Game Thread: #22/22 LADY VOLS AT #1/2 SOUTH CAROLINA

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
RenJo.jpg
"Let's Do This"
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 22/22 Tennessee (17-4, 7-1 SEC) will play its second No. 1-ranked team of the season, as the Lady Vols travel to Columbia to take on No. 1/2 South Carolina (20-1, 8-0 SEC) in Colonial Life Arena at 1:02 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Sunday's match-up will offer a battle between the SEC's first-place team, South Carolina, and the Lady Vols, who are tied with Mississippi State for second place with one loss apiece.

LADY VOLS VS. NO. 1 TEAMS
  • This marks the first time since 2011-12 that the Lady Vols have faced two No. 1 teams in a season. UT went 0-2 that year, losing to Baylor twice.
  • Tennessee's last win over a No. 1-ranked team was on March 6, 2005, when the Lady Vols beat LSU, 67-65 in the SEC Tournament title game in Greenville, S.C.
  • UT's last true road win over a No. 1 came on Jan. 24, 2004, when the No. 2 Big Orange upended top-ranked Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 72-69
BATTLE OF SEC LEADERS IN LEAGUE PLAY
  • South Carolina's No. 1 scoring offense (88.8) in league games faces Tennessee's No. 1 scoring defense (58.8).
  • The Gamecocks' 49.3 field goal percentage in SEC games meets the Lady Vols' 35.1 field goal percentage defense.
  • South Carolina, No. 1 in rebounding offense (47.2) and rebounding defense (30.6), meets Tennessee, which ranks second (41.8 and 31.9) in those categories
  • UT freshman Jordan Horston (6.0) and USC senior Tyasha Harris (5.5) rank No. 1 and No. 3 in assists per SEC game.
  • Tennessee's Tamari Key (4.5) and South Carolina's Aliyah Boston (1.9) stand No. 1 and No. 4 in blocked shots in league contests.
  • Lady Vol Rennia Davis (81.1) and Gamecock Aliyah Boston (80.8) rank No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, in free throw percentage in SEC play.
THE ROAD LEADING UP TO THIS
  • Tennessee enters Sunday having won six of its last seven and nine of its last 11.
  • UT has won six straight SEC games and is 3-1 in league road contests, dropping only an 80-76 decision vs. #13/13 Kentucky on Jan. 5.
  • Rennia Davis is averaging 22.7 points per game over her last five, shooting 50.0 percent from the field, 38.5 on threes and 89.5 at the charity stripe.
  • Jazmine Massengill is averaging 10.7 ppg. and shooting 54.2 percent over the last five games.
  • South Carolina comes in riding a 14-game winning streak since losing to No. 17/23 Indiana at the Paradise Jam in the U.S.V.I. on Nov. 28.
  • The Gamecocks are coming off an 87-32 win at Ole Miss. on Thursday night. UT collected an equally impressive 84-28 victory at Ole Miss on Jan. 9.
  • USC's closest game of late was an 81-79 home win over No. 9/9 Mississippi State on Jan. 20.
RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • Junior forward Rennia Davis poured in 22 points to lead No. 22/22 Tennessee to a 78-69 victory over in-state rival Vanderbilt at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville on Thursday night.
  • Davis scored 16 of her points in the second half to hit double figures in points for the 19th straight game and for the 33rd time in her past 34 games. Jazmine Massengill was Tennessee's (17-4, 7-1 SEC) second-highest scorer with 14 points, and Jordan Horston and Rae Burrell each turned in 11.
  • Vanderbilt (12-9, 2-6) was led by Koi Love who had 16 points. Kiara Pearl added 13.
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
  • Team Effort: Tennessee had four players in double figures (Davis - 22, Massengill - 14, Burrell - 11, Horston - 11), and every player who saw action contributed at least two points.
  • Burrell Back In Double Digits: Sophomore Rae Burrell came off the bench to turn in 11 points against the 'Dores. It's the ninth time this season she has scored 10 or more and the third time in SEC play.
  • Massengill Hitting Her Stride: Jazmine Massengill turned in her second double-digit performance in three games, setting a new SEC high of 14 points against Vandy while doling out three assists. She has now scored 10+ points on six occasions this season.
  • Davis Making Moves: Rennia Davis recorded her fifth 20+ game of the season and the 12th of her career. Twelve career games with 20+ points ties her with Semeka Randall and Daedra Charles for ninth all-time among Lady Vols. Additionally, she raised her career total to 1,239, passing Abby Conklin to rank 32nd all-time among Lady Vol scorers.
  • Shooting 50 Percent Or Better: The Lady Vols hit 51.7 percent of their shots against Vandy, marking the ninth time this season and the fourth time in SEC play they have shot 50 percent or better. That occurred only three times during the entire 2018-19 season.
UT-USC SERIES NOTES
  • UT enters Sunday's contest with a 50-8 advantage in the series, including 21-2 in Columbia, 22-3 in Knoxville and 7-3 at neutral sites. UT has won the last two times in Columbia.
  • Tennessee is 5-3 vs. USC during the postseason and is 1-0 in overtime, taking a 79-73 extra-frame decision over the Gamecocks in the Palmetto State on Feb. 15, 1996. UT is 3-2 vs. USC in the SEC Tourney.
  • Harper was 5-0 vs. USC as a player, participating in the only overtime game between these schools in 1996.
  • Since 2010, UT and USC each have won four SEC regular-season titles, with UT winning or sharing in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 and USC doing so in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
  • After defeating South Carolina, the regular season SEC champs at 14-2, the 13-3 Lady Vols went on to claim the 2014 SEC Tournament title in Duluth, Ga.
  • Tennessee lost to South Carolina, 64-60, on Feb. 2, 2012, in Knoxville, but rebounded to defeat USC in the 2012 SEC Tournament semifinals in Nashville, 74-58, en route to its 16th SEC postseason championship.
ABOUT SOUTH CAROLINA
  • South Carolina returned two starters and six total letterwinners from last season's 23-10 squad that was second in the SEC at 13-3.
  • USC was picked by the media to win the SEC this season. The coaches projected USC second.
  • The Gamecocks start three freshmen from the nation's No. 1 class, with rookie Aliyah Boston leading the way in scoring (13.2) and rebounding (8.9).
THE LAST TIME WE MET IN COLUMBIA
  • Senior Mercedes Russell recorded a 16-point, 12-rebound double-double to lead No. 6/6 Tennessee to an 86-70 victory over No. 9/8 South Carolina on Jan. 14, 2018, at Colonial Life Arena.
  • Jaime Nared added 21 points as the Lady Vols (16-1, 4-1 SEC) bounced back from their first loss of the season with a win over the defending national champions and their second consecutive victory in Columbia. UT was fueled by a balanced attack, with five different players reaching double figures.
  • Tyasha Harris put on an offensive display for South Carolina (14-3, 3-2 SEC) with a game-high 28 points and four assists. The Gamecocks were able to cut the deficit to four with under six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, but Tennessee relied on strong defense and timely scoring to end the game on a 16-4 run

