Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #16/18 TEXAS A&M

I think Key working with a true post player over the summer is the best way to get her offense skills up to speed ?

I have taught the skyhook to several players
it is different from the traditional "George Mikan windmill hook"

release is different,
ball movement is different
footwork is different

Would love to work with her on offense
Who knows

Meanwhile, I observed Gary Blair having nice conversations on the sideline with the officials, even noticing one official relaying her conversation with Blair to another official.

I might have yelled that they needed to give him a striped shirt at one point in the game!:cool:

Yes, she was. Kellie was fortunate she didn't get a technical (or two), but I know we all are enjoying her willingness to passionately stand up for her team. I absolutely LOVE this about Harper. At one point it appeared that Jon was trying to calm her down a little. lol

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Amazingly were a nine seed according to Creme. I guess that last loss was considered a quality loss or something as we moved from a 10 to a 9. We have to start winning and beating Arkansas looks tough unless we go in there are use our height to dominate them on the boards which we should be able to do but we don't know what we'll get.

Were still on the main chart wait and see where we are tomorrow. If we go down to last four in then Arkansas loss could put us out. Of course winning the last three could squeeze us in. I don't think it matters a lot going to get put out early even if we get in.
Way to be positive!!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Yes, she was. Kellie was fortunate she didn't get a technical (or two), but I know we all are enjoying her willingness to passionately stand up for her team. I absolutely LOVE this about Harper. At one point it appeared that Jon was trying to calm her down a little. lol
Need more of that from her!!

I have taught the skyhook to several players
it is different from the traditional "George Mikan windmill hook"

release is different,
ball movement is different
footwork is different

Would love to work with her on offense
Who knows

Can we not start this again? Please do NOT offer to help them personally. That is crossing a line you have no business crossing.

Everyone on here knows you’ve had issues with the athletic department in the past. I am still angry after hearing you were intentionally trying to make eye contact with players at shoot around. That’s distracting and grossly inappropriate. Borderline stalking.

We all know you’re not the answer CJ. I appreciate some of the things you bring to this board, but you’re not an elite basketball coach. Let that ship sail dude.

Can we not start this again? Please do NOT offer to help them personally. That is crossing a line you have no business crossing.

Everyone on here knows you’ve had issues with the athletic department in the past. I am still angry after hearing you were intentionally trying to make eye contact with players at shoot around. That’s distracting and grossly inappropriate. Borderline stalking.

We all know you’re not the answer CJ. I appreciate some of the things you bring to this board, but you’re not an elite basketball coach. Let that ship sail dude.
But...he can be there tomorrow. Haven't you heard🤷‍♂️?

I can't mind to this site during my work hours without breaking employee rules. I would ask that you post attacks towards me after 4 p.m. and I can answer them without letting them build momentum like last night. I will address this and you at 4 p.m.

I am on break now so address this immediately. If you remember I posted that I watch the pregame warm-ups from that section. And the topic at that time was that this site is not read by anyone associated with UT Lady Vols basketball. I did not try to make eye contact with anyone I simply stated that I had noticed a response to the fact had I sat in a certain section nothing more. But like everything else I say I get microscopically picked apart.

Amazingly were a nine seed according to Creme. I guess that last loss was considered a quality loss or something as we moved from a 10 to a 9. We have to start winning and beating Arkansas looks tough unless we go in there are use our height to dominate them on the boards which we should be able to do but we don't know what we'll get.

That's not exactly good news. We'd be better off as a 10 or 11 seed than in the 8-9 bracket

Reactions: Volfan2012
That's not exactly good news. We'd be better off as a 10 or 11 seed than in the 8-9 bracket
Not good news unless you are looking at the present. It means were still in by eight or nine teams. The hope would be we'd start winning and improve that or lose and still stay in even if it were 10 or 11. Eight or nine are terrible draws worse than 10 or 11 getting that low means you have a greater chance of being totally left out. I think the ideal for us is to find some way to get to seven or six or drop down to 10. The 8 or 9 are very bad and most certainly a second round exit.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I can't mind to this site during my work hours without breaking employee rules. I would ask that you post attacks towards me after 4 p.m. and I can answer them without letting them build momentum like last night. I will address this and you at 4 p.m.

I posted that this morning. I also stand by my statement. As I said, I think you bring great contribution to this board and are obviously a die hard LV fan.

My issue lies with when you try to cross the boundary from internet fantasy to real life. We are just fans. To presume that you are somehow more qualified to teach these players than FOUR coaches with extensive experience, plus a host of support staff, is asinine.

