Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Those turnovers are generally given to the passer rather than the recipient. Another reason they are such bad turnovers. They cause a lot of frustration between teammates. Every one of those passes Sarah was open but was not playing aggressive. She was being passive and “deferring” to Jackson and Horston. They were making the open pass and she wasn’t even getting hands on it. Because she never had possession those TOs were given to Jackson and Horston.

Jackson was drawing 3 defenders as usual and making the right pass. Puckett wasn’t ready for it at all.

I'm not so sure. There was one fast break play that Horston threw the outlet and Puckett wasn't facing the right direction - you can blame Puckett for not being ready, or Horston for throwing halfway down the court to a player who has no idea the pass is coming. Maybe it's a bad mistake for both of them.

Then, Rickea drove and probably could've scored but then tried a bounce pass through a couple defenders to get Puckett a look. I thought it was a bad decision by Rickea, and she should've been more selfish there. I'm not sure why Puckett should've expected that one.

Does Va. Tech have more talent than us? I didn't see it--not at all. What is it then? Same thing it's been for 15 years....

Our two best players had 13 TOs between them yesterday--13!

Reactions: Hoosier
I'm not so sure. There was one fast break play that Horston threw the outlet and Puckett wasn't facing the right direction - you can blame Puckett for not being ready, or Horston for throwing halfway down the court to a player who has no idea the pass is coming. Maybe it's a bad mistake for both of them.

Then, Rickea drove and probably could've scored but then tried a bounce pass through a couple defenders to get Puckett a look. I thought it was a bad decision by Rickea, and she should've been more selfish there. I'm not sure why Puckett should've expected that one.

You should always expect and want the ball.

Should have gotten herself in better shape. I said before, she's such a wobbly giraffe out there it looks physically unsafe for her.

I'd love Justine to be the 3 pt shooter of our dreams, but she's got lots of work to do to avoid being another of the many one dimensional players. I fervently hope that happens.
BS
was Tess ever in playing shape for SEC

If Justine had gotten the minutes, focus and chance Tess had, she would have shown her 5*'s

Does Va. Tech have more talent than us? I didn't see it--not at all. What is it then? Same thing it's been for 15 years....

Their 6 players beat our 11. I’d say they do have quality over quantity.

Reactions: Voluble2
BS
was Tess ever in playing shape for SEC

If Justine had gotten the minutes, focus and chance Tess had, she would have shown her 5*'s
That’s the other side to Justine, is Tess being the one ahead of her. If Tess was a dominate player nobody would question Justine, but she’s not. There needed to be a point in the season where Tess was coming off the bench and JP was given the baton to see what she could do.

The post-loss board meltdown was not as extreme as I anticipated (i.e. the board still exists).

As with many of the LVs losses, it is so easy to over analyze but this game is another deja vu all over again. When you look at the stat sheet, the LVs and VT are almost dead even in all categories except one-- three point shooting. VT hit 8 for 26 (30%) and the LVs were 3 for 17 (17%). That is a 15 point spread in a 9 point game.

It is not like VT was lighting up at 30% but the LVs were terrible behind the line as they have been in just about all their losses. And in many cases, the LVs had pretty wide open shots to boot but just couldn''t find the range. They missed a fair number of makeable shots in the paint and mid range game in the first half as well. VT built a lead despite having a lot of empty possessions thanks to the LVs dismal shooting. No debate our offensive schemes could have been better, particularly in the 1st half, but the poor shooting was the death knell. Even Maria in her twitter thread exclaimed "I can't understand all these missed jumpers."

Frustrating because that was a winnable game. When the LVs cut it to one with their press, they could not hit the shots to get the lead, which would have changed the whole feel of the game if VT had Lost a big lead but they never got over that hump.

On to the portal, next year, and hopefully an announcement from Horston.