VolNation
South Carolina's last 3 game recaps:

South Carolina Breaks Records at Ole Miss

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) Leticia Amihere scored 16 points and No. 1 South Carolina held Mississippi scoreless in the first quarter and limited Ole Miss to two points in the first half on the way to an 87-32 win on Thursday night. The Gamecocks (20-1, 8-0 Southeastern Conference) led 18-0 after one period and scored 27 unanswered points before Mississippi (7-14, 0-7) got its first basket. South Carolina led 32-2 at the break. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan scored eight points, blocked two shots and added a steal in the early decisive surge as the Lady Rebels missed 19 consecutive shots and had 16 turnovers. Tyasha Harris and Herbert Harrigan finished with 10 points apiece for South Carolina, which led by as many as 57 points, 87-30, on a 3-point shot by Olivia Thompson with 1:17 remaining.

Harris Becomes All-Time Assists Leader as Gamecocks Win at UGA

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Tyasha Harris is realizing the value of her scoring even as she has claimed a new title as South Carolina's career assists leader. Harris scored 13 points and added seven assists and No. 1 South Carolina rode an overwhelming opening period to its 13th consecutive win, beating Georgia 88-53 on Sunday. Harris, a senior, now has 617 career assists, passing the old mark of 615 set by Cristina Ciocan from 2001-04. ''It's a great record to get,'' Harris said. ''I always like passing the ball. That's what I pride myself on. A little bit too much, I guess you could say, sometime. But it's great.'' Aliyah Boston led South Carolina (19-1, 7-0 Southeastern Conference) with 15 points and four of the Gamecocks' 11 steals. Destanni Henderson had 14 points.

