Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

TN: 74
VT: 58

Keeping VT under 60 will be huge. I don’t think they have anyone who can guard both Horston and Jackson. Tess Darby spotting up for 3s. Stripling and Puckett shooting 3s, and what about Franklin down low, with the uprising Hollingshead extended her play to the 3 point shot.
Kitley won’t know which way to turn…

Kitley won’t know which way to turn…

I agree after watching the replay (VT vs SDKST). Nothing jumps out at me about VT except they had a hot shooting night from the 3. Had it not been for their hot start in the first half, this game would've been closer. They scored 46 1st half pts vs 26 2nd half. (12/30 on 3-pointers)

My keys to winning the game vs Vtech:
1. Stay physical! And get to the foul line!
2. make at least 5 (3 pointers). Had we shot better from 3 in the first game against VTech, we would've won. TD and SP scored 4 pts
combined.
3. Repeat the defensive mindset from the first two rounds
4. Guard the 3pt line!

I just feel that we have a more talented team. JMO. Go LadyVols!

Well, the tv media is likely drooling at the regional final prospect. Assuming that CONN wins their semi as expected, the final will feature either Fudd & Edwards vs. Amoore & Kitley OR a clash between the two historically-best programs. At stake: CONN's Final Four streak vs. TENN first FF berth in 15 years. And, of course, for any of the three schools, a chance at a championship.

Then again, Ohio State might just spoil the final matchup plan

Well, the tv media is likely drooling at the regional final prospect. Assuming that CONN wins their semi as expected, the final will feature either Fudd & Edwards vs. Amoore & Kitley OR a clash between the two historically-best programs. At stake: CONN's Final Four streak vs. TENN first FF berth in 15 years. And, of course, for any of the three schools, a chance at a championship.

Then again, Ohio State might just spoil the final matchup plan
Intrigue! Go ahead, OSU. Bounce the Huskies. I’ll allow it…

Redemption feeds the soul way more than revenge. If they win some of these second chance games, I am imagining the joy in the faces and in their interactions rather than flipping the bird at their opponent (though I have been tempted to do so a couple of times against UCONN :p).

Redemption feeds the soul way more than revenge. If they win some of these second chance games, I am imagining the joy in the faces and in their interactions rather than flipping the bird at their opponent (though I have been tempted to do so a couple of times against UCONN :p).

Exactly. It's not as much beating the opponent as it is the team winning together, redeeming each other. 🧡

Somebody else calls it “The Redemption Tour,” and that seems more fitting. 🧡
Exactly. It's not as much beating the opponent as it is the team winning together, redeeming each other. 🧡
I'll take credit for the Redemption Rebrand. "Revenge" seems kinda High School Harry and beneath us. Losing to these teams was more about what was going on with us than something they did to us. I want to see our team build on the current momentuem and complete the mission of being the team everyone thought they could be.

Again the pundits pick the Lady Vols to fall short, this time against VaTech. I know many might believe that the Ladies were lucky to get out of Knoxville, and maybe they were, however, they left no doubt in their last two victories. Well VaTech did not run them out of the gym against a squad that did not have Jackson. The Lady Vols are a different team now and a lot more aggressive. I believe it will be a close game, however the Lady Vols will prevail. Go Lady Vols!!!

I'll take credit for the Redemption Rebrand. "Revenge" seems kinda High School Harry and beneath us. Losing to these teams was more about what was going on with us than something they did to us. I want to see our team build on the current momentuem and complete the mission of being the team everyone thought they could be.

I remember now that it was you who first renamed it. I have nothing against any of the teams who beat us along the way because, like you said, the losses were a matter of not finding our chemistry, so there's nothing to avenge. It's all on Tennessee, and I believe they know that.

Reactions: glv98
Should hope to work the slight of frame Kitley with the 3 physical centers the LVs have. They should be able to wear her down by midway through the 3rd.

Can the LVs contain Amoore tho? She’s 5’6 and really likes that step back 3. Will the length of Horston be enough to block her early on. I recall the LVs playing a Griner led Baylor when she blocked Taber Spani on an apparently open step-back 3. It seemed to completely take the wind outta the sails of the LVs. Could Horston overwhelm the 5’6 Amoore? Let’s hope so!

I hope the ladies watched and learn from the fellas game tonight.
!!! if you have a decent lead, keep your foot on the gas!!! The LadyVols did a great job of this the last two games played.
Also, if you’re down to the higher seed, keep punching back! It’s MarchMadness, anything can happen!

Last edited:
When we played VT before, we shot poorly, the only one with a good shooting percentage was Tamari. We got more rebounds, but couldn’t score. VT made 9 3’s, we made 2.

We can call it the ‘we can beat you now’ tour, whatever, and VT is a better team now, but we are surely a much better team now than we were then. We’ll need to play suffocating defense, and make our shots, which includes layups And 3’s.

Easy to see:
Women's Basketball vs Virginia Tech on 12/4/2022 - Box Score - University of Tennessee Athletics

How about Better Than Before.

GLV!

When we played VT before, we shot poorly, the only one with a good shooting percentage was Tamari. We got more rebounds, but couldn’t score. VT made 9 3’s, we made 2.

We can call it the ‘we can beat you now’ tour, whatever, and VT is a better team now, but we are surely a much better team now than we were then. We’ll need to play suffocating defense, and make our shots, which includes layups And 3’s.

Easy to see:
Women's Basketball vs Virginia Tech on 12/4/2022 - Box Score - University of Tennessee Athletics

How about Better Than Before.

GLV!
and Key had blood clots and not playing to her potential. The team on the floor now is much better then the one we had back then. (and no Ms. Jackson)

and Key had blood clots and not playing to her potential. The team on the floor now is much better then the one we had back then. (and no Ms. Jackson)
Tamari still had 3 blocks in that game, 7 Rebounds and 11 points. Kitly has not played well against Tamari in either matchup over the last couple years due to Tamari size and length i'm sure. Hopefully Jill & Karoline are physical enough to force her out of the paint and force her to have to make contested Jump shots.

I usually have very little faith in the LVs come tourney time but I genuinely think we have a better shot than not to win this.

Don’t know that we will get further if UCONN is the next opponent but would love to see us back in the E8

Rick let a 12-2 run take away his chance,,,Time out
when will they learn that a timeout is a weapon not a weakness

VN Store

Back