Game Thread: (19/12) Lady Vols vs. Georgia College (EXH)

She added a lot of talented players, but she didn’t balance her roster very well. They are very guard heavy. Showed in their rebounding in the exhibition. They only out rebounded Wingate by 4, 38-34. That will be an issue for them as the season progresses.

I think they’re gonna look a lot like Mike Neighbors teams at Arkansas.
It will be interesting to see if two of Duke's guards who are in inefficent,volume shooters in Lexi Gordon and Celeste Taylor are who both shot under .300 from 3pt range can improve on that.

It will be interesting to see if two of Duke's guards who are in inefficent,volume shooters in Lexi Gordon and Celeste Taylor are who both shot under .300 from 3pt range can improve on that.
I would take the Celeste Taylor I saw play against Maryland last year in the Tournament any day of the week. She was tough and gritty and played an amazing game. 15 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
How many games has Kara won as an NCAA coach?
Not too many yet; 4 I think lol. That is gonna change in a big hurry this year with the roster she has. No doubt in my mind and there is no way Notre Dame finishes above Duke in the standings in the ACC with the roster Kara has. They outmatch most opponents talent-wise in the ACC.

Reactions: Lucy
Kara is going to be a great collegiate coach. I expect her to surpass Notre Dame within four years.
Kara and Kellie will be slugging it for natties one day. I will obviously be rooting for Kellie and the Lady Vols but will always support and be proud of Kara. She is a wonderful representative of UT and Pat Summit.

Duke won their exhibition game by 36 points. I don't know the ability of their opponent but they limited Duke to 63 possessions on which they scored 86 points. That is a great points to possessions ratio but they will need more possessions that 63 to be a top team in the ACC.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Duke won their exhibition game by 36 points. I don't know the ability of their opponent but they limited Duke to 63 possessions on which they scored 86 points. That is a great points to possessions ratio but they will need more possessions that 63 to be a top team in the ACC.

Only 8 offensive rebounds for Duke and 10 for Wingate. Rebounding is going to be an issue. They need their bigs to rebound much more aggressively.

Only 8 offensive rebounds for Duke and 10 for Wingate. Rebounding is going to be an issue. They need their bigs to rebound much more aggressively.
Our first half board play in our game was quite terrible, but in the second half we totally dominated offensive and overall rebounding. We had 88 possessions in that game which is something you strive for have to think it was the opponent. I don't expect us to lose many games where we get 88 possessions that is a total where you can shoot 40 percent and still score close to 80 points.

I don't think the number of possessions has a lot of bearing on win/lose as the opponent gets one every time you do. The only real effect is comfort level with pace of play as some teams like to play half-court and some like to run. I think the LV's will want to press & run this year due to their depth.

I don't think the number of possessions has a lot of bearing on win/lose as the opponent gets one every time you do. The only real effect is comfort level with pace of play as some teams like to play half-court and some like to run. I think the LV's will want to press & run this year due to their depth.

I hope they do, utilize presses. TN has always had excellent trapping guards and forwards on their presses....this year they have deeper speed.

Myself, I like to run a half-court 3-1-1 press. I string 3 about 6 feet from halfcourt and tel them once the ball crosses attack ( 2 0n ball and one in the passing lane). DO NOT attack them in their court bc they can reverse the ball, wait unti they have to cross. Once one step over HC and reversing is not an option

Coach Kellie’s after game comments on Sara:

On Sarah Puckett and her late play…
"She does so many things well that you don't think twice of. She can make routine plays better than anybody. She doesn't overcomplicate things. She didn't shoot it as well, and she didn't finish some layups. She's going to finish those I am not worried about that, but she's got all the skillset. Part of it is innate for sure, but part of it is she has worked really hard on her game. Before she got here, since she's been here, being good is important to her. She really puts in the time and the effort. For her coming out of this game, one of the things I am going to stress to her is she is really good. I don't know if the stat sheet reads that way or not, but she's really good. I'm proud of her, and I have a lot of confidence in her."

Love the way Kellie coaches.

GO SARA AND GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
Coach Kellie’s after game comments on Sara:

On Sarah Puckett and her late play…
"She does so many things well that you don't think twice of. She can make routine plays better than anybody. She doesn't overcomplicate things. She didn't shoot it as well, and she didn't finish some layups. She's going to finish those I am not worried about that, but she's got all the skillset. Part of it is innate for sure, but part of it is she has worked really hard on her game. Before she got here, since she's been here, being good is important to her. She really puts in the time and the effort. For her coming out of this game, one of the things I am going to stress to her is she is really good. I don't know if the stat sheet reads that way or not, but she's really good. I'm proud of her, and I have a lot of confidence in her."

GO SARA AND GO LADY VOLS!

Yep. If you watch that game she did a lot of really good things, especially rebounding. She seemed more comfortable on offense than defense, but that will come in time. I was impressed with her floor game, and I was also impressed with ALL the fresmen.

Yep. If you watch that game she did a lot of really good things, especially rebounding. She seemed more comfortable on offense than defense, but that will come in time. I was impressed with her floor game, and I was also impressed with ALL the fresmen.

Yes, look forward to watching the whole team improve with each game.

I think Brooklyn Surprised me the most. I did not expect a whole lot from her due to her size and ranking, but she played extremely well. 5 steals, 5 assists, really good court vision and man can she get up and down the court in a hurry. Loved how she pushed the ball on the break but was still under control. Her defense was good and she didn't force too much on the offensive end. The kind of speed and ball control she has can really put a lot of pressure on the opponent's defense. I am looking forward to seeing her improvement as the season rolls along.

None, but I sure to expect her to win a lot of them.
Just to clarify, I am a fan of Kara's. It is just that we have one poster who continuously draws an invidious comparison to Kara (a genius great coach!!) versus Kellie (can't recruit, only wins when other teams are having bad days etc.).

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I am fan of Kara's. It is just that we have one poster who continuously draws an invidious comparison to Kara (a genius great coach!!) and Kellie (can't recruit, only wins when other teams are having bad days etc.).
Okay okay, thanks for the clarification. I didn’t catch on to that!

VN Store

Back