Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

The super tough schedule is a Pat Summitt hallmark. Not saying it is right or wrong but that is where it came from and back in the day even the legend would get criticised for playing too hard of schedule in comparison to say Uconn who feasted on cupcakes for their early season.

One of those early season losses should have been a win if not for a phantom travel call on Jordan and the whole suspension with Rickea probably cost at least one more win. In other words, it could have easily worked out better.

But, if those losses give the LVs a chip on the shoulder and they spank VT and Uconn (Or OSU) in revenge matches, Kellie would be looking pretty golden. In other words, the postmortem on this season still awaits the end results.
Pat Summitt once said who ever made this schedule should be fired. Then she said I made this schedule. As always go Lady Vol's.

Don’t like getting ahead of myself (lies) but if, IF, the Lady Vols somehow make the Final Four there isn’t a team left in LSU’s bracket we can’t beat. We already know we can beat them and have. I suspect they will beat Utah and likely Villanova en route to the Final Four.

Biggest hang-up for us would be in the Elite Eight against UCONN if we beat VaTech like I know we can.

UCONN may get their monies worth from Ohio State if Ohio State can find ways to score and set that press. It’s so frustrating for teams. If we played them for some reason we would have the advantage of having seen it already.

That’s about the only way you can beat UCONN most of the time, you have to turn them over to get easy scores, hit threes and keep them out of their offense. If Ohio State can get hot from 3 early and turn them over a few times it will be interesting. If they’re cold and can not get in their press they will be cooked.
If Ohio State makes it a priority to take the ball out of Nika Muhls hands early and often, that game could be very interesting. Uconn's overall ball security is sketchy this season, especially for them and I am sure that has to do with so many players being in and out of the lineup, but, with the way Ohio State is pressuring the ball this year, they should be able to turn Uconn over. That is going to be a great game to watch.

I gotta say I was wrong in the early part of the season to be so critical of Harper's coaching. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to integrate new players into the culture and the basketball style of play as it apparently is. About mid-season, I began to realize the start of the season really didn't matter, it was how we were gonna finish. Because recruits are gonna look mostly at how we do in the ncaa tourney, not the SEC or the win/loss columns. Sure enough, Kellie brought this team around, and they improved so much they beat LSU and have dominated their bracket in the first two rounds. As I watched them dispatch St Louis and especially Toledo, I was impressed by how far they have come this season and how much some of the players have improved. I'm very confident we will defeat VT and give UConn everything they will not want. A season plan well played, Kellie.
I don’t think you or anyone was wrong about the beginning of the season. Or the stretch that got us 1 Top 25 victory…big win against LSU and has carried momentum into the tournament. They did what they were supposed to do in the first two rounds and as it’s been said before Tennessee is expected to get to the SS as a minimum. Tournament for us starts Saturday.

One of the seasons I’m glad the bench had such a good showing in the first two rounds. We are deeper than they are at every position.

If we can get Amoore in a little foul trouble they would be in trouble. She runs the team about 95% of the time.

VT only plays 7 players not a deep bench at all TN has the edge in this game to me

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The key is Walker and Powell need to just be solid in the backcourt, know they will be.

They have both improved so much this season. Walker has really impressed me. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks, but she has found a newer, higher ceiling for herself. That speaks of character to keep pushing through on improving her game. It's a total devotion to team first. And Powell seemed like a completely different player in that Toledo game. If she comes back next year, I think we'll be fine at the PG position. I'm crossing fingers hoping she does. In effect, with their improvements, we have two new and improved point guards for the tournament run.

I don’t think you or anyone was wrong about the beginning of the season. Or the stretch that got us 1 Top 25 victory…big win against LSU and has carried momentum into the tournament. They did what they were supposed to do in the first two rounds and as it’s been said before Tennessee is expected to get to the SS as a minimum. Tournament for us starts Saturday.

Tell that to Indiana, Stanford or Iowa State. The freakin' tournament starts at round 1. Sorry, your "we only did what we were supposed to do" reflex does not play in this context.

Tell that to Indiana, Stanford or Iowa State. The freakin' tournament starts at round 1. Sorry, your "we only did what we were supposed to do" reflex does not play in this context.
Actually it does. We did what we were supposed to do against St. Louis and Toledo. I stated, our tournament starts Saturday. Good news for you, we did what we were supposed to do, bad news for those “what about” is their season is over. Slight flex of knocking off inferior teams.

