Game Thread : #22/22 LADY VOLS AT VANDERBILT

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
Jaiden001.jpg
Jaiden McCoy: "Tennessee Strong"

Watch Live (SEC Network)
Listen (Lady Vol Network)
Live Stats

No. 22/22 Tennessee (16-4, 6-1 SEC) hits the road for the first of three away games in its next four outings, playing Vanderbilt (12-8, 2-5 SEC) at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville on Thursday at 8:05 p.m. CT (9:05 ET).

This will mark the 83rd contest in a rivalry that began in 1976. UT leads the series, 72-10, and has won 10 of the past 11, with Vandy picking up its first-ever victory in Knoxville last season. The Lady Vols are currently tied for second place in the league standings with Mississippi State at 6-1. South Carolina is in the catbird's seat with a 7-0 league mark. Kentucky and Texas A&M are a game behind UT at 5-2. Vandy, meanwhile, is tied for ninth with Alabama, Florida and Missouri at 2-5.

Tennessee features two players from the Volunteer State, including Jazmine Massengill (Chattanooga) and Jaiden McCoy (Knoxville), plus a head coach from Sparta (Kellie [Jolly] Harper) who played at Tennessee as well. Vanderbilt has five players from in-state.
  • Tennessee enters Thursday night having won five of its last six and eight of its last 10.
  • UT has won five straight SEC games and is 2-1 in road league contests, dropping an 80-76 decision vs. Kentucky on Jan. 5.
  • Rennia Davis is averaging 19.4 over her last five games, shooting 56.9 percent from the field, 46.7 on threes and 76.2 at the charity stripe.
  • Vanderbilt is 1-4 over its last five but won at Georgia and was quite competitive vs. Mississippi State.
  • VU is coming off a 98-61 loss at Alabama on Sunday, while UT beat Alabama on Jan. 20, 65-63, with Rennia Davis hitting a long-range, step-back three before the buzzer.
  • Tennessee is in the midst of a four-game swing where it plays three of four away from home. The next two following the Vandy game are top-10 match-ups at No. 1/2 South Carolina and vs. No. 9/8 Mississippi State on Feb. 2 and 6, respectively, followed by a rematch at #RV/RV LSU on Feb. 13.
  • University of Tennessee junior forward Rennia Davis was named the SEC Women's Basketball Player of the Week, the league office announced on Tuesday. The honor is the second of the season for Davis and the fifth of her career.
  • The 6-foot-2 Lady Vol standout ran her streak of scoring in double figures to 18 consecutive games, averaging 23.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals last week in No. 22/22 UT's split with #3/5 UConn and #RV/RV LSU. Davis finished 16 of 27 from the field for 59.3 percent accuracy. She was four of nine from three-point range (44.4) and went 10 of 11 from the free-throw line (90.9).
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
  • Rennia In The Record Books: Junior Rennia Davis turned in 30 points against LSU, making it the 11th time she's scored at least 20 points and the third time she's hit 30. She's now tied for 11th all-time in career 20+ point performances by Lady Vols. Additionally, she went a perfect 10 of 10 from the line to tie for fourth all-time in free-throw percentage for a single game.
  • Shot Swatting: Freshman Tamari Key blocked four shots against the Tigers, putting her average in SEC play at 4.7 bpg. Key currently leads the conference, while South Carolina's Aliyah Boston is second in conference play, averaging 2.3 bpg.
  • Defense Wins Games: Coming into the contest, LSU was averaging 61.1 ppg. off a .448 shooting percentage from the floor. Tennessee held them below their averages in both points and shooting percentage at 58 points on .333 shooting.
  • Horston Dropping Dimes: Freshman Jordan Horston dished out a career-high-tying nine assists against the Tigers, moving her average to 5.2 apg. If the season ended today that average would be first all-time among Lady Vol freshmen.
ABOUT VANDERBILT
  • Vanderbilt returned four starters and seven total letterwinners from last season's squad which finished 7-23 overall and 2-14 (14th) in the SEC. VU was picked to finish 14th by the media and 12th by the coaches in the 2019-20 preseason poll.
  • The Commodores are led by redshirt senior forward Mariella Fasoula, who averages 14.0 points and 7.1 rebounds per contest. VU also gets 13.4 ppg. from sophomore Brinae Alexander and freshman Koi Love.

