Game Thread : #22/22 LADY VOLS AT VANDERBILT

Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt - Box Score - January 30, 2020 - ESPN

Shot Total tonight 58 for us and 72 for them. We were minus 7 in the turnover department and they had 5 more offensive boards than we did. Those two stats are haunting us every game but were still winning because the shooting has been fantastic.

Our defense is helping us out too. We hold almost every team below their average. That was not the case last year lol. If it clicks and we start getting more possessions than our opponents, people are in trouble. That’s the last piece of the puzzle.

Not to get too far ahead, but I’m excited for the Key/Boston matchup. I think having another freshman to go against will give Tamari a little extra pep in her step. They’re likely to play each other several times a year for the next four years.

Our defense is helping us out too. We hold almost every team below their average. That was not the case last year lol. If it clicks and we start getting more possessions than our opponents, people are in trouble. That’s the last piece of the puzzle.
This game we defended well just to many shots attempts because of turnovers and offensive rebounds. 69 points on 72 shots is excellent defense but you don't want to defend that much. A 14 shot deficit is usually a loss. We better solve that fast as the next several games we can't win doing it.

Rae really brought an important scoring lift early when we were struggling. Exactly what we need her to do off the bench. Burst on the scene and make a difference, and do it more or less under control like she was tonight.

Horston only had 2 t.o.s? Hmm seemed like more. Overall good game though. Progress.

This game we defended well just to many shots attempts because of turnovers and offensive rebounds. 69 points on 72 shots is excellent defense but you don't want to defend that much. A 14 shot deficit is usually a loss. We better solve that fast as the next several games we can't win doing it.

Exactly, we’re making ourselves play way too much defense. Just because you’re good at it doesn’t mean you want to play more of it than you have to lol.

We'll have to play far better than we have played any game in the SEC this season to beat SC. The way we played tonight want get it done. I hope we can come out and play solid on every possession.

Rae really brought an important scoring lift early when we were struggling. Exactly what we need her to do off the bench. Burst on the scene and make a difference, and do it more or less under control like she was tonight.

Horston only had 2 t.o.s? Hmm seemed like more. Overall good game though. Progress.
Those threes she made almost turned out to be the difference in the game and if you add the three point play that is the total difference.

Anyone else get bad vibes from Stephanie White?

You mean like is she a sorceress?

Aw hell Tamika talkin bout my fave LV game ever, the 98 regional at Vandy against ole Sylvia Hatchell's No Car team.

I literally thought you were saying that her team that year had no vehicles or team bus. Then it dawned on me. D'oh!

Reactions: glv98
I was at the game tonight and some observations:

Absolute torture watching those first half turnovers
Rae seems more under control and if she had been able physically, she would have had a career night.
Impressed with Jasmine how under control she was and how she now looks for her shot
McCoy is a hoss under the basket
Does anyone notice that Horston and Davis tend to check out at times?
Finally, under the old coaching staff we would probably have lost this game and a few others

Vandy was getting dribble penetration at will to start the game which led to Kellie switching to a zone. The good news is it really stymied the Commodore offense for the most part as they are a very poor perimeter shooting team. The bad news for the zone is it's harder to get defensive rebounds, which led to a ton of offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points for Vandy which kept them in the game...

Good signs.

After the first quarter, the LVs got their To problem under control.

Jazz become a scoring threat.

The slow and steady rise of McCoy. I completely underestimated potential.

Kellie had at one point a small ball line-up on the floor without KK or Key. I think it was Jazz, Jordan, Rennia, Jaiden, and Kam. Replace Harris with Rae or Lou and that could be a very interesting combo and one that could cause lots of match-up problems.

Overall review:

Sure, this was by far Tennessee’s best game, BUT, let’s remember where our teams have been the last few years. Tennessee would’ve lost this game last year. We were down by 8 at one point. We found a way to overcome our mistakes, and we got the W. No, we can’t play this way against South Carolina, but kudos to our ladies for finding a way to get the W.

KK did make mistakes, but I liked her aggressiveness in the 2nd half, on the defense and offensive end.

Rennia did what she always does, and led this team from start to finish! Just needs to make them layups, and we’re good!

Jasmine and Jordan, the duo point guards, love the chemistry they have been creating. We haven’t had this in years! I love Jasmine being aggressive, because this was one of those games where we needed her scoring, and she really stepped up. Jordan played under control in the 2nd half, and opened up the paint with her inside scoring.

McCoy came in and did all the little things! She scored when she needed too, renounced when she needed too, and just stuck with it. I love that! We need her!

Rae! She is instant offense all around! I love her as a scoring threat, she really can take the load off Rennia! I hate to see her injured (possibly cramps) and hope she will be okay.

Lou did what she needed to do tonight. No, she didn’t score much, and no she didn’t block shots, but she is the only player we have willing to take that charge, (something other teams do to us all the time) and she finally got that charge! We need her going down the stretch! plus, she can stretch out the floor by shooting the 3!

