Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (20/18) Kentucky

I didn’t except to really win this game without Davis and a half injured Marta back, what I am concerned with is the continued poor performance from Horston.

She’s a integral part of our future and I just haven’t seen an improvement from her freshman year. For some reason, our high level recruits never seem to come out the gates like we need them to. I’m hoping she turns it around because the potential is there.

Seriously, I dislike to talk negative about players, but Horston game shocks me a lot because she doesn't play close to #2 recruit at all. Marta came from nowhere and plays far better than her. I advised her mom not to put her self on sports media and constantly fighting people who say negative things. it's wrong but hey, wherever u play sports ppl will talk. I wish her all the best. I kn it's a challenge for Kellie thinking on how to help her.

This game was simple. When we valued the ball, we played great. When we didn't value the ball we got our butts kicked. I think the game may have turned if Darby had hit that 3 from the left wing and if KK hadn't taken second perimeter shot. We will never know but I thought those were momentum killers.

Bad shooting night as point guards go 6 for 23 from the field. It didn't help that KK was 2 for 7 and we had extreme difficulty dealing with pressure on the ball committing numerous turnovers in the second quarter. Tough game all around after another long break due to covid hopefully we can rebound with a better game versus A&M on Sunday.

The TV feed was using the UK Sports Network audio, not sure why they didn't do a full SECN+ production as usual.

The ironic thing is the homer UK announcer is Darren Headrick, a Tennessee grad who will likely replace Mickey whenever he retires here.
I hope to goodness he never replaces Mickey. I had to turn the sound off it was so bad. Dude needs a valium or something before he calls a game.

Reactions: LVol
Walker with 9 rebounds leading the team? That alone should have fans riled up. Of course Key and Kk didn't step up. UK has been average at best the last few games. Howard was straight garbage and UK won by 15. Those recruits better be good coming in next season.
While we certainly kept Howard's scoring under control ( mostly due to Burrell's defense ), she did lead Kentucky in rebounds, assists and had a remarkable 7 steals.

This game was simple. When we valued the ball, we played great. When we didn't value the ball we got our butts kicked. I think the game may have turned if Darby had hit that 3 from the left wing and if KK hadn't taken second perimeter shot. We will never know but I thought those were momentum killers.
We played great in the third quarter. We lost the other 3 quarters by a total of 27 points. A very uneven performance.
Not having Davis available, combined with injuries, left us with few, if any, good choices for substitutions.

I disagree we took the lead in the 3rd, But when KY went zone TN could not can't figure it out.

perfectly called dj....When the zone is a 3 hi-2low, you work it deep, but when it is a 2 hi-3 low, you have to hit the 3 and hit cutters in the high-paint...we did neither.....This was a game where our supposed gunners could have shone (Rennie 0-0,, Darby 1-2) but all they did was "NOT SHOOT!"... Makes me look forward to the incoming class more than ever. I know Puckett and Wynn can will pull the trigger and Striplin's midrange game is very good

Without Davis I expected someone to step up and have a big game. Nobody did and that hurt. Horston I expect better from her - no excuses.

Bad backs do not heal in a week,,,they take many weeks...Remember Larry Bird on the sidelines when he threw his out. I usually wouldn't wish a hurt back on anyone but for some of the posters downing that girl, maybe I will make an exception/

....Game day threads are starting to piss me off with the negavols and drive by sh!+ stirrers.

They sure are sparse on our wins, huh?

I fear this was a little preview of life next season. For those expecting Horston to step in and fill Rennia's shoes... she isn't.

Wynn will fill Rennia's shoes, Jordan will heal and get back to her game...Which by the way is 64 assists to 42 turnovers this year.

Everyone take a breath...Nothing to get worried about...Hug your wife/husband, or pet your dog, or stroke your cat, or talk to your bird, or feed your goldfish.

We lost a game, no big deal, so relax... This game was probably a loss once Davis was ruled out.....She's our Achilles, every team has one, and she's a damn good one too....

We'll kick the shift out of our next opponent, I guarantee it.

@GameTime I sure appreciate you ;o),,,,as do, I'm sure the non-negas

While we certainly kept Howard's scoring under control ( mostly due to Burrell's defense ), she did lead Kentucky in rebounds, assists and had a remarkable 7 steals.
Howard is a great player but just like Davis she seems uninterested at times during games.

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
This was a game where our supposed gunners could have shone (Rennie 0-0,, Darby 1-2) but all they did was "NOT SHOOT!".

Wynn will fill Rennia's shoes, Jordan will heal and get back to her game...Which by the way is 64 assists to 42 turnovers this year.

Just a couple of points. Rennie is 1-12 on threes this year. There is not a game where she would shine. No insult intended but the stats here are facts. Darby has played only 6 games and is 5-16 on threes. That is a combined 6-28 on threes between two players you said "could have shone".

You think a freshman ranked 62 on ESPN, 41 on ASGR, 31 Prospects Nation, and 39 Blue Star will fill the shoes of Rennia, a probable All-American this season? Wow, talk about inflated expectations. Even having a great freshman season, she won't fill Davis's shoes.

I don't know how bad Horston's back is. She did play 35 minutes. But with all the focus on her assists vs turnovers, while that is improved, her problem this season is shot selection and putting the ball in the basket. She is third on the team in shots taken and is shooting only 34.4%. Not on threes, but from the field. That is really really bad. And 28.6% on threes is not much better.

Sorry if this comes off negative. It's just reality.

Pretty sure it's been figured out. Beat a zone by shooting over it. Problem is, we have no shooters. If I'm coaching against us, I'm giving the 3 all day long (except possibly to Rae if she hits a few) and Tamari Key shall experience the most tightly packed zone in history and never touch the ball.

