Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Gotta shout out Powell for a minute. She has really elevated her play of late. You would think Walker would be way ahead as far as PG stats but in reality it’s Walker 118 A to 66 TO 1.78 ATO and Powell 113 A to 56 TO 2.02 ATO.

Walker gets more minutes due to her defense, board play and leadership. Powell sticks around she’s going to be a really big piece for us next season. She really is a great player, just in a much tougher league and had a tough time adjusting. A game like VaTech is a good matchup for her. Not nearly as physical as any of the teams in the SEC.

ESPN “notable stars” and no mention of Jackson or Horston. If any team should have a reason to play with a chip on their shoulder, it’s us. Disrespect all the time.

Mowins and Antonelli are the worst. They sound like half a brain trying to find the other two thirds.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hope our game is like this ND/Maryland game. Close for a couple quarters and then we pull away and control things. Hopefully bodes well for us.

All the games yesterday were super close. Maybe today they will all be comfortable. Seems like that happens a lot in the NCAA tourney.

VA Tech is the softest 1 seed in the history of the women’s tournament. We should win. We have the better talent.

Might come down to which version of Horston shows up and 3 point shooting for both teams. I really like how Horston pulls and takes the jumper instead trying to do too much and turning it over or charging.

VA Tech is the softest 1 seed in the history of the women’s tournament. We should win. We have the better talent.

I would agree, but I'd also say that UConn this year is maybe the best #2 seed in the history of the women’s tournament.

???

They are 29-4 and have won 13 in a row, 7 of which were against NET top 25 teams (plus Miami, who is now in the Elite 8).

I do think we'll win, but should win? Va. Tech earned a number 1 seed for a reason. And they have the same number of Hoopgurlz 5-star players as we do (Horston, Jackson, and Pissott vs. Kitley, Owusu, and Traylor). Plus, they have Amoore - I'm not sure how she was rated among the top international recuits.

Reactions: volfan__18
The tournament literally started 2 games ago, but this game is, I'm going to say, "season-defining". Win it and the season is a success, lose it and the season is a bit disappointing.
Agree, win it and it’s the turn to a nice season turnaround. Lose it and overall not much changed from last year. Except start to finish.

Disagree on when it starts as minimum expectation is to be playing in SS.

thats pretty defence by buckeyes. may not last thats how you play no wrestling or geting help from refs win were evevrybody agrees you won 100% on your own.

Reactions: VolBall09
???

They are 29-4 and have won 13 in a row, 7 of which were against NET top 25 teams (plus Miami, who is now in the Elite 8).

I do think we'll win, but should win? Va. Tech earned a number 1 seed for a reason. And they have the same number of Hoopgurlz 5-star players as we do (Horston, Jackson, and Pissott vs. Kitley, Owusu, and Traylor). Plus, they have Amoore - I'm not sure how she was rated among the top international recuits.
zakly

???

Excellent points but likely offered in a futile quest. If the LVs were to shock the world by winning the NC, you can bet the usual suspecst will proclaim that this year is the weakest NCAA women's field in history and further explain that all the other ranked teams had zero talented player on their rosters, so no big deal that the LVs won the NC--they just did what they were supposed to do. Then, these poster will inform us that the 2023 NCAA tournament really does not start until they beat a "good" team in the 2024 tournament.

Heck, if the LVs begin next season ranked #1, hold that rank all season, and finished as the undefeated NC, these same posters would be quick to point out that the LVs never beat a higher ranked opponent over the course of the season, so no credit is due.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back