Best to keep out of it and not try to personally involve yourself in the player’s lives or the program.

Last edited:
Yes, a post with a quick first step can be a huge asset. Often times players with Keys build develop that move, they are thin and get pushed away from the basket. If you can learn to catch, pivot and take one quick dribble to the hoop? You can shoot layups all night.

Megan Gustafson made a career of this move at Iowa. No sooner had she received the pass, the ball was off the glass for a layup.

Yes, and she isn’t as big as key. Gustafson was an excellent offensive player early in her career as well though. She always got early position and her best asset was her hands. If you could get the pass anywhere near her she was going to snatch it and shoot a layup in the same second.

Key really needs to work on catching tough passes in the off season.

Yes, and she isn’t as big as key. Gustafson was an excellent offensive player early in her career as well though. She always got early position and her best asset was her hands. If you could get the pass anywhere near her she was going to snatch it and shoot a layup in the same second.

Key really needs to work on catching tough passes in the off season.

Let`s be fair she should work on her hands. But some of the passes were just awful and should not have been thrown. And yes she should get better at catching tough passes. The good thing after this season she should be able to work with some ex post players.

I posted that this morning. I also stand by my statement. As I said, I think you bring great contribution to this board and are obviously a die hard LV fan.

My issue lies with when you try to cross the boundary from internet fantasy to real life. We are just fans. To presume that you are somehow more qualified to teach these players than FOUR coaches with extensive experience, plus a host of support staff, is asinine.

Best to keep out of it and not try to personally involve yourself in the player’s lives or the program.

#restrainingorder4jumper

Wisdom can sometimes come from a child.

A young woman told me today to not let them provoke you.
I asked how in the world can I do that, she just looked at me and said, "If they're not important in your life, just don't let it bother you"
I thought about this very simple answer and came to a conclusion she was right.

So to any and all of my haters out there I am simply going to ignore most and respond to the others. "God bless you"

God bless you!

Any of my friends and supporters I will address you with respect and value you even more moving forward.

Thanks, Tonya
;o)

God bless you

Reactions: Chippo
Let`s be fair she should work on her hands. But some of the passes were just awful and should not have been thrown. And yes she should get better at catching tough passes. The good thing after this season she should be able to work with some ex post players.

That’s fair!

There is a drill I use called "gathers" to cure hands of stone

Place two players one step out on either side of the box and let them pass to each other with the receiver of each pass using only one hand to gather the ball, then bringing the ball to the other hand...No two handed catches allowed during the drill.

It teaches hem to catch and gather the ball instead of trying to pluck it out of the air....I have had great success with this.

Once they begin to get comfortable, I spread them further to complicate the drill
I also let them start out with soft passes and gravitate them to harder thrown passes as they develop softer hands...
It builds "soft hands" very quickly

If they learn to catch it with one hand, then two becomes simpler because they learn to accept and corral the pass instead of plucking it out of the air

There is a drill I use called "gathers" to cure hands of stone

Place two players one step out on either side of the box and let them pass to each other with the receiver of each pass using only one hand to gather the ball, then bringing the ball to the other hand...No two handed catches allowed during the drill.

It teaches hem to catch and gather the ball instead of trying to pluck it out of the air....I have had great success with this.

Once they begin to get comfortable, I spread them further to complicate the drill
I also let them start out with soft passes and gravitate them to harder thrown passes as they develop softer hands...
It builds "soft hands" very quickly

If they learn to catch it with one hand, then two becomes simpler because they learn to accept and corral the pass instead of plucking it out of the air
I like this!! 👍🏼

Reactions: Prophet1
I like this!! 👍🏼

Thank you...I forgot to mention one thing,,,the recipient calls for the area of the pass they want ,,(improves communication)

Finger up = lob,,,hand out = direct pass,,,hand aimed down = bounce pass
The recipient calls for the pass they want by directions of the hand and the area of the pass by moving the hand to different reception points,,,but no matter what the pass is, they still must gather it in with one hand

Reactions: dapeak
Thank you...I forgot to mention one thing,,,the recipient calls for the area of the pass they want ,,(improves communication)

Finger up = lob,,,hand out = direct pass,,,hand aimed down = bounce pass
The recipient calls for the pass they want by directions of the hand and the area of the pass by moving the hand to different reception points,,,but no matter what the pass is, they still must gather it in with one hand
I’ve always been big on being verbal on the court! Call for the ball, girls!!

Reactions: Coach Jumper

VN Store

Back