Game Thread: (23/24) Lady Vols vs. (rv/rv) Georgia

Absolutely does not matter. Message must be sent. Heard the argument before. But they are our best players. But if they are not hustling and putting out effort They should not be rewarded with wearing the orange out on court

Exactly. Staiti is UGA’s best player. She didn’t show up so Taylor just told her to take a seat. Her team responded. We just kept going, making the same errors with the same personnel. Would have rather watched Rennie, Emily, Tess, etc lose by 20 playing hard than watch our starters lose by 1 not playing at all.

It's a shame Suarez, Salary, and Darby aren't able to come in and compete early. I do think Salary and Suarez have good to great potential though.

No one that came in this year is a plus SEC talent. If, and it’s a big if, Suarez gets into decent shape and comes to understand her limitations so she can reduce the turnovers, she might be in a couple of years. I’d play Salary over Walker just because she can move better and they don’t have other options.

Exactly. Staiti is UGA’s best player. She didn’t show up so Taylor just told her to take a seat. Her team responded. We just kept going, making the same errors with the same personnel. Would have rather watched Rennie, Emily, Tess, etc lose by 20 playing hard than watch our starters lose by 1 not playing at all.
Actually Staiti really isn't their best player. She's great against small teams but she plays flatfooted and soft and will never play well against size like ours. It wasn't that she didn't show up last night, she was just over matched and always is against size.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Jordan Walker has become a liability.
Don't think that she's become a liability. She wasn't that good to start with, and it shows against the better teams that can put pressure on the ball. She's not the type of player that would typically see PT in close games or against good teams, but with the lack of PG options they don't have much of a choice.

Reactions: lfvol
Finally, Key steps up, shows shows some grit, dominates on both ends of the court, and has the best game of her career, and it was all for naught because the rest of the team might as well have stayed in the locker room. I feel bad for Key.

There were 3 things that killed us.

--Turnovers. Marta with ill-advised drives, Horston completely unable to take care of the ball, Salary telegraphing every single pass, and Walker with the worst game of her career on all accounts. Sheesh. And they were aided and abetted by the rest of the team.

--Burrell and Davis. When Burrell made a couple of stupid fouls and ended up on the bench, Davis completely disappeared (broken record here) and didn't show up again until the end of the game. At least one of those two needs to be on the floor, demanding the ball, and playing like a leader at all times.

--Coaching. This was the worst game management I've ever seen from KJH. Her failure to use some timeouts, get Burrell back on the floor, and give Davis a kick in the butt just let the hemorrhaging continue for far too long. If Sullivan was in the guards' grill about the TO's, it didn't show. We made some bad mental mistakes in the closing minutes, but poor coaching is what ultimately lost us this game.

Just my 2 cents.

Finally, Key steps up, shows shows some grit, dominates on both ends of the court, and has the best game of her career, and it was all for naught because the rest of the team might as well have stayed in the locker room. I feel bad for Key.

--Turnovers. Marta with ill-advised drives, Horston completely unable to take care of the ball, Salary telegraphing every single pass, and Walker with the worst game of her career on all accounts. Sheesh. And they were aided and abetted by the rest of the team.

--Burrell and Davis. When Burrell made a couple of stupid fouls and ended up on the bench, Davis completely disappeared (broken record here) and didn't show up again until the end of the game. At least one of those two needs to be on the floor, demanding the ball, and playing like a leader at all times.

--Coaching. This was the worst game management I've ever seen from KJH. Her failure to use some timeouts, get Burrell back on the floor, and give Davis a kick in the butt just let the hemorrhaging continue for far too long. If Sullivan was in the guards' grill about the TO's, it didn't show. We made some bad mental mistakes in the closing minutes, but poor coaching is what ultimately lost us this game.

Just my 2 cents.

Key was just as bad as the rest of the team in this loss. She wasn't playing hard. She could score at will, but wasn't demanding the ball the way KK was.

Jordan Walker has become a liability.

I wouldn’t call her a liability. I think she’s hurting. She only played 9 minutes last night and had 3 fouls. Just speculation but I would guess her knee is bothering her with the increased physicality and speed at this level compared to where she was. If she gets beat she reaches and fouls before the shot which actually isn’t a bad plan. Prevents our bigs from picking them up instead. Ideally you want to not get beat but with that big ole brace you’re hobbled laterally one direction. Unfortunately for her it’s her left knee so every right handed players that crosses her to the right (her left) has an advantage because her body literally isn’t allowed to move freely in that direction due to the knee brace. Hoping she gets it off at some point. Zaay is having similar issue right now and she didn’t generally have much trouble keeping people in front.

If she gets healed all the way up she’s fine. She’s still a more level player at the point than Horston. She had more turnovers the last two games but the team as a whole did. She wasn’t alone in that.

Last night she didn’t play enough minutes to positively or negatively affect that game. The loss to UGA rests solely on the shoulders of the starting 5 + KK IMO.

Last night the biggest liability on our team was Rae. I thought this was her first truly bad game of the season. She was a non-factor all night. Even in the first half when we built that 17 point lead she was out of it.