That’s the other side to Justine, is Tess being the one ahead of her. If Tess was a dominate player nobody would question Justine, but she’s not. There needed to be a point in the season where Tess was coming off the bench and JP was given the baton to see what she could do.
right!
If something ain't working change it...oh yeah,,,I forgot, Kellie doesn't like changing things...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

therein lies the conundrum of the lady vols..... we have jackson and horston.... dangerous to be feared (look at where they are projected to be drafted) but even with their presence we could not win any game this year we weren't supposed to win with exception of LSU in tournament and you handicap these two against Va Tech say Kitley and the small guard of theirs and although we think our side is better their side won decisively why? could be talent, coaching, lack of good guard play

we need a good reliable PG, an offensive scheme, and tighter ball protection to your point

right!
If something ain't working change it...oh yeah,,,I forgot, Kellie doesn't like changing things...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

That’s a reflection point that will be her career. One of the easiest things to do is change when something is wrong or you don’t like the result. But keeping doing insanity over and over expecting change. Her method of coaching works against inferior teams.

That and every game we play against the better teams or at least most of them we get dominated at the three point line 8 threes to our 3 was basically the game. They had a couple more free throws, but that was because we were behind going down the stretch. If we can't go out and get some effective guards that are consistent three point shooters and can also drive the ball will be more of the same next season.

Exactly, there were a few other situations where the right play was to take the shot but a LV tried to force a pass instead. They need to learn that making the right decision is not being selfish even when it means taking the shot.

I am still puzzled this morning about the hows and whys of everything relating to that game yesterday. I woke up thinking that how it went down against VT felt nearly identically to how they fell to Louisville last year. It was as if we were mentally frozen, or stuck in mud, and by the time they got free it was too late.

In other words, they ran into teams that were well-prepared and much better coached....

That and every game we play against the better teams or at least most of them we get dominated at the three point line 8 threes to our 3 was basically the game. They had a couple more free throws, but that was because we were behind going down the stretch. If we can't go out and get some effective guards that are consistent three point shooters and can also drive the ball will be more of the same next season.

No disagreement about upgrade guards but in this game, the LVs had a grand total of 4 points from Striplin, Franklin, and Hollingshead (with Jill providing all four). That production level is insanely bad even against Kitley.

We are not talking rocket science. Karo took 2 threes all game. She needed to shoot more and of course make some. It is no secret when an opposing team has a big post, you can imbalance their defensive sets by having your post hit outside shots. That is exactly how opposing teams started to neutralize Key last season (i.e., by forcing her to guard on the perimeter).

Tennessee had a lot of empty possessions trying to pound it into the paint so trying to stretch the floor with outside shots would not have altered things very much even if they had misses (and maybe they would have won some of the long rebounds).

But in Kellie's scheme, 3 pt shots are supplemental and something that the team "settles for." And so, once the LVs miss a few early ones, they get gun shy quickly and continue in the old skool pound the paint game. That strategy made life fairly easy for VT. If they had been chasing the LVs around the perimeter all game, their six player rotation would have faded down the stretch.

We haqve another shooter on the bench. A five-star...for another day or two anyway.
We wasted her talent and her year

i think she gives it another year because she needs a summer of being a LV and getting up to par. But if she leaves then bless her on her next step and it opens the door for someone else to walk through.

My point still stands and I want those things. If she becomes that person (she very well could be that person that fits that role but just as tess had to improve so does she) so be it. If not then we gotta get it. Because we saw what happens when we have productive people on the floor. PERIOD.

Reactions: Lucy
...We are not talking rocket science. Karo took 2 threes all game. She needed to shoot more and of course make some. It is no secret when an opposing team has a big post, you can imbalance their defensive sets by having your post hit outside shots. That is exactly how opposing teams started to neutralize Key last season (i.e., by forcing her to guard on the perimeter).

But in Kellie's scheme, 3 pt shots are supplemental and something that the team "settles for." And so, once the LVs miss a few early ones, they get gun shy quickly and continue in the old skool pound the paint game. That strategy made life fairly easy for VT. If they had been chasing the LVs around the perimeter all game, their six player rotation would have faded down the stretch.

