Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Another interesting article by Cora, this one about Walker. Her sister was at the game and talked about how strong and persistent Walker is. She also said that she and other families of players were noting how happy the players on our team seem to be. Funny how just a few weeks ago that many people were painting a picture of a team in dissention in which everyone was ready to leave ASAP. In any case, I will post the article here given it is not a "subscriber only" one. If someone could let me know if this type of article is accessible to everyone here, I would appreciate it.
Jordan Walker played crucial part in Lady Vols' first March Madness win

Really nice piece, great young lady, tough as nails.

Out of all the 4 seeds yesterday we were the only team that really owned our match-up. None of the games were particularly close but putting up 95 points impressed me.

Best opening round game we have played in a very long time. Hope we can maintain that focus and momentum going forward.

Truly think this team has an opportunity to punch their ticket for Dallas and the Final Four.

I would not be at all shocked to see SDSU knock off Virginia Tech. If Soule is out that really hurts them defensively. VaTech really didn’t impress me in their opening round game. Only putting up 58 points on Chattanooga, Chatty is solid defensively but you’d expect the 1 seed to handle them better. (We beat Chatty 69-39 without Jackson and right after Key went out for the season).

SDSU is super tough and really well coached. I do not think VaTech has anyone that can guard Selland. She is a powerful player and she knows it. One of the strongest women in the tournament. She has some guns and she’s just country built and a beast out there. Kitley isn’t going to like the physicality SDSU brings.

I think UCONN has a relatively easy path to the Elite Eight. They play a meh Baylor team and then will get either UNC or Ohio State in the Sweet 16. Neither of those teams played well in their opening game and UNC was lucky to advance. UNC and Ohio State have been trending the wrong direction late in the season.

403851_20230312_WB_Selection_Show_KL_032.jpg

Round of 64: Lady Vols beat St Louis 95-50!!!
Round of 32: Lady Vols v Toledo

((( Postings for the 2nd round begins at page 19)))

Coach Jumper's prediction: Lady Vols 88-56
+++++++++++++
View attachment 541743

Nex game: Lady Vols v Toledo

Toledo, a 12 seed, beat Iowa State a 5 seed 80-73
Their box score from that game:
View attachment 541688
Toledo runs a 4 guard set, so look for unusual lineups for TN

Their game summary...
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- — Quinesha Lockett scored 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as 12th-seeded Toledo knocked off No. 5 seed Iowa State 80-73 for Saturday's second big upset of the women's NCAA Tournament.

Toledo became the second 12 seed to win Saturday, joining Florida Gulf Coast not long after its win over Washington State. Toledo now will play No. 4 seed Tennessee, a 95-50 winner over 13th-seeded Saint Louis, on Monday night for a spot in the Sweet 16 in the Seattle 3 region.

The Rockets (29-4) matched the program record for most wins for a second straight season by winning a record 17th straight game, topping the 16-game streak of 2000-01. They also posted their first NCAA win since 1996 in their ninth tournament appearance overall and first since 2017.

Jayda Jansen scored 17 points for Toledo, Sophia Wiard added 15 points and Nan Garcia 12.

Iowa State got within 78-73 on Denae Fritz’s 3 with 29.4 seconds left. Toledo didn’t make a bucket after Lockett’s layup with 3:35 to go, but the Rockets sealed the win hitting its final eight free throws over the final 63 seconds.

When Lexi Donarski’s 3 missed with 24 seconds left, Toledo got the rebound and Justina King just held the ball as the final seconds ticked off before the Rockets started celebrating.

Iowa State (22-10) came in as the Big 12 Tournament champ for the first time since 2001 after stringing together upsets of a trio of NCAA Tournament teams in Baylor, Oklahoma and Texas. The Cyclones also had the Big 12 Player of the Year in Ashley Joens looking for a second straight Sweet 16 berth.

Instead, the Cyclones head home with their first opening round loss since 2017.

Joens led Iowa State with 23 points and 13 rebounds, including a perfect 11-of-11 at the free throw line. Joens was 0-of-4 in the fourth quarter. Donarski finished with 13, and Fritz and Emily Ryan each had 11.

Iowa State took its biggest lead at 23-18 and was up 23-20 after the first quarter.

Garcia's layup put Toledo ahead to stay with 7:52 left in the second as Toledo outscored Iowa State 23-13 in the second for a 43-36 lead into halftime. Toledo led 61-53 going into the fourth.

BIG PICTURE

Toledo: The Rockets also won 29 games in 2012-13. They improved to 4-8 in the NCAA Tournament with their first win since downing Ole Miss in 1996. The Rockets were the No. 10 seed and lost in the second round to Old Dominion.

Iowa State: This was the 14th tournament berth in the last 16 tournaments for the Cyclones who had a strong argument to be hosting themselves as the Big 12 Tournament champ and ranked 17th nationally. They won their first-round games in 2019, 2021 and 2022 when they lost to Creighton in the Sweet 16.

