Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 54 - (8/8) LSU 57

Ya know, I have to say that over the many years I've followed college athletics, I long ago came to the realization that the head coach has little to nothing to do with how teams come out to play in the first quarter once it becomes obvious the shots aren't falling.

I cannot imagine another head coach in country being any more insistent on stressing both mental and physical toughness in her players than Harper is. The team has proved time and time again that they are resilient and tough and will fight to the end.

Yet several times this season we've heard heartbroken Lady Vols, in post-game pressers, say "we have to learn to play harder in the first quarter. IMO, they are owning it -- and at this point, especially, they probably should.

Even so, these are NOT professionals. They are students and they are young women who have lpconcerns and worries and pains and joys and sorrows and, well, lives outside of sport. Some people are perpetually, instantly ON. And others need time to find their strength in stressful situations. I have come to realize that which side of that fence a DI athlete lives is probably determined by the time they are awkwardly heaving up shots as 9-year-olds.

If our Lady Vols can somehow bow up and get past their own self-doubts early in games from here on out, they'll be good. But they need to find their "inner Neo" and when the first shred of doubt enters their minds in the first quarter, say, "No. This is NOT the way this is going. WE are winning this game, and it starts NOW. "
IMO its one of the hardest parts of coaching, the pre- and early game mindset. I agree, sometimes it's out of the coach's control and impossible to read. Coach could swear she has them ready but . .. .

I never think it's conscious or intentional on the players' part either, they probably think they're dialed in. That's why I hate comments like " they finally decided to play" . . . Focus is such a hard and nebulous thing. Any coach or player that can control it has a winning hand. But they still have to work on it.

They are but the affect injuries have on a team vary greatly. When you're a team held together by duct tape and desire with little margin for error, they can be devastating. Especially like with Green's injury, where there simply is no next player up. Or Horston's which takes out your leading scorer, rebounder, and assister. Everyone deals with injuries, but all injuries losses to teams are not equal.

The injury excuses are starting to sound eerily similar to the fans who used the same rationale to defend Holly tooth and nail. I distinctly remember Horston was in the lineup against Auburn, and against Alabama when it got out of hand. This team has clearly regressed for weeks, and it isn't just because of injuries...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Tennessee fans that want to have a real discussion.. what were your thoughts on Brooklynn Miles performance today? I was very impressed with her ability to run the offense and play outstanding defense. She really got after it on defense and showed great enthusiasm that gave the team a spark. She has so much potential.

The injury excuses are starting to sound eerily similar to the fans who used the same rationale to defend Holly tooth and nail. I distinctly remember Horston was in the lineup against Auburn, and against Alabama when it got out of hand. This team has clearly regressed for weeks, and it isn't just because of injuries...
Maybe I'm forgetting but I never remember Holly having these kind of significant injuries. It is true JH was around for the slide, but she has actually playing better for the most part. No doubt the team has struggled for weeks but I think the injuries have taken away the possibility of turning it around. I'm sure you don't lol.

I just don't think KJH has done a bad coaching job, and obviously we disagree about that.

In 18/19, Holly had NINE SEC losses, finished in 8th place, and was eliminated in the first round of the ncaat. Comparing this coach in year three to Holly's performance in her 7th year is a dishonest argument. But , that's what trolls do, I get it.

Tennessee fans that want to have a real discussion.. what were your thoughts on Brooklynn Miles performance today? I was very impressed with her ability to run the offense and play outstanding defense. She really got after it on defense and showed great enthusiasm that gave the team a spark. She has so much potential.

I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH WHAT MILES HAS BROUGHT TO THE LADY VOLS.

Hope that was clear enough. 🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

How do you plan to hold the coach "accountable"? Some really sharply worded posts? Maybe even a meme! If you're a donor or if you go to games, you get a vote. Don't give and don't go. But if, like me, you're just a fan forum blowhard, our ability to hold jacksh*t accountable is nonexistent.

As far as being upset over losses, we all are or we wouldn't care enough to be here. It's just some of us don't take losses as a personal insult or outrage. We realize this is a team with alot of limitations but who are always scrappy and entertaining. And certainly heading the right direction as a program. If you want me to tear my hair out or maybe go burn a mattress, I'm going to fall short of your passion level.
Kellie coached well, the players didn't come through. That last shot by Key had to be made.

Darth do you think missing 2 players might have something to do with this loss? I know it was a frustrating loss but I give them credit for the fight that they showed in this comeback effort won't you? We missed SO MANY bunnies and free throws, so what more can Kellie do man?
Last game of regular season, are you saying this is an aberration? Or are you saying this is something the current team is not and has not been good at? Are you implying this game was diff from normal?

IMO its one of the hardest parts of coaching, the pre- and early game mindset. I agree, sometimes it's out of the coach's control and impossible to read. Coach could swear she has them ready but . .. .

I never think it's conscious or intentional on the players' part either, they probably think they're dialed in. That's why I hate comments like " they finally decided to play" . . . Focus is such a hard and nebulous thing. Any coach or player that can control it has a winning hand. But they still have to work on it.

So, so true.

I think most Lady Vol fans can agree that Pat Head Summitt was one of the most demanding, and one of the best motivators, in the history of the women's game.

Yet many times over the years we (and she) were occasionally flummoxed by horrible early starts. Some of those ended in hard-fought wins for Tennessee, and some in painful losses.

But the point is, either way those results were obviously NOT due to the coaching staff not being willing or able to prepare their players for those games.

I'm saying Kellie can't make these shots for them.

I honestly believe it's a case of players loving their program SOOOOO MUCH, and wanting to be able to be the one to help them TOOOOOOOO much, that is sometimes making them play too tight to start.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I get THAT vibe off a group of players as strongly as I get it off of THIS team -- a once-in-decades-kinda-vibe -- then you just sit back, relax, and know that they are doing the best they can. And if they happen to come up short, you should just SHUT YOUR HO MOUTH. lol

I really like the job Kellie has done as far as building this team foundation of what it takes to be a championship program. Toughness both Mental and physical and constant will to win. Some players still learning these lessons. Today this team shot poorly and lost the game but they kept fighting. Never gave up. Kellie is definitely not cutting corners to win but building a foundation. Now saying that it's time to build the future roster with more talented Ladies if we are going to compete and win championships and that's the bottom line. In CHRIST Alone

VN Store

Back