This is one of those "Change" things everyone has asked/bitched about...The game has grwon to where you have to have an outside the arc game, not only from your long range bomber, but for a stretch-forward also

i think she gives it another year because she needs a summer of being a LV and getting up to par. But if she leaves then bless her on her next step and it opens the door for someone else to walk through.

My point still stands and I want those things. If she becomes that person (she very well could be that person that fits that role but just as tess had to improve so does she) so be it. If not then we gotta get it. Because we saw what happens when we have productive people on the floor. PERIOD.
put yourself into her shoes.she got virtually no time on the floor except for "garbage time" or "looking for a spark" time
Consider next year (Tess is returning)
Do you really think she thinks is anything will change?
Given the coach's credo about lot not liking change
Nope
If Justine leaves, it will not be bc she wanted to go, it will be bc she has to or sit another season wasting away the cannon that is in her arsenal.

Just some random thoughts while running. Currently, there are 351 Division 1 Universities that have women's basketball programs. Our ladies made the sweet sixteen. 335 schools did not. That is a significant accomplishment. Did it meet expectations? Every fan has their own expectations, so that is hard to measure.
Do we want more? I do!

Virginia Tech had a solid team. Amoore is a great player. Virginia Tech's coach Kenny Brooks saw Amoore ( who is Australian) play at a Federation of International Basketball (FIBA) event in Belarus. Amoore who is only a sophmore credits Brooks with her development especially her beautiful jab-step dribble through the legs step- back jump shot. The shot is unguardable.

When I say we need a point guard, who can get to the rim and finish in traffic, I mean we need an Amoore type point guard. When Amoore uses the jab steps her defender must honor that move and retreat or get beat. If you don't retreat and continue to "hug-up" (we rarely hug-up on anyone) she will go by you and score at the rim in traffic. Sadly we don't have anyone with that skill set. If we can't recruit this type player we need to develop it. Guards who are spot up shooters will struggle in the SEC because of size and length.

I think Jordan returns. If not, I wish her well. If she does return she must develop a consistent three point shot. Her handle must get better as well. But because of her size, she will always be vulnerable to smaller players causing her to turn the ball over. That's why we need a point guard who can score and distribute and take the ball handling pressure off of Horston.

No disagreement about upgrade guards but in this game, the LVs had a grand total of 4 points from Striplin, Franklin, and Hollingshead (with Jill providing all four). That production level is insanely bad even against Kitley.

We are not talking rocket science. Karo took 2 threes all game. She needed to shoot more and of course make some. It is no secret when an opposing team has a big post, you can imbalance their defensive sets by having your post hit outside shots. That is exactly how opposing teams started to neutralize Key last season (i.e., by forcing her to guard on the perimeter).

Tennessee had a lot of empty possessions trying to pound it into the paint so trying to stretch the floor with outside shots would not have altered things very much even if they had misses (and maybe they would have won some of the long rebounds).

Roster for next season will be set on May 13th unless we get a Grad Transfer later than that date which I am not expecting since we will have several seniors coming back. If we can't develop a well rounded offense where other players are not afraid to take open shots then we'll always suffer big turnover numbers. Of course they have to be able to make a decent percentage and I am still waiting for several players to develop that consistency. If we had someone that was able to defend a 5'6" guard we may have won even on a bad shooting day.

Roster for next season will be set on May 13th unless we get a Grad Transfer later than that date which I am not expecting since we will have several seniors coming back. If we can't develop a well rounded offense where other players are not afraid to take open shots then we'll always suffer big turnover numbers. Of course they have to be able to make a decent percentage and I am still waiting for several players to develop that consistency. If we had someone that was able to defend a 5'6" guard we may have won even on a bad shooting day.

Might have been the game to have Miles man-mark Amoore.

VN Store

Back