Game Thread: (20/22) Lady Vols vs. Ole Miss

Maybe it's because it's late, but it looks we won most of the categories and the winning margin should have been larger. They hit 6 threes to our 2 for an extra four points, but we hit 9 more free throws. They had more shot attempts than us and made two more, but we hit a slightly higher percentage. We had almost twice the assists, outrebounded them handily, and only had two more turnovers.

I guess it seems strange that we got off less shots despite a healthy rebounding edge when the turnovers were about even.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
This team needs a coach who can the most from the team every game!!

AAAARRGH! We have such a coach. Sometimes you have to give an opponent credit. Ole Miss played a hell of a game. They brought incredible defensive pressure and their new set of go to players hit clutch shots. The LVs made mistakes in the first but Ole Miss forced a lot of those errors. Per the ole cliche, Ole Miss played a lot a much higher level than their conference record would suggest.

I see a lot of positives in the LVs battling back from a double digit deficit.

Maybe it's because it's late, but it looks we won most of the categories and the winning margin should have been larger. They hit 6 threes to our 2 for an extra four points, but we hit 9 more free throws. They had more shot attempts than us and made two more, but we hit a slightly higher average. We had almost twice the assists, outrebounded them handily, and only had two more turnovers.

I guess it seems strange that we got off less shots despite a healthy rebounding edge when the turnovers were about even.

6 to 2 deficit on three shooting is a difference of 18 to 6 or a 12 point differential and that explains a lot in terms of the score line.

This 3-point shooting deficit is a problem. The LVs need more 3 point shooting or it is just too easy for teams to pack the paint and create TO situations.

Last edited:
lmfaaaooooooo TK and Jordan are roommates and are very close sure it may look like they dont enjoy the head slap but they know she is just excited and has become a celebratory habit of hers..y'all just lookin for anythin bad to say about Jordan
I don’t understand the JH hate? She’s a good kid, looks like a great teammate, with a great family. Folks, please remember her and TK are just sophomores. Geez!

Can this be the point guard rotation now? For the love of all that is holy?
Continuing to have JH as primary ballhandler almost seems cruel at this point. Both to her and to us. It's not just the turnovers, the offense seems to stagnate when JH is at point bc she dribbles way, way too much and ball and player movement disappears as a result.. If Marta is out, there is zero reason not to move JH to 2. Jordan's 13 pts were obviously crucial and she had her best shooting night of the season including 2 huge fts late. Scoring and rebounding is how she can help us..

This is in no way "hate" towards the player; in my case its the opposite. This player is too valuable to keep asking her to play out of position and to her weaknesses. We need her to build her confidence, not erode it.

The head slapping they can work out amongst themselves.
This team needs a coach who can the most from the team every game!!
All teams need this coach. Plus the player who never misses a shot, never makes a t.o., and "steps up" and "takes over" every single time the team needs it. Unfortunately we live in the real world where almost no one is capable of this. It's always the goal, obviously, and when it doesn't happen, its not because coach or players don't "want it". It's because humans sometimes succeed and sometimes fail. It's what makes it a game.

Last edited:
Turnovers....just guessing. Didn't see the first couple of minutes but somebody contributed to an early 7-0 turnover differential....I'm assuming Marta was a big part of that.

It had 0 to do with that. She was out of the game the first whistle and was definitely limping. Later she came back out in a boot.

Edit: In the post game Harper said she has a foot injury and does not know her status. They held her out of practice the last few days. She apparently didn’t feel like she could go against Ole Miss. Doesn't sound like it will keep her out long term.

Last edited:
Marta seemed to be walking gingerly. Hope it's not a serious injury. Destiny Salary filled in admirably and made a strong case for much more playing time, even when Marta returns. The LadyVols were very fortunate to win this game against a much improved Ole Miss team. I'm very glad we don't have to play them twice during the regular season. One other comment regarding Horston. She has a very bad habit of slapping her teammates in the head after they make a good play. Next time this happens I hope they rare back and slap her back just as hard so she will know how it feels. There's no excuse for such behavior and it needs to stop. She's taking team camaraderie way too far. It's obvious the other players don't appreciate it, such as Tamari and Destiny.

Actually think Coach Harper needs to sit her down in her office and let her know she should NEVER do that again. I don’t care how funny she thinks it is, it’s disrespectful to her teammates and they don’t appear to appreciate it. She hits people hard enough that if they have had concussions in the past or something it could cause an issue. It looks immature.

Actually think Coach Harper needs to sit her down in her office and let her know she should NEVER do that again. I don’t care how funny she thinks it is, it’s disrespectful to her teammates and they don’t appear to appreciate it. She hits people hard enough that if they have had concussions in the past or something it could cause an issue. It looks immature.
The head slapping critique has nothing to do with "hating" on Jordan. It has to do with common sense with what we know about CTE. Small increments add up over time. It also annoys her teammates from the look on their faces when she does it. I appreciate the enthusiasm but she needs to find a different way to express it.

You can hold the Lady Vols to any standard you want to but any team is going to have inconsistent play several games through a season. You just hope you can win some of those games and of course the ones where you play well. There isn't a team in WCCB that hasn't played inconsistent this season or will continue to do so in some games going forward. Even Louisville the only undefeated have been in games where they were very close to losing. They were a free throw away from losing to UT Martin last season as the girl missed it and sent the game to overtime. The new WCCB is now where you can lose to any given team on any given night. So anyone expecting perfection or not to lose some games probably is going to be disappointed.

You can hold the Lady Vols to any standard you want to but any team is going to have inconsistent play several games through a season. You just hope you can win some of those games and of course the ones where you play well. There isn't a team in WCCB that hasn't played inconsistent this season or will continue to do so in some games going forward. Even Louisville the only undefeated have been in games where they were very close to losing. They were a free throw away from losing to UT Martin last season as the girl missed it and sent the game to overtime. The new WCCB is now where you can lose to any given team on any given night. So anyone expecting perfection or not to lose some games probably is going to be disappointed.

