Game Thread: #22/22 LADY VOLS AT #1/2 SOUTH CAROLINA

If we had everyone who was eligible back and healthy, she could be brought aling gradually and play behind (and against) experience talent. Seems the staff has decided to roll the dice and let her try to play through mistakes due to lack of options.

Horston has said that she wasn't expecting to start upon arrival. The coaches have to decide whether it's better for both her and the team to sit her even if that means a dropoff in talent.

Finally someone that gets it. Regardless of where they are now Notre Dame was ranked 15 when we beat them and Texas started the season considered a better team than us. We took care of Notre Dame and should’ve beaten Texas and Kentucky. In my opinion, those 3 games told me more about where we are at in this process and we were in all 3 of the games. Realistically I wasn’t expecting to beat Stanford, UConn, or SC on the road with a young team. Now I think a neutral site or home game we would be much more competitive. After the players we lost to graduation and transfer, I thought Kellie would coach her butt off and we would improve on last years record or we would look like Notre Dame this year. Thankfully it looks like she’s coaching her butt off. With the exception of Re none of these players were key contributors last season. Turnovers are the hardest thing to fix but I am hopeful that Kellie will get it fixed. I know it’s frustrating but it takes time and for some it takes a little longer than others.

I’m all good with where we are so far this season. I’m disappointed we haven’t gotten over the hump against a ranked team. I am thrilled we are beating teams we should beat though.

I think we all forget sometimes how young this team is. We start 3 newcomers, two of whom are freshman. A lot of our turnovers are still them getting to know one another. From the outside looking in it’s always easy. I’m sure none of the players went into that game planning to throw the ball away. I trust it’s better in practice than in games, unfortunately our in game identity right now is a really tough team that turns the ball over.

I’ll bet if you ask SC they didn’t have much fun playing us. We held them to their fewest points since November and some of their best players really struggled.

Just aggravating when really the only difference in the game was their 6 turnovers to our 21. If we don’t turn it over 7 times in the first quarter we never dig that hole and we’re in the game the entire way. You have to hope these big games are becoming cumulative lessons.

I still think our crappy schedule didn’t do this staff or team any favors. I look forward to seeing a schedule that will challenge us in the non-conference. Tired of having to learn these hard lessons agains conference teams in February. We need to be playing tougher competition in November and December to be ready. SC has played a tough schedule, had an early loss to a tough team, but it’s paid off.

If we had everyone who was eligible back and healthy, she could be brought aling gradually and play behind (and against) experience talent. Seems the staff has decided to roll the dice and let her try to play through mistakes due to lack of options.

Horston has said that she wasn't expecting to start upon arrival. The coaches have to decide whether it's better for both her and the team to sit her even if that means a dropoff in talent.

Horston has a turnover problem, but really it’s a team issue. Difficult for her to work through her problems when the rest of the team is throwing the ball away too. We need some people to step up. If suddenly the rest of the team has only 5 turnovers instead 14 then we have 12 on the game.

Rennia is going to draw tough defense every night this season and she is going to turn it over a time or two. Just not possible for her to avoid it with the attention she gets. The others have got to do better though. Our bench players can’t come in and all have 2 or 3 turnovers a piece.

Whats disappointing to me is the TO problem is not getting better. Does not seem to be any consequences for them. Turnovers with no consequences is not a solution.

I wondered about that also. Have seen better officials in pickup games where you "call your own fouls". Don't know if that still happene in pickup games though.

Someone needs to say it....even more predictable than a high LV turnover number after a game are the predictable posts that will be saying the refs were awful and favored the other team. Go back and look in EVERY game thread, it is the most constant theme discussed. When did the SEC decide that UT should get the shaft every game?

Btw, the refs had nothing to do with USC's starting PG recording 9 assists and 0 turnovers...compare that to UT's guards...

Reactions: PG1
That's true. At times we can look like those third grade beginner games where everyone just swarms the ball. We still have the tendency to immediately put the ball on the floor and then pick up our dribble with nowhere to go.

We're doing a little better at setting some hard screens...several oppoents have hit the floor lately...but then fail to roll to the basket. Or set the screen really high and pull our big too far out to shoot, drive, or rebound.

Key has an effective jumper. Sorry we didn't see that against SC.

Someone needs to say it....even more predictable than a high LV turnover number after a game are the predictable posts that will be saying the refs were awful and favored the other team. Go back and look in EVERY game thread, it is the most constant theme discussed. When did the SEC decide that UT should get the shaft every game?

Btw, the refs had nothing to do with USC's starting PG recording 9 assists and 0 turnovers...compare that to UT's guards...
People of every fan base complain about refs on their boards, nothing unique about Tennessee fans doing the same.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Again, read through the previous game threads, it is not a symptom, it is an epidemic.

