Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #16/18 TEXAS A&M

How will she ever break out of the slump on the bench. You gotta play and love her through this. Players play like they practice. Obviously she is not self correcting in practice or is not being coached to correct mistakes. Either way until she can correct this in practice then playing in games solves nothing. Continuing to play her and thinking that will solve everything is not going to happen. Actually continuing to play her is probably breaking her at this point. Her issues are not solvable overnight. Her coach should stress when you stop making these mistakes in practice you will earn back playing time in games.

I hope that Zaay bounces back in a huge way next year. Besides her ball handling and scoring, it would be immeasurable how much she could add if she could slow down the quick guards who have been our nemesis this year.

Hopefully, Salary can also come in and earn a lot of playing time by being a dependable defender who takes pride in shutting down good players. It takes time to learn all their tricks, especially when some of these star guards will be seniors.
Don’t forget Tess, it would be wonderful to have a prolific 3 point shooter.

Good to know tell Teonni to come to Tennessee next time you talk to them.

;) But if you ask me where do i think she is headed if it`s not The Lady Vols i think UK. I could be wrong that`s just my my opinion, kyra elzy and UK has made made a big push this just my crystal ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012
Missing free throws are the same as turnovers actually worse because you have a chance to make a short shot without being guarded. Even though we had 16 turnovers yesterday the big ones were at the free throw line. I've noticed that every recruit we have coming in next year and committed is over a 75 percent free throw shooter in high school. You need players with an all around game, but they definitely must be able to shoot the ball. Seeing that 90 percent of the games Refs call about the same amount of fouls on both teams need those players that can step up and make them. A&M can made like 23 of 25 yesterday.
The actual numbers are above in post #412.

Kellie was on the refs constantly. She was teetering on getting a technical. She did all she could with the refs.
Yes, she was. Kellie was fortunate she didn't get a technical (or two), but I know we all are enjoying her willingness to passionately stand up for her team. I absolutely LOVE this about Harper. At one point it appeared that Jon was trying to calm her down a little. lol

Five stars players are also in need of a elite coach
like Dawn, Kim,Geno, or Vic.
Elite coaches can also take scrubs and pull out the
PROtential within and they come with coaching staffs
that develop players.
Well then eliminate Geno because he can barely win unless he has 5 All Americans

I wondered if anyone besides me considered missed free throws the same as a turnover. Not much different in my eyes.

Something else that gets me is that there is less pressure now that one-and-one free throws are a thing of the past. They know they're getting the second shot regardless, yet we still managed to brick ten. Shades of Butch.

Well, at least no lane violations this game. I suppose that's progress.

But you don’t know how they practice so you’re just talking and making assumptions. She could have performance anxiety, it could be a plethora of things that you’re not privy to. I don’t know what will fix her and neither do you. We can only hope it gets corrected.

All I know is that, whenever I have performance anxiety, I'm still expected to find ways to contribute. Or at least give it the ol' college try and put forth maximum effort.

And I'm not even on scholarship.

All I know is that, whenever I have performance anxiety, I'm still expected to find ways to contribute. Or at least give it the ol' college try and put forth maximum effort.

And I'm not even on scholarship.
But we’re all different, with different values, come from different backgrounds, etc...stop projecting your life on an 18/19 year old kid.

;) But if you ask me where do i think she is headed if it`s not The Lady Vols i think UK. I could be wrong that`s just my my opinion, kyra elzy and UK has made made a big push this just my crystal ball.
I hope your wrong that would be sad.

That's right.

Dawn, Kim, Geno, and Vic would have won the national championsh76iip last year with Missouri State's players. And again this year.

And they all proved that they would immediately come in and be worldbeaters their first year coaching. Every single one of them.

Early on in this thread someone mentioned seeing several recruits with Jon before the game. Did anyone ever identify who these kids were?
Great game for a recruiting visit. Attendance 12.7k and the team playing hard and coming back from a 10 point deficit. Carter is the real deal but is she all they have? Liked Rae’s comment post game - Carter flops. Rae brings it during and after game!
I’m pretty sure the girls that were seen with Jon was the Darby girls. They were at the game yesterday

Our girls were not real relaxed at the free throw line...
1*J5OwB1U9Kh4GI2JDt6n63Q.gif

How good would we be if we had a lot of players that could shoot the ball like Missouri State has. We may be a little more athletic than they are but they would shoot us out of the gym. The only player on our team I would call a great shooter is Davis. I would add Burrell except she can't make free throws so that tells you she has a ways to go. Rennie good shooter not very athletic can't really guard anybody and needs a totally open look or no shot. Brown fairly decent shooter really hurt those two or three 10 footers she missed yesterday. After that Massengill has improved still a minimal shooter at best. Horston terrible shooter who misses a layup with no one guarding them. I bet Coach Harper would be delighted if she had two or three of those players from Missouri State on the roster. If they would let me pick out three from them and send them three we would instantly be a candidate for the elite 8.

But we’re all different, with different values, come from different backgrounds, etc...stop projecting your life on an 18/19 year old kid.

Sorry, it was a weak, puny, flaccid attempt at humor that failed to rise to the expectations of the forum.

She seems very supportive of her daughters. Key had so many injuries in high school I don’t know how much time she actually spent practicing. I believe a total year playing ball with a summer to improve will help her immensely.

I still see her getting frustrated but to me she is trying to initiate contact which we hadn’t seen all season and last night (after finally getting to watch the game) she got foul calls on back to back plays. Good for her. I also believe her FT shooting will improve and if she can just be a 70%er she will get a lot more points. Teams are showing her respect by doubling down and sometimes tripling down into the post and making her make decisions. That decision making will come too. Last night she had the right idea on a couple just poor execution (passing at a cutting Horstons feet and the same to Rae) right idea just bad execution but with more experience those plays will come.

Lastly I don’t like seeing posts put the ball on the floor but her adding taking a post off the bounce will be key (no pun intended). I was always surprised when Mercedes did it but it was always so effective I wished she would do it more.

Yes, a post with a quick first step can be a huge asset. Often times players with Keys build develop that move, they are thin and get pushed away from the basket. If you can learn to catch, pivot and take one quick dribble to the hoop? You can shoot layups all night.

Reminds me of Dewanna Bonner back in the day. She has obviously extended her game WELL beyond the arc, but she used to play inside more in college. She could always take the other big girl off the bounce, really tough to stop with her 6’6” wingspan.

Yes, a post with a quick first step can be a huge asset. Often times players with Keys build develop that move, they are thin and get pushed away from the basket. If you can learn to catch, pivot and take one quick dribble to the hoop? You can shoot layups all night.

Reminds me of Dewanna Bonner back in the day. She has obviously extended her game WELL beyond the arc, but she used to play inside more in college. She could always take the other big girl off the bounce, really tough to stop with her 6’6” wingspan.

Key has a good reverse-pivot jumper, but need a counter move that goes the other direction to sell it
A sky-hook would be perfect

Reactions: Raebo and lvocd
Key has a good reverse-pivot jumper, but need a counter move that goes the other direction to sell it
A sky-hook would be perfect

I think Key working with a true post player over the summer is the best way to get her offense skills up to speed ?

Reactions: VolBall09
But you don’t know how they practice so you’re just talking and making assumptions. She could have performance anxiety, it could be a plethora of things that you’re not privy to. I don’t know what will fix her and neither do you. We can only hope it gets corrected.
Pine time fixes lots of things.

VN Store

Back