Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE AT OLE MISS

this team has so much potential..kellie has to be careful when she subs kk, harris and mccoy in..it seems the team really bogs down big time when any combination of those names are in the lineup. kk's ft shooting has improved dramatically though..hope she can keep it up

if kellie can manage at least a 4 seed and those first 2 tourny games at home, i think it would be huge for her as a first year coach..

unleash saunders..she has so much more potential than harris. besides harris is a senior and has given tennessee all shes going to give and its not.much

so what can be done about massengill..she has so much talent but doesnt even attempt to score..she also looks like she is playing half asleep..0-4 tonight against a horrible ole miss team...someone on the coaching staff needs to light a fire under her ass because if they can get massengill going, this team would be so much better

5 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 TO. She ran the offense really well. Yeah, her shot was not dropping but she played excellent defense and managed the game quite nicely by keeping the ball moving,.

Last edited:
At this point, I would go in with Saunders as the #2 post behind Key. I am just not seeing much marginal difference between KK and Saunders on the defensive end and Saunders is clearly a better finisher. She has way more upside. I had high hopes for KK but she basically the same player she was a freshman.

As freshman, she was a player who needed a lot improvement in both post positioning, shooting, and conditioning. That she has not improved on the weaknesses while playing for a program at this level. man that is really, really a bad look.

Last edited:
Finish the kill.....when the game was going into the fourth and the score was 69-26 UT didn't let up off the gas and finished with a defensive shutdown of Ole Miss. OM scored 2 points in the fourth quarter!

I agree that we need to develop the assassins' instinct (even while we as fans could commiserate somewhat with hapless Ole Miss's situation).

Gotta crush your enemies, see them driven them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

This is good.

Couldn't see the game, but the box score indicated that Ole Miss's walk-ons played a lot of minutes Did their coach clear the bench in the fourth quarter (well, as much as you can clear with only a handful of reserves) and rest the best players for another day (and to protect them) when they might have a chance to win? Kitchens fouled out, so there's one necessary sub. Or was there just not that much difference between their starters and bench?

I always wonder during a massacre like this with no mercy rule...not even continuous clock...if the coach on the losing end might be tempted to try to shame the other coach into pulling their stars by putting in the reserves. Of course, no college coach worth their salt would expect the other team, particularly a conference opponent, to take it easy on them and deliberately hold down the score when there are practice situations to implement for further games (maybe excluding pressing), but giving your bench plenty of experience and working on shot selection might be something the losing coach would hope to see from the team up by 40.

Just asking...not criticizing Kellie for trying to give different lineups a chance to work with starters, try different combinations, keep players sharp for next game, etc. It sends a message to opponents, too.

And the Ole Miss coach obviously needs to get the bench as much experience as possible given the circumstances.

Last edited:
I agree that we need to develop the assassins' instinct (even while we as fans could commiserate somewhat with hapless Ole Miss's situation).

Gotta crush your enemies, see them driven them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

This is good.

Couldn't see the game, but the box score indicated that Ole Miss's walk-ons played a lot of minutes Did their coach clear the bench in the fourth quarter (well, as much as you can clear with only a handful of reserves) and rest the best players for another day (and to protect them) when they might have a chance to win? Kitchens fouled out, so there's one necessary sub. Or was there just not that much difference between their starters and bench?

I always wonder during a massacre like this with no mercy rule...not even continuous clock...if the coach on the losing end might be tempted to try to shame the other coach into pulling their stars by putting in the reserves. Of course, no college coach worth their salt would expect the other team, particularly a conference opponent, to take it easy on them and deliberately hold down the score when there are practice situations to implement for further games (maybe excluding pressing), but giving your bench plenty of experience and working on shot selection might be something the losing coach would hope to see from the team up by 40.

Just asking...not criticizing Kellie for trying to give different lineups a chance to work with starters, try different combinations, keep players sharp for next game, etc. It sends a message to opponents, too.

And the Ole Miss coach obviously needs to get the bench as much experience as possible given the circumstances.
We played everyone on the bench quite a bit so Ole Miss putting in reserves had no effect on our substitutions since we were already playing the end of the bench. We had no where else to go unless they would allow us to drag some folks out of the crowd to play.

81758531_10215337637303371_4353376218410647552_n.jpg
A couple of future Lady Vols in the house last night.