South Carolina Outfights No. 9 Mississippi St 81-79

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) Down nine points in the fourth quarter and close to getting run out of her building, South Carolina coach Dawn Staley didn't panic. Her top-ranked Gamecocks wouldn't let her. Tyasha Harris had a season-high 23 points and the Gamecocks rallied in the final period to win their 12th straight with a 81-79 victory over No. 9 Mississippi State on Monday night. Staley called time out after South Carolina trailed 71-62 with eight minutes to go and quickly saw her players were locked in and eager to turn things around. Harris and the Gamecocks put that belief into action, snapping off a 12-2 run to get them back into the game. Zia Cooke made a three-point play and a basket, both which put the Gamecocks (18-1, 6-0 Southeastern Conference) back in front. JaMya Mingo-Young had consecutive shots as Mississippi State (17-3, 4-1) built a 79-76 lead with 3:28 to go. But the Bulldogs missed their final five shots. Mississippi State had several chances to go in front, but Rickea Jackson and Jordan Danberry both missed shots to put the Bulldogs back in front in the final two minutes.

By the Numbers:

• Depth (10+ mins.)...SC 9,,,UT 11
  • FG%...SC 47% opp 33%,,,UT 45.5% opp 31.5%
  • 3 pt...SC 109/294 for 37%,,,UT 103/318 for 33%
  • FT's...SC 332/481 for 69%,,,UT 225/345 for 65%
  • PTs...SC 83.9 opp 56.3,,,UT 73.0 opp 55.9
  • REBs...SC 47.4 opp 34.1,,,UT 47.9 opp 35.0
  • Asst/TO's...SC 333-338,,,UT 368-358
  • STLs...SC 202,,,UT 124
  • BLKs...SC 173,,,UT 156

Gameplan
  • SC will look downcourt for transition offense...we must beat them downcourt and make them use their "set"
  • SC takes pride in drawing charges...when we attack the paint it cannot be timid, if they do get in the way,,run over them and make a statement
  • SC looks for assists on every basket...If we get them into a 1-on-1 game, advantage us
  • Aliyah Boston is who they like to run the offensive-sets through...Make her run and tire her out, making her work for everything
  • Dribble-drives and DD's with kickouts are how you will beat South Carolina
  • We must get back on defense and take away their fastbreak
  • Coach K has to work the refs
  • The mid to high paint curls will give us the best shot-opportunities
Predictions:

Coach Jumper : UT 80 SC 76
Masse : SC 77 UT 63
RPI.com : SC 86 UT 61

Unfortunately, I think we’re in for a long afternoon. But stranger things have happened!

No telling what will happen tomorrow. I think we have a shot. I view this as an incredible opportunity for them. Not often you get to play the #1 team in the country during conference. An opponent you’re familiar with and have history with adds so much more to the game.

As a true LV fan I gotta take us in the upset 76-74.

A win would make KJH a lock for SEC COY IMO. But I'm not really expecting it. If we keep it under 15, including the end of game parade to the ft line, I'll be pleased.

Would like to see the LV team that played the first half at UConn and the second half at Vandy. If that team shows up, it could be interesting. But even one let down of turnoveritis and they'll take us out of it quickly.

Not even Dusty Springfield, the singer, known for "Wishin & Hopin" would take the LVs on the road at the number one school in all of women's college basketball tomorrow....

It would be nice for an unexpected win, but it would be nice to win the lottery too....I like the lottery's odds better for this one.

Nor am I predicting a 20 point loss....A win by 4 would be as a win by 30 in this case

I will not go against my girls.!
We have a very good shot if we don't get frenetic like we did in the second half at UCONN. Our pups still haven't learned to be calm, methodic and consistent during a storm. When they learn that, we will be a dangerous team for anyone.

As GameTime said, wishin&hopin don't get you wins. SC is too good for this team right now and they are at home. If LV's can stay within 10 would be considered a good outing. I don't see the game all that close except maybe first half. Dawn will kick butt and halftime and they will overwhelm LV's in 2nd half. As hard as it is, you have see game in reality sometime instead of with your heart.