VolNation

Vanderbilt last three game recaps

Vandy v Ala

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama was not a gracious host Sunday as the Crimson Tide used a dominant first quarter to knock off a shorthanded Vanderbilt women’s basketball team 98-61 at Coleman Coliseum. Fifth-year senior and leading scorer Mariella Fasoula attempted to play through illness, but was held scoreless in just nine minutes for the Commodores who were already without starters Brinae Alexander and Autumn Newby due to injury. Junior guard Chelsie Hall tied a career high with five steals, freshman Kiara Pearl tallied a career-best 11 points, sophomore guard Jordyn Cambridge finished with a career-best three blocks and senior LeaLea Carter led four Commodores in double figures with 15 points. Vanderbilt fell on the road for just the second time this season and dropped to 12-8 overall and 2-5 in SEC play.

Vandy v Miss St

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Vanderbilt nearly knocked off the No. 9 team in the country Thursday, but visiting Mississippi State owned the fourth quarter in a 68-52 win at Memorial Gymnasium. The Commodores took a 50-46 lead into the final period thanks to an enthused and aggressive start to the second half. But Mississippi State scored the first six of the fourth to nudge ahead 52-50. Aliyah Matharu’s layup at the 4:53 mark completed a 12-2 run and forced a Vandy timeout. Vanderbilt never quite recovered from there as it was outscored 22-2 in the final frame while shooting 1 of 11 from the field. Freshman Koi Love had 19 points and nine rebounds for Vandy (12-7, 2-4 SEC). The Dores as a team, however, had 26 turnovers and shot just 32 percent from the field.

Vandy v Arkansas

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — No. 23 Arkansas made 14 3s Sunday inside Memorial Gymnasium and raced past Vanderbilt 100-66. “We talked about it all week – defending the 3-point line and not giving them uncontested shots because when they get hot they get hot,” Vanderbilt head coach Stephanie White said. “I felt like our transition defense was poor. It’s very difficult to simulate how fast they are in transition and we didn’t quite recover from that.

“And we were very sluggish. We had four of our guards that were 4 of 29 from the floor and we’re not going to position ourselves to win ballgames when that happens.” Vanderbilt (12-6, 2-3 SEC) turned the ball over 17 times, shot 37.5 percent from the floor and finished 1-for-7 from the 3-point line.

By the Numbers:

FG%...UT 45 opp 31 Vandy 44 opp 39
3PT…UT 102/309 for 33% Vandy 54/171 for 31%
PPG…UT 72.8 opp 55.3 Vandy 69.6 opp 65.7
REBs…48.2 opp 35.1 Vandy 42.8 opp 36
Asst to TO’s…UT 355 to 341 Vandy 266 to 392
Steals…UT 120 Vandy 188
Blocks… UT 146 Vandy 80

Coach Jumpers predicton: UT 100 Vandy 66

Score may depend on whether Alexander and Newby are able to play.
UT 78
Vandy 71

I dunno if they do play how effective will they be they have been out the past couple of games.

Also how effective will the big girl be? She tried to play through sickness but could only get 9 minutes in. You run post to post on her and test her effectiveness. Also through multiple bodies at her to wear her down.

I dunno if they do play how effective will they be they have been out the past couple of games.

Also how effective will the big girl be? She tried to play through sickness but could only get 9 minutes in. You run post to post on her and test her effectiveness. Also through multiple bodies at her to wear her down.
Fasoula is poor on defense. She's tall, but her defense consists of holding her arms straight up and allowing quick players to blow right past her. She doesn't move well. Vandy is slow. I think we easily beat them with a fast pace as long as we hold on to the ball.

Hopefully we can find a way to win. Our offense is way to inconsistent to really say how this game will go. I feel fairly good if we can score over sixty. I always have to hope and thus far the team has come into every game with some intensity and purpose. LSU was closer than it should be because we couldn't make free throws or rebound. Hopefully we want see that again. I'm calling this a 15 point win but it could be thirty or it could be five or whatever. Were still looking for that consistent offense and also an entire consistent game.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
The mantra for the next month is for the LVs to stay well and stay healthy. The impact of playing thru pain and playing thru illness is seldom seen on the boxscore.

Example I noticed when I first looked at the Vandy boxscore that Fasoula had only played 11 minutes with out scoring. No * (Fasoula ill). And to requote CJ's quote if that happens the next player on the bench must be prepared to step up.

