Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

MISSISSIPPI STATE

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

Go Lady Vols

Last edited:
Talent on both teams is equal. Coaching and team morale will be the difference here. Tennessee in a landslide. 70-52.

I hope this ages well as I would love a blowout win to get the bench minutes... but Horston is listed day to day and Marta is out indefinitely is 2 big losses for us

I too believe it feels like a 20 point win if they are focused. The Bulldogs are owed for the whoopin's they have put on us the past few years.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Talent on both teams is equal. Coaching and team morale will be the difference here. Tennessee in a landslide. 70-52.

LOL... i love the newly found faith in the coaching staff but i think we will play a hungry team that hasn’t played in a week. I have faith but if we win in a landslide that would hopefully set up a great road trip!

I am also worried about the availability of Jordan Horston and Marta for depth purposes and mismatches. Kasi would have to guard on the perimeter more with Cooks so maybe put Re on her to match up some? i know it’s 6’2” vs 6’4” but if you crowd her space that may help.

I think the LVs pull it out but meet a hungry MSU team. Maybe hit them early and take the winds out of their sails.

If Jordan can play that helps tremendously on the defensive end even with smaller guards... What match ups do you see swaying the game?

I hope that Jackson keeps playing at 1.01 points per shot attempt like she has been all season. She is the key player for them more than any other. If she attempts 20 shots and only scores 20 points off them we'll win the game.

LOL... i love the newly found faith in the coaching staff but i think we will play a hungry team that hasn’t played in a week. I have faith but if we win in a landslide that would hopefully set up a great road trip!

I am also worried about the availability of Jordan Horston and Marta for depth purposes and mismatches. Kasi would have to guard on the perimeter more with Cooks so maybe put Re on her to match up some? i know it’s 6’2” vs 6’4” but if you crowd her space that may help.

I think the LVs pull it out but meet a hungry MSU team. Maybe hit them early and take the winds out of their sails.

If Jordan can play that helps tremendously on the defensive end even with smaller guards... What match ups do you see swaying the game?
This will be another close game ......most all their SEC games will be close .It would be absolutely wonderful if it becomes a blow out but just do not see it .Against SEC foes ,every time they attain double digit leads they have a bunch of live play turnovers for easy layups and hence a scoring drought on offense letting the lesser talented teams back in the mix.

Miss state has some talent and if they get on a hot shooting streak at home can beat Lady Vols.Have to get great post play again to win this game.

MSST is talented 1-9, but it's obvious there is something going on with that program. They do NOT look like they want to be there. If Vic was there, then I'd feel differently about Tennessee's chance. I think NMP has her work cut out for her to get this team back to where they should be.

These are my matchups:

PG: Jordon Horston vs. Myah Taylor: Horston needs to disrupt Taylor's ability to run the offense. She's a smart player, but I think Horston can control her with size. EVEN
SG: Rae Burrell vs. JaMaya Mingo-Young: Mingo-Young is physical, has a nice mid-range shot and a good rebounder as a guard. Rae is all of these things, plus has better size for defense and a reliable outside shot. Big edge to TN
SF: Rennia Davis vs. Rickea Jackson: Similar players with similar strengths. Davis is a better rebounder and is just playing better right now. Rickea has been slow to get into games, and that will cost MSST big. Slight edge to TN
PF: Kasi Kushkituah vs. Sidney Cooks: Cooks is not much of a true post. She prefers to shoot threes, not overly physical and not a great rebounder. She's had 1 game in double figures this season as a starter. Not impressed. Big edge to TN
C: Tamari Key vs. Jessika Carter: You asked which is my key matchup; this is it. Carter is physical, can rebound, can post up, and has a nice 10-15 foot jump shot. She's been pretty consistent all season. I think she's a better player than Key, but can get taken out early because she's foul prone. Slight edge to MSST.

I think the matchups boil down to 1.) Whether Key can control Carter in the post 2.) can MSST's guards provide scoring to free up Carter/Jackson inside. 3.) Can Tennessee get scoring from their "Big 3" (if Horston joins along, MSST has no chance).

If no Horston, I think the PG advantage swings bigly over to MSST. Their bench is also better than Tennessee's. All of this sounds nice, but they have to want to play...and right now it doesn't seem that's the case.

I would like to see Darby get some minutes for offensive spacing purposes. KK has done a great job, but when she it at the 4 and gets the ball at the elbow (which is common in many of our offensive sets) our offense doesn't flow as it should. I expect Suarez to be out for the rest of the year. Sounds like JH could miss some games down the stretch. We can't run a 6 man rotation, especially during this next stretch. Darby is a slight liability on the defensive end, but I think it would be smart to give her some minutes (especially if we are playing zone defense and staying in front of your man isn't as critical). If JH is out, I will be very interested to see what Harper comes up with.

This will be another close game ......most all their SEC games will be close .It would be absolutely wonderful if it becomes a blow out but just do not see it .Against SEC foes ,every time they attain double digit leads they have a bunch of live play turnovers for easy layups and hence a scoring drought on offense letting the lesser talented teams back in the mix.

Miss state has some talent and if they get on a hot shooting streak at home can beat Lady Vols.Have to get great post play again to win this game.

I agree... i think the UK and Ark games spoiled us with keeping large leads lol

I would like to see Darby get some minutes for offensive spacing purposes. KK has done a great job, but when she it at the 4 and gets the ball at the elbow (which is common in many of our offensive sets) our offense doesn't flow as it should. I expect Suarez to be out for the rest of the year. Sounds like JH could miss some games down the stretch. We can't run a 6 man rotation, especially during this next stretch. Darby is a slight liability on the defensive end, but I think it would be smart to give her some minutes (especially if we are playing zone defense and staying in front of your man isn't as critical). If JH is out, I will be very interested to see what Harper comes up with.

I Like tess but i really hope it doesn’t come to that. Horstons aggressiveness on the perimeter and the way she looks for Key is a benefit to this team.

I don’t think Marta will be out the rest of the year I think Jaiden will though. The thing is when Marta comes back will she be able tl
contribute she was seemingly just getting accustomed to the game and game speed starting to make smarter decisions.

Due to a combination of a positive test, contact tracing and subsequent quarantining of individuals within the Tennessee women's basketball program, Thursday's Tennessee at Mississippi State game and the rescheduled Tennessee at Texas A&M game on Sunday have been postponed, consistent with Southeastern Conference COVID-19 management requirements.

Due to a combination of a positive test, contact tracing and subsequent quarantining of individuals within the Tennessee women's basketball program, Thursday's Tennessee at Mississippi State game and the rescheduled Tennessee at Texas A&M game on Sunday have been postponed, consistent with Southeastern Conference COVID-19 management requirements.
That sucks...

yes it does...

I was wondering why the UT HOOPS CENTRAL was not yet posted. They always post it a couple of days before the game which would have been last night.

Last edited:
I doubt if we get back to this game with Miss St unless we reschedule them instead of Texas A&M as not that many open dates left. I think we have a Sunday where we were supposed to play Vandy and so maybe Miss St or schedule A&M again.

VN Store

Back