To be fair, and this is rare, JH did not have a t.o. tonight and had 3 assists. Walker only had one t.o. Salary took up the slack though, had 4 t.o.s in just 8 mins of play. Rae also had 4 and Key had 3, which pretty much accounted for our 16.

However, the fact that Jordan's shot remains so elusive is starting to really worry me that she actually doesn't have a shot. We're going on 50 games into the cold streak. Walker is not helping any; between them they are putting up some of the crappiest shooting stats in the SEC. Unfortunately their line tonight was pretty typical of them - 5-21 from field, 0-4 3 pt, 3-10 ft, with Walker missing two ft twice! Clearly, this must change drastically for us to have a chance at any tourney run.

I`m with you i agree

Bad shooting night as point guards go 6 for 23 from the field. It didn't help that KK was 2 for 7 and we had extreme difficulty dealing with pressure on the ball committing numerous turnovers in the second quarter. Tough game all around after another long break due to covid hopefully we can rebound with a better game versus A&M on Sunday.

Posts on both teams were pretty inefficient due to all the contact the officials were allowing. Still baffles me how varied the officiating is. Last night was wild. I didn’t mind it some because Tamari got away with a few, but our game is finishing in the paint. We benefit from a more tightly called game on the offensive end.

I believe the Lady Vols have the potential to run the table for the remainder of the season. They will get a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament if they do so. I know this is a bold statement. However, they have the talent and I predict that Coach Kellie will begin to establish herself as the next great WCBB coach at UT.
😂

This. THIS.

Suarez is a bust, period. No more excuses please. Let's just say she is unathletic and leave it there. Salary dribbles high and lets small guards steal from her, and makes bad passes and then puts her head down and forgets to play D. Walker...........................meh. Darby.....c'mon.

I'm not a CKJH basher, but her next class had better be a HUGE step up.

I`m not gonna go there and say any of them are a bust, I will just say they all need to improve on there basketball skills, As for the 2021 class they will need to very good to me if we want to win the SEC or NC.

Reactions: SandyO
Hopefully we get an outstanding point guard next season. JH appears to want to get in there and rather wildly win it all. She has the ability to play a large part in filling the parts KK and Davis now play. This is not to say she should be better with the ability she has at point but it appears to be a matter of nerves needing to be
settled in this madness of a season.

Just a couple of points. Rennie is 1-12 on threes this year. There is not a game where she would shine. No insult intended but the stats here are facts. Darby has played only 6 games and is 5-16 on threes. That is a combined 6-28 on threes between two players you said "could have shone".

You think a freshman ranked 62 on ESPN, 41 on ASGR, 31 Prospects Nation, and 39 Blue Star will fill the shoes of Rennia, a probable All-American this season? Wow, talk about inflated expectations. Even having a great freshman season, she won't fill Davis's shoes.

I don't know how bad Horston's back is. She did play 35 minutes. But with all the focus on her assists vs turnovers, while that is improved, her problem this season is shot selection and putting the ball in the basket. She is third on the team in shots taken and is shooting only 34.4%. Not on threes, but from the field. That is really really bad. And 28.6% on threes is not much better.

Sorry if this comes off negative. It's just reality.

NP

I did say "Could have shone"
"shooters keep shooting"
And in a game where zone is the defense, the door is not only open, it is off the hinges!
Opportunity lost for those two players.
As I tell my players, "when given the opportunity t o rewrite your status, do not! play to not "not make mistakes",,,Play to make a statement.
There was no statement and there was no shining.

And yes, a freshman ranked in the top 100,, when thousands more HS'ers are not even thought about being on the list ... I EXPECT them to be worth being ranked at all.

Horston's back is not healed yet.
If you have ever had back trouble, then you would know that sitting and anything done with both arms extended over the head are most troublesome...dribbling is done below the belt and most passes are done with two hands pushing or one hand hooking,,,shots are done with both arms extended above the shoulders.

I have had to deal with an L4/L5 Sacrum back problem and I can tell you from experience, on both job and court,,,she is doing all she can do until it fully heals

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
NP

I did say "Could have shone"
"shooters keep shooting"
And in a game where zone is the defense, the door is not only open, it is off the hinges!
Opportunity lost for those two players.
As I tell my players, "when given the opportunity t o rewrite your status, do not! play to not "not make mistakes",,,Play to make a statement.
There was no statement and there was no shining.

And yes, a freshman ranked in the top 100,, when thousands more HS'ers are not even thought about being on the list ... I EXPECT them to be worth being ranked at all.

Horston's back is not healed yet.
If you have ever had back trouble, then you would know that sitting and anything done with both arms extended over the head are most troublesome...dribbling is done below the belt and most passes are done with two hands pushing or one hand hooking,,,shots are done with both arms extended above the shoulders.

I have had to deal with an L4/L5 Sacrum back problem and I can tell you from experience, on both job and court,,,she is doing all she can do until it fully heals
Could have shone? Yeah, and I could have won the lottery. These two kids have seen little time and shot poorly when they did. Why on earth would you expect different?

The players that actually get minutes are the ones that needed to break the zone and only Burrell seemed capable of that.

I have had back surgery on my L4/L5 and I doubt it's impacting her that much since she played 35 minutes and I didn't see how she was impacted. I guess you have more insight to that than me. And she has been shooting poorly most of the season. How long has her back been bad? She has had poor shooting games all season. It's not just missing shots, it's her decision making on those shots. You don't see that as a coach?

It's not about being worth their rankings or not. I hope Wynn plays like a top 10 player. But to set any kind of expectations for her to come right in and "fill Davis's shoes" is so unfair to the player.

VN Store

Back