Harris came in and provided a bucket, got some rebounds, and minus the throw away turnover, did what she needed to do. Most people may not see the value in her, but I do think she is a scoring option from 10 feet out. She can shoot that jump shot, and we really should draw some plays up for her. We have to be able to pull surprises against teams.

Tamari, is sometimes out worked and gets frustrated with the physicality of the game, but she is the leagues leading shot blocker. I think her size is vital to our team. She just needs to stay aggressive under control! Once you get the right attitude, everything else comes to fruition. Tamari is a great post player, and we are so blessed to have her!

Rennie and Emily - While they did not play tonight, for reasons unknown, I am thankful to have them. I do believe we need the outside shot of Rennie, and we need the inside presence of Emily. I know many think Emily isn’t ready for the bigger games, but I think she might surprise us all!

And of course Green, we miss you and wish your recovery well! We will need you next year!

To sum it up (pun intended), we may not be winning every game, turning the ball over more than we’d like, or even being talked about winning it all, but we are still TENNESSEE. We as fans do not need to give up on this program! Kellie has done an exceptional job, way better than Holly could’ve done. Kellie is a breath of fresh air, and it’s time to back her up fully and let her bring the Lady Vols another trophy!

I’m calling it, UT upsets no. 1 SC. (We’ve done it before!)

As always, go LADY VOLS!

I’ll take some of that action....SC by 15.

Reactions: Only1COJ
Vandy was getting dribble penetration at will to start the game which led to Kellie switching to a zone. The good news is it really stymied the Commodore offense for the most part as they are a very poor perimeter shooting team. The bad news for the zone is it's harder to get defensive rebounds, which led to a ton of offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points for Vandy which kept them in the game...
Were totally exposed our big guards cannot defend in the man to man not just this game numerous games. To win were a zone team and hopefully we'll cut down the turnovers to the point we can at least keep the shot totals a lot closer than the last few games. 72 shots to 58 some of it was turnovers minus seven for the game and the rest was their offensive rebounds. Tough to be able to out shoot teams to the point you win giving up that shot differential looks like that is how were going to be able to win against the better teams with quicker guards. We need to win two out of this next five not going to be easy to do.

Reactions: Creekdog
Good signs.

After the first quarter, the LVs got their To problem under control.

Jazz become a scoring threat.

The slow and steady rise of McCoy. I completely underestimated potential.

Kellie had at one point a small ball line-up on the floor without KK or Key. I think it was Jazz, Jordan, Rennia, Jaiden, and Kam. Replace Harris with Rae or Lou and that could be a very interesting combo and one that could cause lots of match-up problems.

Remember when everybody was saying why did we waste a scholarship on Lou Brown? I don’t know what she will contribute? Too slow? Can’t shoot? Can’t defend?

I hope everybody is now seeing we are a much better team when she is on the floor. She just makes the right plays and gets people in the right places. What she lacks in lateral movement and speed she makes up with smarts and position defense.

I also remember last year it took until like the 2nd or 3rd to last game of the season when I charge was taken. Now we can expect one or two a game.

Last edited:
Remember when everybody was saying why did we waste a scholarship on Lou Brown? I don’t know what she will contribute? Too slow? Can’t shoot? Can’t defend?

I hope everybody is now seeing we are a much better team when she is on the floor. She just makes the right plays and gets people in the right places. What she lacks in lateral movement and speed she makes up with smarts and position defense.

I also remember last year it took until like the 2nd or 3rd to last game of the season when I charge was taken. Now we can expect one or two a game.

Keep in mind that under Holly Lou likely would never have looked like this or played this role. She would have likely ridden the pine pony and come in for a desperation 3 now and then like Dunbar.

When we play a team that can cash in on all the wide open looks we will be in trouble.

When we play a team that can cash in on all the wide open looks we will be in trouble.

Teams have been shooting poorly against us because of our defense. Vandy is a poor 3 point shooting team. Why do you think we let them bombs away last night?

They average 5 ATTEMPTS on the season. Last night we baited them into taking 20 and they shot 25%. That’s exactly what our defense wanted them to do.

We don’t know the story there at all. There are any number of reasons a player might not enter the game. Not all of them have to do with coaching decisions. Don’t go predicting transfers lol.
Good points maybe I should have thought it
Through more thoroughly before posting.
Sometimes too opinionated for my own good.

Terrible first qtr
I HATE playing at that stupid Vandy Field House- when the ball was on Vandy side and they scored the whole bench jumped over the white line and almost on the court almost interfering with us taking the ball out quickly
The white line is there for a reason and ref should make them stay behind it-- some cases they were only a few feet from our players and distracting-- is there no way they can configure like the rest of the world?????

VN Store

Back