In the first half, when they stuck to the game plan by slowing it down they were fine and took a big lead. Not sure what happened in the second half and why it was allowed to continue without trying to correct it.
UGA picked us up full court after scoring and made us speed up. Arkansas failed to knock down enough buckets to do that. But that is the key to beating us. Speed is up force bad shots and quick decision making. We don’t have the BBall IQ players yet to play that type game.

Reactions: VolBall09

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly right. I was always taught “Players win the easy ones, coaches win the close ones.”

I had a legendary coach in HS and we won a lot of games even though we weren’t the most athletic team in our league by a long shot. He was just a nightmare to coach against. When he spoke to us we listened and executed. If it came down to a possession or two we almost never lost. You could see the opposing coach scratching their head. Was nothing they could do about it. Plain and simple they got out basketballed.

Kristy Curry is that kind of coach. She doesn’t always have the athletes but you do not want to be in a tight game with her. She’ll beat you 9 times out of 10 on coaching alone.

Just my 2 cents.

worth every penny

Reactions: VolBalls33
Actually Staiti really isn't their best player. She's great against small teams but she plays flatfooted and soft and will never play well against size like ours. It wasn't that she didn't show up last night, she was just over matched and always is against size.

Staiti has been their best player since mid-February last season. She’s been averaging almost a double double since then (16/8 before this last game, 15/7 now). She wasn’t their best player last night but as the season progresses you’ll see her at the top of their stat sheet the entire way. Mark my words.

Key is a formidable defensive presence. Doesn’t always look like she’s trying that hard but her length is very bothersome. Even 6’3”/6’4” players can’t deal with it. Her arms are just too long and her defensive positioning is good. She executed her game plan well last night. She was clearly instructed to front Staiti and she did it to perfection. Staiti barely touched the ball the entire first half. When she did catch it she got her shot blocked 3 out of the 4 times she shot it.

UGA coach had to take her out partly because they were turning it over trying to get her the ball because they run so much offense through her. Second half their guards took off because they weren’t having to think about how to get her the ball anymore.

No one that came in this year is a plus SEC talent. If, and it’s a big if, Suarez gets into decent shape and comes to understand her limitations so she can reduce the turnovers, she might be in a couple of years. I’d play Salary over Walker just because she can move better and they don’t have other options.
She really needs to drop 30lbs in the off season and work on speed and agility. She has skills for sure.

Staiti has been their best player since mid-February last season. She’s been averaging almost a double double since then (16/8 before this last game, 15/7 now). She wasn’t their best player last night but as the season progresses you’ll see her at the top of their stat sheet the entire way. Mark my words.

Key is a formidable defensive presence. Doesn’t always look like she’s trying that hard but her length is very bothersome. Even 6’3”/6’4” players can’t deal with it. Her arms are just too long and her defensive positioning is good. She executed her game plan well last night. She was clearly instructed to front Staiti and she did it to perfection. Staiti barely touched the ball the entire first half. When she did catch it she got her shot blocked 3 out of the 4 times she shot it.

UGA coach had to take her out partly because they were turning it over trying to get her the ball because they run so much offense through her. Second half their guards took off because they weren’t having to think about how to get her the ball anymore.
She changed posts she put in a faster post to play with her speedy guards and said run them and that was ball game.

Reactions: Amb3096
Her weakness is catching the ball!
This team needed help in the third quarter last night from the sidelines and it wasn't there. That is stupid coaching, period. Every coach who has a remote clue how to coach "in game" calls a timeout to try and kill that run. Not doing so is pure stupid. Sorry, Kellie, it just is. If she wants to become a successful power 5 coach, she needs to not be stupid. She should have called two timeouts. One to kill the run and if needed a second one to light a fire under their azz. That was one of the laziest teams I have ever seen in the second half. Even with all that, if KK just catches the ball and puts it in like she had all night, we still win. What a time to fumble the ball. Hero to goat in a split second.

Just my 2 cents.
Good summary .But be careful that you are not scolded by Rickster for bring negative stuff to this board.

Salary can be another Meme Jackson if she has the right players around her. Suarez...not sure. She rebounds well, but she's awfully slow. She looked like she was in slow motion against the quick Georgia hands defending her and forcing her to turn the ball over.

Suarez i also notice she get`s her shot stuffed a lot in the paint .

Taylor is a good coach. She notice Staiti 6-5 was having a very hard time shooting over Key as C, Peck said. So she mad the switch to 6-4 Davenport and 6-3 Bates. Some may disagree with her at time but C.Peck was spot on when she said when KK and Key are in the game at the same time let KK post up down low on one side and feed her the ball. Move Key to the other side for offensive rebounding. Just having Key setting picks at the top is just not working.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Hero to goat in a split second.

Here's an alternate take:

(Disclaimer: While I agree totally with your assessment of Kellie's failure to use timeouts during the decisive GA run and think her position as coach making big bucks makes it perfectly appropriate to personally assess blame on her and staff, I think we need to be more cautious with players. JMO).

If we had to pick heroes and goats...and there was a whole herd who might share the latter title...I'd look first to at a top offensive threat who passes up a wide-open look at the basket from close range in clutch time rather than a teammate who has struggled at times to catch passes and protect the ball and who had two GA defenders behind her.

VN Store

Back