Reactions: GameTime
A win would make KJH a lock for SEC COY IMO. But I'm not really expecting it. If we keep it under 15, including the end of game parade to the ft line, I'll be pleased.

Would like to see the LV team that played the first half at UConn and the second half at Vandy. If that team shows up, it could be interesting. But even one let down of turnoveritis and they'll take us out of it quickly.

Agreed.
It might seem strange to some people to read that you’d be pleased if we kept it under 15, but to me, that would be like a Win Lite. lol Not impossible, but God would likely suddenly have to make time to care about sports outcomes and also be a Lady Vols fan for it to happen.

We have a very good shot if we don't get frenetic like we did in the second half at UCONN. Our pups still haven't learned to be calm, methodic and consistent during a storm. When they learn that, we will be a dangerous team for anyone.

I am afraid Beal (guarding) Davis will take her out of her game? And the rest of team will flounder without Davis leading the team ! Beal is tall enough , strong enough, and quicker than Davis ! I hope I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️

I am afraid Beal (guarding) Davis will take her out of her game? And the rest of team will flounder without Davis leading the team ! Beal is tall enough , strong enough, and quicker than Davis ! I hope I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 258034
"Let's Do This"
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 22/22 Tennessee (17-4, 7-1 SEC) will play its second No. 1-ranked team of the season, as the Lady Vols travel to Columbia to take on No. 1/2 South Carolina (20-1, 8-0 SEC) in Colonial Life Arena at 1:02 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Sunday's match-up will offer a battle between the SEC's first-place team, South Carolina, and the Lady Vols, who are tied with Mississippi State for second place with one loss apiece.