Reactions: Voluble2
I’m so glad I blocked him😂😂😂😂😂😂
Come on! Thought we had a moment with Cubans in Miami? The worlds a better place when differing views are tolerated. Glad you still see my post though, I personally don’t subscribe to the “block” method.

Last edited:
One of the seasons I’m glad the bench had such a good showing in the first two rounds. We are deeper than they are at every position.

If we can get Amoore in a little foul trouble they would be in trouble. She runs the team about 95% of the time.
We have to hope we get her 4 for 18 game instead of her 12 for 18. She can really get going and if that happens were probably going to lose. She hits them from long distance can be streaky, but our luck she won't miss.

Whomever it is must be someone I've got blocked, too, 'cause I can't see who is being responded to. And I like it that way. I have quite a few blocked, and I wish one particular poster would block ME because I appear to irritate the hell out of him. 🤣
Strong Flex…you don’t irritate me

Actually it does. We did what we were supposed to do against St. Louis and Toledo. I stated, our tournament starts Saturday. Good news for you, we did what we were supposed to do, bad news for those “what about” is their season is over. Slight flex of knocking off inferior teams.
Hope we win, but it will have nothing to do with what happens if we lose. Looks like Kellie Harper is going to be extended to four or five seasons just for making the sweet sixteen. If we win the next game or even get to the final four think it will still be the same not different extended to five seasons.

Reactions: Majors
Doing what we're supposed to do feels so much better after years of not doing what we were supposed. In fact, we only had one didn't do what we're supposed to moment and that was double overtime at dang Miss State. Been a long time since that has happened.

Now to move beyond supposed to do.

Hope we win, but it will have nothing to do with what happens if we lose. Looks like Kellie Harper is going to be extended to four or five seasons just for making the sweet sixteen. If we win the next game or even get to the final four think it will still be the same not different extended to five seasons.
Not getting bounced in the first two games pretty much assured next season. Believe we all want TN to win and I’d love to be wrong about CKH, get to the F4 and I’d have no issue saying as much…get bounced Saturday and nothing changed.

Not getting bounced in the first two games pretty much assured next season. Believe we all want TN to win and I’d love to be wrong about CKH, get to the F4 and I’d have no issue saying as much…get bounced Saturday and nothing changed.
Nothing changed for you, but it has already changed as far as her contract extension.

Doing what we're supposed to do feels so much better after years of not doing what we were supposed. In fact, we only had one didn't do what we're supposed to moment and that was double overtime at dang Miss State. Been a long time since that has happened.

Now to move beyond supposed to do.
Agree somewhat…I would side that we didn’t do that at the start of the season. Should have won a few of those games we dropped. Winning games we lost last year, I agree.

Whomever it is must be someone I've got blocked, too, 'cause I can't see who is being responded to. And I like it that way. I have quite a few blocked, and I wish one particular poster would block ME because I appear to irritate the hell out of him. 🤣
I just have two blocked but it has made all the difference!😆😆😆😆

Woke-up at 4 this morning. To support Rickea's NIL deal, drank a 12 ounce Celsius (LIVE FIT) energy drink.
Then I fed the chickens and gathered the eggs, milked the cows (by hand), slopped the hogs, tuned up the tractor, sharpened two plows, washed and waxed two cars and a truck, cut the hay and put it in the corn crib, picked the corn and put it in the hay loft, mowed my lawn, edged, and planted my garden. As the brilliant orange orb rose in the east, I thought it's great to be a Tennessee Vol...
Then (based on the incredible energy our Iadies have shown the last two games) I wondered if they have discovered Rickea's stash (lifetime supply of Celcius).
What ever it is ...keep doing it!

Last edited:
Woke-up at 4 this morning. To support Rickea's NIL deal, drank a 12 ounce Celsius (LIVE FIT) energy drink.
Then I fed the chickens and gathered the eggs, milked the cows (by hand), slopped the hogs, tuned up the tractor, sharpened two plows, washed and waxed two cars and a truck, cut the hay and put it in the corn crib, picked the corn and put it in the hay loft, mowed my lawn, edged, and planted my garden. As the brilliant orange orb rose in the east, I thought it's great to be Tennessee Vol...
Then (based on the incredible energy our Iadies have shown the last two games) I wondered if they have discovered Rickea's stash (lifetime supply of Celcius).
What ever it is ...keep doing it!

5ff1b871a7e2c65ea0780323cee66dcc.jpg

VN Store

Back