Game Thread: #22/23 TENNESSEE VS. MISSOURI

another good teaching film for the ladies to watch...did enough to win which is always nice...and, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!

agree:

7:44 -- 1:47 Q1 ,,, 16-8 run,,,no timeout

3:28 to end of quarter Q2 9-2 run no timeout
continued at the start of Q3 through 7:35 mark 14-4 run, no timeout

Those are valuable teaching moments lost

Are bench is atrocious

*Our 😁

But yes this is where recruiting will have to pick up and provide more depth. If Holly did one good thing she brought Horston and Key here. They can be really good and if you get more talent to go with it I think TN will be a good team in the coming years.

While our offense doesn’t always click I think I have seen more screens (yes some were moving) attempted this year to free players up than the past 2-3 years combined. I have to remind myself that this whole team is new to setting screens. I think with the new players and players returning this will have to be something that is continually drilled.

Last edited:
This team needs to keep that killer instinct.

I do like how the coaching staff made adjustments in the game lol... the players started to defend with more urgency and get out on shooters.

Reactions: GameTime
*Our 😁

But yes this is where recruiting will have to pick up and provide more depth. If Holly did one good thing she brought Horston and Key here. They can be really good and if you get more talent to go with it I think TN will be a good team in the coming years.

While our offense doesn’t always click I think I have seen more screens (yes some were moving) attempted this year to free players up than the past 2-3 years combined. I have to remind myself that this whole team is new to setting screens. I think with the new players and players returning this will have to be something that is continually drilled.
Sorry, talk to text

Sorry, talk to text

I was just poking at ya... but I agree with what you are saying. I also think we will recruit top recruits but players that will make a difference. I always think about Coach Schaefer at MSU and him getting good players that he coached up to be great in his system. I think a few elites and a few hard workers will do us good 😃

It was brutal

I’ve noticed that almost any game Cameron Inouye is officiating is very poorly done. Always a TON of calls, a bunch of missed calls, about three 10 minute trips to the monitor and at least one new rule you never knew existed. Just let them play basketball for Christ sake!

I was at the game, and I was getting angrier and angrier with every Mizzou flop that resulted in a Tennessee foul. I really, reaaaaallly don’t care for Robin Pingeton and the way she is (obviously) teaching her players dirty tactics. Missouri is the only team in the SEC that I actually dislike, and as loud as the crowd was tonight I believe that there were a lot more people there who felt the same way. Lady Vols fans don’t always react with cheers as loud as they were giving with every Mizzou free throw miss, but boy was the crowd against them tonight. I loved it. GREAT crowd!

Coach really shortened the bench quite a bit in this game think Davis and Massengill were well over 30 minutes and Key and Horston played more minutes than usual.

No significant foul trouble tonight either. Lots of fouls, but they were spread around pretty well. Horston and Rennia have both had to sit for a while in some games. Kept them on the floor which will be huge going forward.

agree:

7:44 -- 1:47 Q1 ,,, 16-8 run,,,no timeout

3:28 to end of quarter Q2 9-2 run no timeout
continued at the start of Q3 through 7:35 mark 14-4 run, no timeout

Those are valuable teaching moments lost
Maybe as a former player, and a coach at this level, she lets them coach their self. She is not Pat, dont expect the stare, or timeouts. Maybe she learned, stop calling timeouts and let us do this. Team seemed to figure out problems while playing. Point Guard coaching! It did work. I am confused on some line ups on floor, but she is building trust is her players. I know you always beg for an alpha, well she is building a team of confident players, let's let her do Kellie! Great game for Key, going into tonight, was there a bigger wish?

No significant foul trouble tonight either. Lots of fouls, but they were spread around pretty well. Horston and Rennia have both had to sit for a while in some games. Kept them on the floor which will be huge going forward.

VolBall, in the second half I actually found myself wishing we’d be a tad more aggressive defensively on the ballhandlers to try to pick up a few steals. Our guards had done a great job staying out of foul trouble, and maybe that was part of the game plan. But I thought we could have afforded to pick up a couple of fouls while trying to punch a few balls loose to get some extra momentum. I thought we may have played it a little too safe at times, but we got the win against my least favorite opponent, so I’m happy! :D

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I agree that as the game went on, Kellie definitely shortened the bench.

Great to see Jordan and Tamari finding their stroke and Davis continuing to play like an AA.

I think our core "go to" set of players are obviously Rennia, Jordan, Jazz, Tamari, and Burrell, and KK. If Lou can continue to hit open 3's that is a big plus she can bring. This game was a reasonably good one for her because Mizzou is one of the least athletic teams in the conference but they still easily found matchups to exploit Brown's mobility liabilities.

I can also see Jaiden being that bruiser, goon type player that can help you win a tough, physical game. She just has too get a little smarter.

The defensive effort was overall really good but the LVs were too often a bit slow to close out the 3 point shooters. Against better comp,, that could be a lethal failing.

On the sub patterns, I am starting to see what Kellie might be thinking. This team is a fairly young one and there is a legit concern about players getting worn down in the key late season stretch. This concern is most pressing for freshman players, like Horston and Key.

I am less concerned about Davis who has several years of weight work and conditioning under her belt but even the sophomore players may benefit from not being over worked.

So, beyond the teams first 7, I think the task for Coach Kellie is figuring out how to work in Rennie, McCoy, Harris in ways that maintain the offensive flow because that is the aspect of the game where the subs are having the most downside impact.

It can be a wholesale switch where Davis and Horston are both off the floor (and sometimes we have seen Massengill sitting in those rotations as well). I felt like Kellie started to find the right balance in this game (after the first quarter that is) .

I’ve noticed that almost any game Cameron Inouye is officiating is very poorly done. Always a TON of calls, a bunch of missed calls, about three 10 minute trips to the monitor and at least one new rule you never knew existed. Just let them play basketball for Christ sake!
Yeah, he was definitely the main culprit

VN Store

Back