People forget Pat’s teams had games like this too. Often times we had several close calls but would usually pull out a victory. The win in this game is the difference between this season and the last 4 seasons. A couple seasons ago this would have been a double digit loss if we started the game like that. If Holly was down 10 after the first it was over. The players did not respond to her in game coaching so we were doomed anytime we showed up with low energy and got in a hole.

We didn’t play our best game last night but the team did respond. Sucked it up and gutted out a win. Hit our free throws and coach drew up some great plays down the stretch. Salary was huge, especially in the first/third quarters. We needed someone to come in and be aggressive to the basket and she did that. We couldn’t get anything going in the post.

Credit to Ole Miss as well. They honestly played one of their best games of the season. Austin looked great and was really a problem for us until she got tired. Second half a lot of her shots came up short. They were hitting really tough pull up 3s all game and executing defensively. They are going to beat some teams in the SEC.

Last edited:
There is no way Kellie is gonna call Jordan to her office over some celebratory head slaps okay it isnt even a big deal. Kellie has bigger issues to deal with like who the hell is gonna fill Marta's spot with Keyen and Jaiden out with injury and a long 1st week of February schedule ahead.

Jordan receives too much hate on this board...its one thing to critique her play but another thing to critique how she celebrates with her team...If her teammates didnt like it I assure you they would have told her ...y'all need to stop trying to speak for them.

The head slapping critique has nothing to do with "hating" on Jordan. It has to do with common sense with what we know about CTE. Small increments add up over time. It also annoys her teammates from the look on their faces when she does it. I appreciate the enthusiasm but she needs to find a different way to express it.

I used to think the butt-slapping was over the top (no pun), but never heard of butt concussions, so maybe we should return to that. Or high or low fives, fist bombs, toodle-doos, whatever.

Not a big fan of the chest bumps, either. I seem to remember a player getting knocked off balance and being injured in the resulting fall, but that might gave been a football player.

There is no way Kellie is gonna call Jordan to her office over some celebratory head slaps okay it isnt even a big deal. Kellie has bigger issues to deal with like who the hell is gonna fill Marta's spot with Keyen and Jaiden out with injury and a long 1st week of February schedule ahead.
You can downplay the head slaps all you want, but you need to go study the cause and effects of CTE before deciding "it isn't a big deal". It is a big deal and the danger is real whether you want to believe it or not. I don't care which player is doing it. It needs to STOP now.

Reactions: T.J. and jeebie
You can downplay the head slaps all you want, but you need to go study the cause and effects of CTE before deciding "it isn't a big deal". It is a big deal and the danger is real whether you want to believe it or not. I don't care which player is doing it. It needs to STOP now.
y'all are crazy

Reactions: Bret178
You are probably right about Pat but this OM team hit about 7 layups in the first 18 points due to turnovers and lack of focus. I quit counting after that but it was more!
People forget Pat’s teams had games like this too. Often times we had several close calls but would usually pull out a victory. The win in this game is the difference between this season and the last 4 seasons. A couple seasons ago this would have been a double digit loss if we started the game like that. If Holly was down 10 after the first it was over. The players did not respond to her in game coaching so we were doomed anytime we showed up with low energy and got in a hole.

We didn’t play our best game last night but the team did respond. Sucked it up and gutted out a win. Hit our free throws and coach drew up some great plays down the stretch. Salary was huge, especially in the first/third quarters. We needed someone to come in and be aggressive to the basket and she did that. We couldn’t get anything going in the post.

Credit to Ole Miss as well. They honestly played one of their best games of the season. Austin looked great and was really a problem for us until she got tired. Second half a lot of her shots came up short. They were hitting really tough pull up 3s all game and executing defensively. They are going to beat some teams in the SEC.

Reactions: alexvol
You are probably right about Pat but this OM team hit about 7 layups in the first 18 points due to turnovers and lack of focus. I quit counting after that but it was more!

Yep. I couldn’t watch. Kept watching Arkansas/UCONN and muted our game until we woke up. Distinctly recall some slow starts in Pat’s day. It wasn’t as concerning then because we all knew she’d sort them out. We lost confidence during the previous administration. Kellie is starting to soften the fan base though.

If we had not improved at all we could very easily have been 0-6 in SEC play at this point looking at the teams we’ve played and our close games. 5-1 feels so much better.

y'all are crazy

For me it’s primarily about respect. If her teammates seemed to love it, I’d be all for it. That’s not the case though. Tamari and Destiny both wince and roll their eyes every time she does it. Disrespectful and tone deaf to continue doing that when it’s not pumping your teammates up.

And I’m not saying Coach needs to have a conversation with her about it. I’m saying she needs to ask her to come to her office. Have her sit. Give her the look and say “I don’t ever want to see you smack one of your teammates on the head again.” Period. End of story. Then send her on out.

For me it’s primarily about respect. If her teammates seemed to love it, I’d be all for it. That’s not the case though. Tamari and Destiny both wince and roll their eyes every time she does it. Disrespectful and tone deaf to continue doing that when it’s not pumping your teammates up.

And I’m not saying Coach needs to have a conversation with her about it. I’m saying she needs to ask her to come to her office. Have her sit. Give her the look and say “I don’t ever want to see you smack one of your teammates on the head again.” Period. End of story. Then send her on out.
All they have to do is get together and tell her to stop. It doesn't have to be the coach the players need to have thin skin and tell other players anything they don't care for or dislike. This is not a difficult thing to do you have to speak up.

VN Store

Back