If an epidemic, it's one quarantined to our own board, is it not? And again, I ask if this is unique to Tennessee?

To provide some nuance here: complaining about the refs is the least problematic thing to come from this board, imo.

A little unfair to compare senior Harris who has been 2nd team All-SEC and played on their national championship team with a secon-year PG playing under a new coach. But their underclassmen took care of the ball, too.

As far as the refs go, even if "not-called" evenly, i think that still favored SC. They had more talent to bring in, could disrupt with hand checks, reaching, etc. and totally throw us off. In contrast, any rough play didn't seem to bother them (except maybe Boston). By the time the officials tightened up in the second half, they had a comfortable lead.

The way a game is called often affects one team adversely more than other even when the calls seem equal. A loisely-called game favored them, IMO.

One positive is that it did seem to push an aggressive switch in Tamari. I'd say Boston is nursing a few bruises today.

I hope this program gets to a point of starting quality juniors and seniors and allowing freshmen to gradually be worked into the lineup.

Again, read through the previous game threads, it is not a symptom, it is an epidemic.

Then leave. As far as I can tell, no one is holding you here. Like LVsinceJV said, every site has someone complaining about officiating when they lose. It is a natural phenomenon. If you ask me, SEC officiating has a lot of room to improve if you are a fan of a team not called gamecocks. If it offends you, go somewhere else.

The Refs didn't decide the game for sure, but we would like to have the fouls that were committed on Davis hell two or three were obvious even to Stevie Wonder.

If the officiating wasn’t garbage nobody would be complaining. On what planet does it make sense that there would be like 2 total fouls in the first half and then 30 in the second half? That’s so inconsistent it’s ridiculous, impossible for players to adapt to officiating during the game when it’s called wildly different half to half.

I complain about the officiating across the SEC as well. Not just UT games. It’s been awful for years now.

Horston has a turnover problem, but really it’s a team issue. Difficult for her to work through her problems when the rest of the team is throwing the ball away too. We need some people to step up. If suddenly the rest of the team has only 5 turnovers instead 14 then we have 12 on the game.

Rennia is going to draw tough defense every night this season and she is going to turn it over a time or two. Just not possible for her to avoid it with the attention she gets. The others have got to do better though. Our bench players can’t come in and all have 2 or 3 turnovers a piece.

In defense of Horston, at least she hasn’t had 10 turnovers in a game like a couple of former Lady Vols.

lol , this is not facebook , reporting on VN because your feeling got hurt wont help you much on Volnation

But: “This forum is for fans of the Lady Vols. It isn't for debate over the legitimacy of women's basketball or for comparisons to the men's game. If you enjoy the Lady Vols and enjoy discussing the program, this forum is for you. Otherwise, please refrain from posting. Posters who are 'trolling' and/or disrespectful risk having their account suspended.

For those that post here often, if you see a post that does not adhere to the guidelines above, please bring it to our attention by using the 'report post' button. It's located under the user's avatar.

Thank you
:hi:“

per @Freak

We lost but Tennessee rpi up to 43 moving on up could be in the twenties by the time we get through this run and winning a couple even higher.

lol , this is not facebook , reporting on VN because your feeling got hurt wont help you much on Volnation

Keep it up and we'll see how long you"dogg" the players with that avatar and name.
This isn't facebook,, right, we don't post pictures of the food we ate and we don't attack the coach of this team in a personal nature.

You've got 17,000 posts under that name...you ready to start out with a new name and number one?

Double for you @KellywillwinNC

Last edited:
I'm not speaking from inside knowledge, only logic.
If Horston was making those kinds of turnover in practice, she would not be getting the minutes.

If she only makes those mistakes in games, then the only way for her to improve is during game situations.
However, she's not improving, sad to say.

tennessee lost the game in the 1st quarter..they kept missing open shots and making unforced turnovers..horstons back to back to's really set the tone to the rest of the game. i thought key played really well defensively and i could not understand for the life of me why harps kept taking her out and subbing kk in..thats when south carolina made their runs. also why did tennessee stay in zone after sc repeatedly kept burning them for wide open 3 point shots. im starting to think harper has no idea how to coach in game situations very bad!!

Keep it up and we'll see how long you"dogg" the players with that avatar and name.
This isn't facebook,, right, we don't post pictures of the food we ate and we don't attack the coach of this team in a personal nature.

You've got 17,000 posts under that name...you ready to start out with a new name and number one?

Double for you @KellywillwinNC

send an email to phil chief..btw lets pull up all the posts where you personally attacked the coaching staff you silly stalker you have absolutely zero power at UT and that must bother you to no end

Reactions: tnvols72

VN Store

Back