LADY VOLS VS. NO. 1 TEAMS
  • This marks the first time since 2011-12 that the Lady Vols have faced two No. 1 teams in a season. UT went 0-2 that year, losing to Baylor twice.
  • Tennessee's last win over a No. 1-ranked team was on March 6, 2005, when the Lady Vols beat LSU, 67-65 in the SEC Tournament title game in Greenville, S.C.
  • UT's last true road win over a No. 1 came on Jan. 24, 2004, when the No. 2 Big Orange upended top-ranked Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 72-69
BATTLE OF SEC LEADERS IN LEAGUE PLAY
  • South Carolina's No. 1 scoring offense (88.8) in league games faces Tennessee's No. 1 scoring defense (58.8).
  • The Gamecocks' 49.3 field goal percentage in SEC games meets the Lady Vols' 35.1 field goal percentage defense.
  • South Carolina, No. 1 in rebounding offense (47.2) and rebounding defense (30.6), meets Tennessee, which ranks second (41.8 and 31.9) in those categories
  • UT freshman Jordan Horston (6.0) and USC senior Tyasha Harris (5.5) rank No. 1 and No. 3 in assists per SEC game.
  • Tennessee's Tamari Key (4.5) and South Carolina's Aliyah Boston (1.9) stand No. 1 and No. 4 in blocked shots in league contests.
  • Lady Vol Rennia Davis (81.1) and Gamecock Aliyah Boston (80.8) rank No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, in free throw percentage in SEC play.
THE ROAD LEADING UP TO THIS
  • Tennessee enters Sunday having won six of its last seven and nine of its last 11.
  • UT has won six straight SEC games and is 3-1 in league road contests, dropping only an 80-76 decision vs. #13/13 Kentucky on Jan. 5.
  • Rennia Davis is averaging 22.7 points per game over her last five, shooting 50.0 percent from the field, 38.5 on threes and 89.5 at the charity stripe.
  • Jazmine Massengill is averaging 10.7 ppg. and shooting 54.2 percent over the last five games.
  • South Carolina comes in riding a 14-game winning streak since losing to No. 17/23 Indiana at the Paradise Jam in the U.S.V.I. on Nov. 28.
  • The Gamecocks are coming off an 87-32 win at Ole Miss. on Thursday night. UT collected an equally impressive 84-28 victory at Ole Miss on Jan. 9.
  • USC's closest game of late was an 81-79 home win over No. 9/9 Mississippi State on Jan. 20.
RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • Junior forward Rennia Davis poured in 22 points to lead No. 22/22 Tennessee to a 78-69 victory over in-state rival Vanderbilt at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville on Thursday night.
  • Davis scored 16 of her points in the second half to hit double figures in points for the 19th straight game and for the 33rd time in her past 34 games. Jazmine Massengill was Tennessee's (17-4, 7-1 SEC) second-highest scorer with 14 points, and Jordan Horston and Rae Burrell each turned in 11.
  • Vanderbilt (12-9, 2-6) was led by Koi Love who had 16 points. Kiara Pearl added 13.
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
  • Team Effort: Tennessee had four players in double figures (Davis - 22, Massengill - 14, Burrell - 11, Horston - 11), and every player who saw action contributed at least two points.
  • Burrell Back In Double Digits: Sophomore Rae Burrell came off the bench to turn in 11 points against the 'Dores. It's the ninth time this season she has scored 10 or more and the third time in SEC play.
  • Massengill Hitting Her Stride: Jazmine Massengill turned in her second double-digit performance in three games, setting a new SEC high of 14 points against Vandy while doling out three assists. She has now scored 10+ points on six occasions this season.
  • Davis Making Moves: Rennia Davis recorded her fifth 20+ game of the season and the 12th of her career. Twelve career games with 20+ points ties her with Semeka Randall and Daedra Charles for ninth all-time among Lady Vols. Additionally, she raised her career total to 1,239, passing Abby Conklin to rank 32nd all-time among Lady Vol scorers.
  • Shooting 50 Percent Or Better: The Lady Vols hit 51.7 percent of their shots against Vandy, marking the ninth time this season and the fourth time in SEC play they have shot 50 percent or better. That occurred only three times during the entire 2018-19 season.
UT-USC SERIES NOTES
  • UT enters Sunday's contest with a 50-8 advantage in the series, including 21-2 in Columbia, 22-3 in Knoxville and 7-3 at neutral sites. UT has won the last two times in Columbia.
  • Tennessee is 5-3 vs. USC during the postseason and is 1-0 in overtime, taking a 79-73 extra-frame decision over the Gamecocks in the Palmetto State on Feb. 15, 1996. UT is 3-2 vs. USC in the SEC Tourney.
  • Harper was 5-0 vs. USC as a player, participating in the only overtime game between these schools in 1996.
  • Since 2010, UT and USC each have won four SEC regular-season titles, with UT winning or sharing in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 and USC doing so in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
  • After defeating South Carolina, the regular season SEC champs at 14-2, the 13-3 Lady Vols went on to claim the 2014 SEC Tournament title in Duluth, Ga.
  • Tennessee lost to South Carolina, 64-60, on Feb. 2, 2012, in Knoxville, but rebounded to defeat USC in the 2012 SEC Tournament semifinals in Nashville, 74-58, en route to its 16th SEC postseason championship.
ABOUT SOUTH CAROLINA
  • South Carolina returned two starters and six total letterwinners from last season's 23-10 squad that was second in the SEC at 13-3.
  • USC was picked by the media to win the SEC this season. The coaches projected USC second.
  • The Gamecocks start three freshmen from the nation's No. 1 class, with rookie Aliyah Boston leading the way in scoring (13.2) and rebounding (8.9).
THE LAST TIME WE MET IN COLUMBIA
  • Senior Mercedes Russell recorded a 16-point, 12-rebound double-double to lead No. 6/6 Tennessee to an 86-70 victory over No. 9/8 South Carolina on Jan. 14, 2018, at Colonial Life Arena.
  • Jaime Nared added 21 points as the Lady Vols (16-1, 4-1 SEC) bounced back from their first loss of the season with a win over the defending national champions and their second consecutive victory in Columbia. UT was fueled by a balanced attack, with five different players reaching double figures.
  • Tyasha Harris put on an offensive display for South Carolina (14-3, 3-2 SEC) with a game-high 28 points and four assists. The Gamecocks were able to cut the deficit to four with under six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, but Tennessee relied on strong defense and timely scoring to end the game on a 16-4 run

VolNation
South Carolina's last 3 game recaps:

South Carolina Breaks Records at Ole Miss

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) Leticia Amihere scored 16 points and No. 1 South Carolina held Mississippi scoreless in the first quarter and limited Ole Miss to two points in the first half on the way to an 87-32 win on Thursday night. The Gamecocks (20-1, 8-0 Southeastern Conference) led 18-0 after one period and scored 27 unanswered points before Mississippi (7-14, 0-7) got its first basket. South Carolina led 32-2 at the break. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan scored eight points, blocked two shots and added a steal in the early decisive surge as the Lady Rebels missed 19 consecutive shots and had 16 turnovers. Tyasha Harris and Herbert Harrigan finished with 10 points apiece for South Carolina, which led by as many as 57 points, 87-30, on a 3-point shot by Olivia Thompson with 1:17 remaining.