Off topic question--how is Ole Miss so bad? They aren't even competive with teams from smaller conferences?

Off topic question--how is Ole Miss so bad? They aren't even competive with teams from smaller conferences?
Just poor recruiting I think they have a fairly competent coach at least she was at the other places she coached. They are going to get better as early as next season have a five star player committed and two transfers that are very good players. Before this game they had to let the player that had been their top scorer go for reasons unknown. I doubt they win a SEC game their best opportunity will be Auburn they just recently lost to Georgia 58 to 51.

We saw Davis being the shooting guard with three forwards and Massingale. We observed the team working on but new but not yet having perfected set plays. The game allowed some experimenting. And the team is playing so regularly that little time to actually practice so this game IMO had that value.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
At this point, I would go in with Saunders as the #2 post behind Key. I am just not seeing much marginal difference between KK and Saunders on the defensive end and Saunders is clearly a better finishing. She has way more upside. I had high hopes for KK but she basically the same player she was a freshman.

As freshman, she was a player who needed a lot improvement in both post positioning, shooting, and conditioning. That she has not improved on the weaknesses while playing for a program at this level. man that is really, really a bad look.

As a freshman KK did not have a 8-10 foot jumper... KK actually rolls to an open spot off the pick for that short jumper now instead of just standing still: she is also ahead of Emily getting to know plays and how to stay in a play. I think she still has the edge on Saunders however I think the gap can be closed by next year.

Geno lost at home last night. Baylor broke their 96 game home winning streak. 96 GAMES. My gawd. Coulda sworn he called his team "dummies" afterward.

Just poor recruiting I think they have a fairly competent coach at least she was at the other places she coached. They are going to get better as early as next season have a five star player committed and two transfers that are very good players. Before this game they had to let the player that had been their top scorer go for reasons unknown. I doubt they win a SEC game their best opportunity will be Auburn they just recently lost to Georgia 58 to 51.
Poor recruiting and exodus of players.

At this point, I would go in with Saunders as the #2 post behind Key. I am just not seeing much marginal difference between KK and Saunders on the defensive end and Saunders is clearly a better finishing. She has way more upside. I had high hopes for KK but she basically the same player she was a freshman.

I honestly wonder if Kasi would benefit from the support of a good counselor who could work on her confidence issues. On her face and in her body language, she appears to me to be screaming “I’m not confident I belong out here! Why is this so hard for me?!! I try so hard but I don’t think I can do this!”

It’s sad for me to see all that in her because we’ve all seen her have those brilliant moments now and then that proved she CAN do it. But her lack of confidence tells her that it was just a fluke.

As a freshman KK did not have a 8-10 foot jumper... KK actually rolls to an open spot off the pick for that short jumper now instead of just standing still: she is also ahead of Emily getting to know plays and how to stay in a play. I think she still has the edge on Saunders however I think the gap can be closed by next year.
Kk biggest problem is that she and Mccoy are overweight. They both could lose 20 or 25 pounds and be much better players. It hurts players in all areas when they are not in shape. This is especially apparent in female players. Look at Holmes for Texas and Cox at Baylor. When they shed a few pounds they look like different players.

Kk biggest problem is that she and Mccoy are overweight. They both could lose 20 or 25 pounds and be much better players. It hurts players in all areas when they are not in shape. This is especially apparent in female players. Look at Holmes for Texas and Cox at Baylor. When they shed a few pounds they look like different players.

reluctantly, agree

Reactions: mlindsay and djtee
Geno lost at home last night. Baylor broke their 96 game home winning streak. 96 GAMES. My gawd. Coulda sworn he called his team "dummies" afterward.

Maybe he and Chris should have dusted off the ole "Hold me back" routine. That always seemed to work in the past.

This bunch may have never seen pretending-to-go-berserk Geno an would undoubtedly be impressed and inspired by the act of shameless scenery-chewing.

It's an awesome bit of basketball theater. Not just any man can lay bare his dignity before the viewing public in such raw fashion.

Well, Jussie Smollet, maybe.

Reactions: Amb3096
The top thing I liked about the game last night was that Tennessee was still trying to beat the crap out of them even when the lead got to 30 to 40 to 50 there was no let up like we have seen a lot of past teams do when they get a lead. Last night they were going at it for a full forty minutes and that was each and every player on the roster.

Reactions: Indianafan

VN Store

Back