It kind of puts things into perspective as far as this season goes. Maybe people will be less critical when they realize what could have been

The turmoil that defined the last seven seasons resulted in, one way or another, the program losing many top-tier players whom, if they’d been better managed, were more than capable of winning championships. How many did we lose? Transfers, dismissals, leaving early.... ALL of those players were awesome. Then they left. :(

I look for Jazmine Massengill to be her steady self. Jaiden McCoy may be the game changer for the Lady Vol's, she is tired of setting the bench and it looks like she will get Kasiyahna Kushkituah minutes, and if KK wants them back she will have to step her game up. The Rennia Davis and Jordan Horston working together is a thing of beauty. I believe all the players will play in this game and score points. 88 to 54 Tennessee. As always go lady Vol's.

Jaiden McCoy may be the game changer for the Lady Vol's, she is tired of setting the bench....

It's so obvious in her on-court body language that you are correct! She has the look of someone who is thinking, "By gawd, I am going to make the most of whatever time I have out here by having the type of constant energy that's impossible for the coaching staff to ignore!"

I love seeing that in a player. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My wife and I will be at the game tonight. Not sure who will guard Koi Love, but she looks to be the most consistent scorer for Vanderbilt. Also, Carter is finally coming along for Vandy. Please no more than one sub at a time unless the game is well in hand.

Last edited:
Hate these late games. Screws up my Friday's. I'm not in my twenties anymore. I'm already starting to get anxious for tonight's game. Keep it rolling girls!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
View attachment 257348
Jaiden McCoy: "Tennessee Strong"

Watch Live (SEC Network)
Listen (Lady Vol Network)
Live Stats

No. 22/22 Tennessee (16-4, 6-1 SEC) hits the road for the first of three away games in its next four outings, playing Vanderbilt (12-8, 2-5 SEC) at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville on Thursday at 8:05 p.m. CT (9:05 ET).

This will mark the 83rd contest in a rivalry that began in 1976. UT leads the series, 72-10, and has won 10 of the past 11, with Vandy picking up its first-ever victory in Knoxville last season. The Lady Vols are currently tied for second place in the league standings with Mississippi State at 6-1. South Carolina is in the catbird's seat with a 7-0 league mark. Kentucky and Texas A&M are a game behind UT at 5-2. Vandy, meanwhile, is tied for ninth with Alabama, Florida and Missouri at 2-5.

Tennessee features two players from the Volunteer State, including Jazmine Massengill (Chattanooga) and Jaiden McCoy (Knoxville), plus a head coach from Sparta (Kellie [Jolly] Harper) who played at Tennessee as well. Vanderbilt has five players from in-state.
  • Tennessee enters Thursday night having won five of its last six and eight of its last 10.
  • UT has won five straight SEC games and is 2-1 in road league contests, dropping an 80-76 decision vs. Kentucky on Jan. 5.
  • Rennia Davis is averaging 19.4 over her last five games, shooting 56.9 percent from the field, 46.7 on threes and 76.2 at the charity stripe.
  • Vanderbilt is 1-4 over its last five but won at Georgia and was quite competitive vs. Mississippi State.
  • VU is coming off a 98-61 loss at Alabama on Sunday, while UT beat Alabama on Jan. 20, 65-63, with Rennia Davis hitting a long-range, step-back three before the buzzer.
  • Tennessee is in the midst of a four-game swing where it plays three of four away from home. The next two following the Vandy game are top-10 match-ups at No. 1/2 South Carolina and vs. No. 9/8 Mississippi State on Feb. 2 and 6, respectively, followed by a rematch at #RV/RV LSU on Feb. 13.
  • University of Tennessee junior forward Rennia Davis was named the SEC Women's Basketball Player of the Week, the league office announced on Tuesday. The honor is the second of the season for Davis and the fifth of her career.
  • The 6-foot-2 Lady Vol standout ran her streak of scoring in double figures to 18 consecutive games, averaging 23.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals last week in No. 22/22 UT's split with #3/5 UConn and #RV/RV LSU. Davis finished 16 of 27 from the field for 59.3 percent accuracy. She was four of nine from three-point range (44.4) and went 10 of 11 from the free-throw line (90.9).
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
  • Rennia In The Record Books: Junior Rennia Davis turned in 30 points against LSU, making it the 11th time she's scored at least 20 points and the third time she's hit 30. She's now tied for 11th all-time in career 20+ point performances by Lady Vols. Additionally, she went a perfect 10 of 10 from the line to tie for fourth all-time in free-throw percentage for a single game.
  • Shot Swatting: Freshman Tamari Key blocked four shots against the Tigers, putting her average in SEC play at 4.7 bpg. Key currently leads the conference, while South Carolina's Aliyah Boston is second in conference play, averaging 2.3 bpg.
  • Defense Wins Games: Coming into the contest, LSU was averaging 61.1 ppg. off a .448 shooting percentage from the floor. Tennessee held them below their averages in both points and shooting percentage at 58 points on .333 shooting.
  • Horston Dropping Dimes: Freshman Jordan Horston dished out a career-high-tying nine assists against the Tigers, moving her average to 5.2 apg. If the season ended today that average would be first all-time among Lady Vol freshmen.
ABOUT VANDERBILT
  • Vanderbilt returned four starters and seven total letterwinners from last season's squad which finished 7-23 overall and 2-14 (14th) in the SEC. VU was picked to finish 14th by the media and 12th by the coaches in the 2019-20 preseason poll.
  • The Commodores are led by redshirt senior forward Mariella Fasoula, who averages 14.0 points and 7.1 rebounds per contest. VU also gets 13.4 ppg. from sophomore Brinae Alexander and freshman Koi Love.