UP NEXT

Toledo will play No. 24 Tennessee for the second time in program history on Monday night for the program's first ever trip to the Sweet 16. Tennessee beat Toledo 81-63 on Dec. 18, 1985, in a regular season tournament in Hawaii.

------
LVs 93--Toledo 52. GBO.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Another interesting article by Cora, this one about Walker. Her sister was at the game and talked about how strong and persistent Walker is. She also said that she and other families of players were noting how happy the players on our team seem to be. Funny how just a few weeks ago that many people were painting a picture of a team in dissention in which everyone was ready to leave ASAP. In any case, I will post the article here given it is not a "subscriber only" one. If someone could let me know if this type of article is accessible to everyone here, I would appreciate it.
Jordan Walker played crucial part in Lady Vols' first March Madness win
I love Walker, her game always steps up during the tournament, maybe some of her will rub off on the other guards.
Thanks for the article post.

Last edited:
I would not be at all shocked to see SDSU knock off Virginia Tech. If Soule is out that really hurts them defensively. VaTech really didn’t impress me in their opening round game. Only putting up 58 points on Chattanooga, Chatty is solid defensively but you’d expect the 1 seed to handle them better. (We beat Chatty 69-39 without Jackson and right after Key went out for the season).

I think I read somewhere that they determined Soule just had cramps so is expected to play today. But still, I agree with you, and I picked SDSU to win. Picking them and Miss. St. to make the Sweet 16 are my biggest/riskiest bracket upset picks.

Funny how just a few weeks ago that many people were painting a picture of a team in dissention in which everyone was ready to leave ASAP.

What's truly ridiculous about all this gossip is that no one - NO ONE - here has the first clue. No one on here is in their huddles, or at their practices, or going to their pregame meals, or whatever. That stuff is such a damn joke. Farts in the wind. If someone said "I was on the bus ride home, and this player took a swing at that player," sure, great, but no one on here knows crap. They just project whatever their feelings are about the team onto the players. Bunch of hot air.

Fans did great Saturday - especially with the Tennessee-Duke game starting during the second half. Didn’t see more than a few leave early. I know people say the fanbases don’t entirely overlap, but I don’t know about that. I imagine a lot of us had both games on the mind.

But the fans stayed, and made it loud. Time to do it again. Monday will be a bit harder for people in terms of schedule, but it’s a big time game. Hoping all the fans that can make it, do make it.

Last edited:
I was just saying in another thread.
they're ready (Ladvy Vols) ,,,bc Rickea and Jordan are reading each other...
Each one is working to make the other better
=s making each other peak

Kea is coming back,,,but why not two championships in two years
This would satisfy Candace/Chamique/Tamika/................Rickea
She's got a good start
And this could give Jordan a good finish ;o)

Would Kea reach that status line?
Can Jordan get to a top 3 or better spot?

Man, they looked "together" on this last outing
If they continue to work to make each other better, both will grow....
Sigh,,,brings back the days of full-on coaching
Nothing like it, folks

It's win, or go home basketball

Fans did great Saturday - especially with the Tennessee-Duke game starting during the second half. Didn’t see more than a few leave early. I know people say the fanbases don’t entirely overlap, but I don’t know about that. I imagine a lot of us had both games on the mind.

But the fans stayed, and made it loud. Time to do it again. Monday will be a bit harder for people in terms of schedule, but it’s a big time game. Hoping all the fans that can make it, do make it.

Yep 6800 strong for a home postseason game...

Toledo has one player over six feet - but their four guard lineup does not turn the ball over. Top 20 in both turnovers per game average and assist-to-turnover ratio, and #23 in FG%. They take care of their possessions and make the most of them. 29 wins isn't an accident. If they maximize their efficiency against Tennessee's size, and harass enough of Tennessee's shots, they could make some noise.

On the other hand, they have only one player over six feet. If Tennessee can avoid turning the ball over excessively, and if UT's guards can handle their business against Toledo's guard rotation, that size should be a huge asset, pun intended. I'd take ours'uns over theirs'uns. Not that this is a surprise, I'm sure.
Their guards are like ants at a picnic, they are all over the place. It is a team that you have to break their spirit early because they appear to never give up and never give in. Whatever, we do I would not take this team for granted. They also gang rebound. Our bigs can not bring the ball down and expect the Rockets not to go for the ball. Go Lady Vols!!

Their guards are like ants at a picnic, they are all over the place. It is a team that you have to break their spirit early because they appear to never give up and never give in. Whatever, we do I would not take this team for granted. They also gang rebound. Our bigs can not bring the ball down and expect the Rockets not to go for the ball. Go Lady Vols!!
I am looking for just such an outing...Coach K's..."I'm gonna start with these and then bring in these" coaching is working right now....we'll play em toe to toe, then stomp their toes

VN Store

Back