Game Thread: #23/23 Lady Vols versus #3/5 UCONN

I understand the frustration with the turnovers. But the truth of the matter is your only quality guard is Zaay. If you had Z available, she would cut your turnovers in half right away.

The one thing I didn't get about the way you played tonight is the continual emphasis on scoring in transition without guards. I always thought that when you lack ball handlers, slow the game down. Don't let players get in the habit of rushing to make a play. When a shot goes up 4 players have to crash the boards hard. You guys are so big, play to your strength. Tonight you played into UConn's hands. You were kind of faked into it by some early success running,

With your height advantage, I expected to see more high low and interior picks set. UConn was so small for most of the game. 3 players under 6', and 2 at 6'1" and you got out rebounded 47-45. Perhaps you have an explanation for that but I don't. The fourth Quarter was just brutal 18 total points.

Well your girls played hard and they are becoming a good team. 15 point spread is about what I expected, but I expected 75-60 not this.
Massengill is a quality guard. Problem is freshmen Horston with a lot of turnovers and no balance of scoring like Rennia.

Massengill is a quality guard. Problem is freshmen Horston with a lot of turnovers and no balance of scoring like Rennia.
Yeah I likes a lot of Massengill (actually, i didn't like it tonight as a UConn fan). I'd like to see her as the off guard. She has a nice awareness of what's going on and works within the flow. She would be a great complement to a super ball handler.

No you don’t just flip a switch. But if what you’re doing isn’t working, you try something different. You don’t run the same “offensive set”, and I use that loosely, every time down the floor. If all else fails, get the ball in the hands of your best player and see what happens. When a team goes triangle and two on your two best players, you don’t stick Rennia in the corner and hope your young, inexperienced players can handle their pressure. She had to know if was coming after Alabama ran a box and one with success last game. And she better figure something out quick because she’ll see a lot more of it after what they did tonight.

Now, I haven't been tough on Harris and KK for the entire seasonm nor Burrell but the moment we went to the bench the game turned...there was no reason for subbing them

ANd turnovers...the only stat where everyone who played in the game had a mark was turnovers,,,every player that played!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Looking ahead to next year, this team will look very different with Zaay Green.

Geno adjusted with a speedier team and we didn't counter
we could have, but we stayed with what we've been doing all season
At one point, Geno went to the quicker line up, and we had Rennie, Lou, Key, Davis and Burrell...Jaz and JH on the bench
I couldn't even sit in my recliner at that point...I actually went to the back bedroom and grabbed a pillow off the bed and primal-screamed into the pillow... when I got back to the living room the announcer said it was a 16-5 run,,,,I went back to look for that pillow

Last edited:
Geno adjusted with a speedier team and we didn't counter
we could have, but we stayed with what we've been doing all season

CJ I somewhat agree but would use different adjectives! QUICKNESS and speed are a little different. There players would grab balls that our players had not even made a move to get ! Balls bouncing around and there players were much quicker going after loose balls ! I feel like their quickness (And Speed) were killers.... We are athletic but they out hustled and became aggressive and we just let them bully us a little? And the Referee let them !
Their two freshmen out hustled our freshmen. And their Sophomores out played our sophomores. And Dangerfield was excellent.
We just got beat in the third quarter! End of the story.... On to the SEC and see if we are learning anything? 🤷‍♂️

No, it wasn't.

First three quarters, UC was called for 12 fouls, LVs for 10. For the entire game, we got called for 16, UC for 14. A two foul difference against the lowest fouling team in the country? Not a difference maker.
Do you understand the concept of fouls that don't get called? I.e., if Uconn players are allowed to mug Lady Vols without getting called for it, and when Lady Vols attempt to do the same thing to their opponents they get called for it, that's bias? It's not complicated. If you didn't see the disparity you just weren't watching.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
stupid subbing killed their momentum and she refuses to stop the lame ass subbing..one of those coaches who wont learn until they get canned

Reactions: T.J.
harpers subbing is absolute garbage
She tries to play a deeper bench than she has. No way KK or Kam Harris should have seen the floor, but I feel like her hands were tied...I would have given Jaiden and Emily a shot, they couldn’t have been any worse.

Last edited:
Jordy just needs time. Her Athletic abilities our off the charts and she has tools to be a really good offensive player. I believe next year she will be dynamic once she continues to learn and gets stronger. And yes we need a true point who can handle the rock.
We have one, her name is Jaz.

I knew this crap would happen. Tennessee struggles to beat Tennessee State early in the season, and Alabama a few days ago, yet the majority of posts tonight are from people who appear to be shocked and devastated that Tennessee didn’t handle one of the best teams in the country on a court they’ve lost about 2 games on in 15 years. If people are shocked and devastated, they may actually be stupid.
We were fully capable of beating UConn last night. I think that’s what people were most upset about.

Last edited:
Do you understand the concept of fouls that don't get called? I.e., if Uconn players are allowed to mug Lady Vols without getting called for it, and when Lady Vols attempt to do the same thing to their opponents they get called for it, that's bias? It's not complicated. If you didn't see the disparity you just weren't watching.
There were fouls not called both ways all game long. If you think the reason we got ran over in the 2nd half was due to refs then you watched the wrong game.

VN Store

Back