VolNation

Vanderbilt last three game recaps

Vandy v Ala

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama was not a gracious host Sunday as the Crimson Tide used a dominant first quarter to knock off a shorthanded Vanderbilt women’s basketball team 98-61 at Coleman Coliseum. Fifth-year senior and leading scorer Mariella Fasoula attempted to play through illness, but was held scoreless in just nine minutes for the Commodores who were already without starters Brinae Alexander and Autumn Newby due to injury. Junior guard Chelsie Hall tied a career high with five steals, freshman Kiara Pearl tallied a career-best 11 points, sophomore guard Jordyn Cambridge finished with a career-best three blocks and senior LeaLea Carter led four Commodores in double figures with 15 points. Vanderbilt fell on the road for just the second time this season and dropped to 12-8 overall and 2-5 in SEC play.

Vandy v Miss St

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Vanderbilt nearly knocked off the No. 9 team in the country Thursday, but visiting Mississippi State owned the fourth quarter in a 68-52 win at Memorial Gymnasium. The Commodores took a 50-46 lead into the final period thanks to an enthused and aggressive start to the second half. But Mississippi State scored the first six of the fourth to nudge ahead 52-50. Aliyah Matharu’s layup at the 4:53 mark completed a 12-2 run and forced a Vandy timeout. Vanderbilt never quite recovered from there as it was outscored 22-2 in the final frame while shooting 1 of 11 from the field. Freshman Koi Love had 19 points and nine rebounds for Vandy (12-7, 2-4 SEC). The Dores as a team, however, had 26 turnovers and shot just 32 percent from the field.

Vandy v Arkansas

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — No. 23 Arkansas made 14 3s Sunday inside Memorial Gymnasium and raced past Vanderbilt 100-66. “We talked about it all week – defending the 3-point line and not giving them uncontested shots because when they get hot they get hot,” Vanderbilt head coach Stephanie White said. “I felt like our transition defense was poor. It’s very difficult to simulate how fast they are in transition and we didn’t quite recover from that.

“And we were very sluggish. We had four of our guards that were 4 of 29 from the floor and we’re not going to position ourselves to win ballgames when that happens.” Vanderbilt (12-6, 2-3 SEC) turned the ball over 17 times, shot 37.5 percent from the floor and finished 1-for-7 from the 3-point line.

By the Numbers:

FG%...UT 45 opp 31 Vandy 44 opp 39
3PT…UT 102/309 for 33% Vandy 54/171 for 31%
PPG…UT 72.8 opp 55.3 Vandy 69.6 opp 65.7
REBs…48.2 opp 35.1 Vandy 42.8 opp 36
Asst to TO’s…UT 355 to 341 Vandy 266 to 392
Steals…UT 120 Vandy 188
Blocks… UT 146 Vandy 80

Coach Jumpers predicton: UT 100 Vandy 66
UT 80 Vandy 66

Reactions: creekdipper
My wife and I will be at the game tonight. Not sure who will guard Koi Love, but she looks to be the most consistent scorer for Vanderbilt. Also, Carter is finally coming along for Vandy. Please no more than one sub at a time unless the game is well in hand.

I'll be there as well. Not expecting a big crowd because of the late start, but hopefully there will be a lot more orange than black and gold...

VN Store

Back