Harris Becomes All-Time Assists Leader as Gamecocks Win at UGA

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Tyasha Harris is realizing the value of her scoring even as she has claimed a new title as South Carolina's career assists leader. Harris scored 13 points and added seven assists and No. 1 South Carolina rode an overwhelming opening period to its 13th consecutive win, beating Georgia 88-53 on Sunday. Harris, a senior, now has 617 career assists, passing the old mark of 615 set by Cristina Ciocan from 2001-04. ''It's a great record to get,'' Harris said. ''I always like passing the ball. That's what I pride myself on. A little bit too much, I guess you could say, sometime. But it's great.'' Aliyah Boston led South Carolina (19-1, 7-0 Southeastern Conference) with 15 points and four of the Gamecocks' 11 steals. Destanni Henderson had 14 points.

South Carolina Outfights No. 9 Mississippi St 81-79

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) Down nine points in the fourth quarter and close to getting run out of her building, South Carolina coach Dawn Staley didn't panic. Her top-ranked Gamecocks wouldn't let her. Tyasha Harris had a season-high 23 points and the Gamecocks rallied in the final period to win their 12th straight with a 81-79 victory over No. 9 Mississippi State on Monday night. Staley called time out after South Carolina trailed 71-62 with eight minutes to go and quickly saw her players were locked in and eager to turn things around. Harris and the Gamecocks put that belief into action, snapping off a 12-2 run to get them back into the game. Zia Cooke made a three-point play and a basket, both which put the Gamecocks (18-1, 6-0 Southeastern Conference) back in front. JaMya Mingo-Young had consecutive shots as Mississippi State (17-3, 4-1) built a 79-76 lead with 3:28 to go. But the Bulldogs missed their final five shots. Mississippi State had several chances to go in front, but Rickea Jackson and Jordan Danberry both missed shots to put the Bulldogs back in front in the final two minutes.

By the Numbers:

• Depth (10+ mins.)...SC 9,,,UT 11
  • FG%...SC 47% opp 33%,,,UT 45.5% opp 31.5%
  • 3 pt...SC 109/294 for 37%,,,UT 103/318 for 33%
  • FT's...SC 332/481 for 69%,,,UT 225/345 for 65%
  • PTs...SC 83.9 opp 56.3,,,UT 73.0 opp 55.9
  • REBs...SC 47.4 opp 34.1,,,UT 47.9 opp 35.0
  • Asst/TO's...SC 333-338,,,UT 368-358
  • STLs...SC 202,,,UT 124
  • BLKs...SC 173,,,UT 156

Gameplan
  • SC will look downcourt for transition offense...we must beat them downcourt and make them use their "set"
  • SC takes pride in drawing charges...when we attack the paint it cannot be timid, if they do get in the way,,run over them and make a statement
  • SC looks for assists on every basket...If we get them into a 1-on-1 game, advantage us
  • Aliyah Boston is who they like to run the offensive-sets through...Make her run and tire her out, making her work for everything
  • Dribble-drives and DD's with kickouts are how you will beat South Carolina
  • We must get back on defense and take away their fastbreak
  • Coach K has to work the refs
  • The mid to high paint curls will give us the best shot-opportunities
Predictions:

Coach Jumper : UT 80 SC 76
Masse : SC 77 UT 63
RPI.com : SC 86 UT 61
This is a game that truly tells who we are. Some would say we already know who we are from games we played against Stanford and UCONN, however, this game will show what lessons we have learned from those games. We were flat against Stanford but played a good first half against UCONN but feel apart the second half. This game is not necessarily about winning or losing but answering the question, can we play well against top ranked competition? It will also determine if we have learned that we can’t be passive and wait for Burrell and McCoy to come in before we become aggressive. We can be USC but we have to have that kick ass mentally.

