Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Edie Darby has better moves than a lot of our scholarship players, plus she's a better shot. Too bad she's not on scholarship so she could get more minutes Hopefully she will get a scholarship for next season. And don't give me the excuse that she's too small. She has the moves and speed to create shots even better than her sister.
I don’t understand why, if she’s better than someone on scholarship, she wouldn’t get the minutes?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Jackson and Horston didn't recieve a single vote for the All American teams, not one damn vote between the two of them.....if that don't eat at them enough well then nothing else will this year....only way to redeem their respect is to earn it....
Yes, they actually did get votes. That's how you get honorable mention, which Jackson got on both AA squads and Horston on one. They got votes (mentions) just not enough to make the 3 teams. Which is an absurd notion that there are 15 players better than Jordy and Kea in this country. There are not.
Get there for the second half! Good luck 🍀
Thought about that but just too much hurry and stress. Plus that damn 20$ parking! Important thing is the game buddy is taken care of, her Dad is taking her. She is so excited!

We'll need to play really well but I think we pull it out.
LVs 72-60.

Yes, they actually did get votes. That's how you get honorable mention, which Jackson got on both AA squads and Horston on one. They got votes (mentions) just not enough to make the 3 teams. Which is an absurd notion that there are 15 players better than Jordy and Kea in this country. There are not.

Thought about that but just too much hurry and stress. Plus that damn 20$ parking! Important thing is the game buddy is taken care of, her Dad is taking her. She is so excited!

LVs 72-60.

It's remarkable to me that both Horston and Jackson are often projected as top 10 WNBA draft picks, but neither of them were considered top 15 in the NCAA.

Another interesting article by Cora, this one about Walker. Her sister was at the game and talked about how strong and persistent Walker is. She also said that she and other families of players were noting how happy the players on our team seem to be. Funny how just a few weeks ago that many people were painting a picture of a team in dissention in which everyone was ready to leave ASAP. In any case, I will post the article here given it is not a "subscriber only" one. If someone could let me know if this type of article is accessible to everyone here, I would appreciate it.
Jordan Walker played crucial part in Lady Vols' first March Madness win
You asked, I got the pay wall.

Reactions: LV renaissance
Funny how just a few weeks ago that many people were painting a picture of a team in dissention in which everyone was ready to leave ASAP.
I don't remember it that way at all. A few who for some reason are fixated on Justine as the cure all threw out some dreamed up drama about her possibly leaving. And poor, poor Sara. With any player that mired in a season long slump, all options for her future come up. Same for the end of bench players. Other than that, I don't remember everyone ready to leave talk.

What I do remember is seat warming talk under KJH after the UConn/LSU/Miss St losses which was perfectly legit. But as KJH often does, she pulled those chestnuts out of the fire with a strong finish (not done yet) and perhaps the biggest LV culture/recruiting coup of the decade with the return announcements.

IMO what KJH has to do next year is never get the chestnuts into the fire. Start strong, stay strong. You don't get that many second acts in life.

I don't remember it that way at all. A few who for some reason are fixated on Justine as the cure all threw out some dreamed up drama about her possibly leaving. And poor, poor Sara. With any player that mired in a season long slump, all options for her future come up. Same for the end of bench players. Other than that, I don't remember everyone ready to leave talk.

What I do remember is seat warming talk under KJH after the UConn/LSU/Miss St losses which was perfectly legit. But as KJH often does, she pulled those chestnuts out of the fire with a strong finish (not done yet) and perhaps the biggest LV culture/recruiting coup of the decade with the return announcements.

IMO what KJH has to do next year is never get the chestnuts into the fire. Start strong, stay strong. You don't get that many second acts in life.
I also remember many posts about how it was unlikely that any of the seniors coming back including Key, Powell was a goner despite her stated plan to stay 2 years along with Pissott, Wynn and Brooklyn. So yes, pretty much the whole team leaving. Perhaps this was propagated by only a handful of posters who were profuse in posting these comments during our rough spots.

I think the LVs will have to establish their dominance early and build a big lead. Teams that hang around too long can get confident. If they jump on them early, they should win.
We should win, correct, but we better not assume an easy win based on the name on the jersey. Toledo has 30 wins and they’ve beaten more ranked teams this year than we have. If we go out at home to a MAC team, all the goodwill Kellie built by beating LSU and convincing Rickea to come back goes out the window and she’s right back on the hot seat next year.

We should win, correct, but we better not assume an easy win based on the name on the jersey. Toledo has 30 wins and they’ve beaten more ranked teams this year than we have. If we go out at home to a MAC team, all the goodwill Kellie built by beating LSU and convincing Rickea to come back goes out the window and she’s right back on the hot seat next year.
Agreed this is no slouch opponent. I definitely think part of the problem with Stanford last night is they didn't take Ole Miss seriously. The LVs aren't in a position to take anyone for granted and need this almost as much as Toledo to keep the good vibes going.

It’s Ole Miss’s speed that killed Stanford, IMO. The Rebels beat the Card to just about every loose ball, and were able to get around the slower players to get rebounds that would normally go to Stanford.

The reason Tennessee was able to beat them is we are accustomed to playing teams like that. Quick, and tough as nails. I really don’t think Stanford sees as many opponents like that.

It's remarkable to me that both Horston and Jackson are often projected as top 10 WNBA draft picks, but neither of them were considered top 15 in the NCAA.

Different criteria. Had the LVs been a top 5 team at the end of the season, you could bank on them both being AA. The WNBA scouts potential

Reactions: travis929
It is always a little nervy to face a team that has aspirations of going on a :Cinderella run."

Did they just have a one in a hundred at the right time or have they found a cohesiveness that more than compensates for an overall talent deficit as they move through the tourney.

I only know Toledo from their recent upset but I think they are morel likely to be the latter.

If the LVs shoot like they did in game 1, particularly Jordan H., they should have another a double digit win.

LVs 72-60.

You think they would have made it if we were a top 5 team?

Wasn’t a hot seat, isn’t a hot seat, regardless of outcome today won’t be a hot seat.

VN Store

Back