come to Tennessee, to be on the biggest stage, it is women's basketball as it should be, UCONN vs TENN. I hope to see a great game on both sides, but as always Go Lady Vols.

Exactly!!!!! you said it all.....

I dont think we are gonna win😕...but I love all the optimism on this board and would like for them to make me eat my words

#GoLadyVols

Lose by more than 10 tomorrow and all optimism will be gone on here. Will be back to the "Kellie is no better than Holly" that you saw after the Georgia game. We won the last game so it is all rainbows and unicorns this week...................so far.

I originally predicted that this would be a record-setting margin of loss in TBA for the Lady Vols. I've since changed my mind. I'm not picking them to win, but I think they can. We've seen what they are capable of at their "highs" (Alabama, Arkansas). If Horston, Burrell, Davis and Key come to play, they will be tough for anyone to beat...including UConn. If both teams play well, I think it's a single digit game with a "pick 'em" winner. If one of them doesn't play well (and the other doesn't hand it to them - looking at you last season, Tennessee!), it could be a blow-out. I for one am every eager to see how Tennessee responds to this challenge.

VN Store

Back