Agreed.
It might seem strange to some people to read that you’d be pleased if we kept it under 15, but to me, that would be like a Win Lite. lol Not impossible, but God would likely suddenly have to make time to care about sports outcomes and also be a Lady Vols fan for it to happen.
Ordinarily I hate moral victory wins or as you cleverly say, "Win Lite." But we have to be situational here. If you were in the deep dark valleys of the last few seasons you are more likely to acknowledge moral victories like playing solidly and closely to the best team in the country. Hate that we're at that place but we are. Sooner KJH pulls us out of that ditch the better and we'll start heapin scorn on Win Lite again.
Best things I saw at Vandy was when Davis struggled in the first half, Rae and McCoy gave us enough spark to stay alive. Also great that Rennia shook it off and had a great second half. Encouraging, tho I know, not against a So Carolina caliber team.

I think fouls may play a big part tomorrow as well. I actually think a tightly called game is in our favor. SC is the more physical team and we actually haven’t been fouling as much lately.

Reactions: RollerVol
Playing the stats they are averaging 17 offensive rebounds to our 15. Here lately we haven't been doing that well and have been allowing the opponent to do better anyway saying this plays out that is a couple extra shots or possessions for them. They average 14 turnovers a game to our 17 and we've been much worse on the road, but if these percentage hold out that is an extra three possession shot attempts for them. They average 16 free throws to our 11 so plus five for them. They shoot 48 percent to our 45 percent. Really looks hard for us to come up with a win they will have to play down to what they have achieved stat wise this season and we'll have to play better than ours to have that chance to win. Seems according to the stats they would be about a 15 point favorite plus they are at home so that is worth a few points with their crowd participation.
If we want to slow the game down we can make this a 50 possession per team game and that could mean a game winning score in the 60's. I really don't know what the game plan will be. I hope were not in a big hurry and are willing to drive the ball to the basket make them make a play or the Refs make a call. I can live with losing and being aggressive and using the drive both to put pressure on the defense and also possibly open up shots on the perimeter. No time to be passive and timid give them your best shot, but be mindful to be intelligent in your play and not make unnecessary or risky passes.

Today's Kellie Harper show was memorable:
The Kellie Harper Show
Watch Episodes
The Kellie Harper TV Show takes Tennessee fans inside the workings of the winningest program in women's basketball. This entertaining 30-minute television show is hosted by head coach Kellie Harper and the Lady Vol Network's Mickey Dearstone. The show includes game highlights, exclusive behind-the-scenes player and team features as well as a scouting report for the upcoming week in Lady Vol basketball.The show airs for nine consecutive weeks during basketball season. Stations and times are subject to change. Check local listings for The Kellie Harper TV Show in your area.

Kelly Harper Show Listings
Market Station Network Day Time
ChattanoogaWTVC ABC Saturday 12:30pm
Jackson E+TV6 Friday 8 & 9pm
Knoxville WVLT CBS Saturday 11:30am
My VLT MyNetwork Sunday 9:30pm
Nashville WZTV Saturday 11:30am
Tri-Cities WJHL ABC Saturday 12:30pm

I highly recommend it.!

Today's Kellie Harper show was memorable:
The Kellie Harper Show
Watch Episodes
The Kellie Harper TV Show takes Tennessee fans inside the workings of the winningest program in women's basketball. This entertaining 30-minute television show is hosted by head coach Kellie Harper and the Lady Vol Network's Mickey Dearstone. The show includes game highlights, exclusive behind-the-scenes player and team features as well as a scouting report for the upcoming week in Lady Vol basketball.The show airs for nine consecutive weeks during basketball season. Stations and times are subject to change. Check local listings for The Kellie Harper TV Show in your area.

Kelly Harper Show Listings
Market Station Network Day Time
ChattanoogaWTVC ABC Saturday 12:30pm
Jackson E+TV6 Friday 8 & 9pm
Knoxville WVLT CBS Saturday 11:30am
My VLT MyNetwork Sunday 9:30pm
Nashville WZTV Saturday 11:30am
Tri-Cities WJHL ABC Saturday 12:30pm

I highly recommend it.!

Excellent show this week. Got goosebumps once. Seems to me like coach is confident in where she is with her team. To outwardly speak about championships is bold and timely!

VN Store

Back