Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 54 - (8/8) LSU 57

They were a more talented team not better coached. If better coached we wouldn't have won the last three quarters. I think they got off to a great start made some perimeter shots and then we adjusted and won the rest of the game. I really don't worry about what you say about Coach Harper not a problem if that is what you believe. You have to hope we don't keep finishing in the top part of the league and regardless you have about five more years to keep posting the same thing about her. Go to it I know what she has done in three seasons here from where we were. I'm just glad we have an AD that knows that also.

Yes, we have a coach whose ceiling is third in the SEC... which is apparently good enough.

UGA reminds me of a worse version of us honestly, Bama beat us once already. I actually fear them the most, suppose Auburn did too but that was more flukey.
We need to win it no matter who it is and winning without our best players is going to be difficult going forward.

Yes, we have a coach whose ceiling is third in the SEC... which is apparently good enough.
Good enough for now and good enough for the AD and he and the majority of fans that like what is happening really are the only ones that matter. We need some additional players at some positions it is a process.

We lost the game, but that was a heckuva fun-to-watch 2nd half. I don't know how any supporter of the Lady Vols could not be proud of the team. LSU is absolutely loaded with SIX 5th-year seniors/grad students in their main rotation, and it's the type of talent that everyone knows is particularly tough for Tennessee to hang with. Yet the Lady Vols lost only by 3 after being down 18.

We competed with two 5th-year seniors (one who wears a knee brace), one senior who is still not 100% after missing half of the season, one terrific junior, a sophomore whom some here have said belongs in DII, and a freshman.

Think about it.

In three seasons she hasn't accomplished what Mulkey has done in one...
I understand your frustration Darth you are ready for a team full of AA. We definitely without Horston struggle at guard position with players who make others better. Now Kim and lsu are fortunate with super seniors wish Davis would have stayed so it's hard to know who is doing a great job with so many Seniors who should have been gone. I believe Kellie with the overall injuries she has faced has done a great job coaching but if she had recruited few more players then our bench play would be better. Hopefully she is ear of Miss Jackson telling her with Key in paint and Horston creating you will face only one defender most of game. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: StrangeVol
Lays an egg?? Did you even watch the game??? It was a battle! Toe to toe with a very good coach,and a higher ranked team.
Believe it comes down to wins and losses in big games. Big environment, recruits, verses a Top 10 team/Mulkey and TV. Have to start winning these games as opposed to putting on a good effort.

I understand your frustration Darth you are ready for a team full of AA. We definitely without Horston struggle at guard position with players who make others better. Now Kim and lsu are fortunate with super seniors wish Davis would have stayed so it's hard to know who is doing a great job with so many Seniors who should have been gone. I believe Kellie with the overall injuries she has faced has done a great job coaching but if she had recruited few more players then our bench play would be better. Hopefully she is ear of Miss Jackson telling her with Key in paint and Horston creating you will face only one defender most of game. In CHRIST Alone

Evidently I'm the only one here who thought the team SHOULD have won today. They were at home, and with Morris out, Tennessee had the better team IMO even without Horston.

But hey, they sure played hard. Eventually. Yay!

Let’s just say it…keep it honest here…Rae has not returned to previous form yet, Horston is lost for now, Green lost for season, huge stuff. So when you evaluate the coaching by KH through all that, you have to understand what she has had to work through. In spite of Darth’s constant troll messages, KH has done an amazing job, and she almost came back to beat Mulkey today in spite of all the set backs to her best players. Mulkey has won 3 Natties, Kelly almost came back and beat her team today in spite of all the health issues to her best players. KH can coach, I know her history, at NCSU etc, but she has shown she can coach.

Can she recruit at top level? I guess that is the second biggest thing she is always questioned on, I don’t know…but she can coach a damned team

Believe it comes down to wins and losses in big games. Big environment, recruits, verses a Top 10 team/Mulkey and TV. Have to start winning these games as opposed to putting on a good effort.

It wasn’t just a good effort… Key had a shot at the end to tie this game and possibly send it to overtime. Tennessee had a great chance to win this game. Again I’m not talking about effort…
Key played well and hopefully if given that opportunity again can make the big basket.. there was another opportunity in the final seconds but unfortunately it ended with a bad decision/poor play inbounding the basketball.

Despite getting out rebounded and not shooting good from the free throw line all game late in the 4th qtr Tennessee was the better team. In basketball you don’t have to win every game or always have the best record in the regular season.
The tournament play is what matters and they will play teams like LSU when it matters starting next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: River67
Evidently I'm the only one here who thought the team SHOULD have won today. They were at home, and with Morris out, Tennessee had the better team IMO even without Horston.

But hey, they sure played hard. Eventually. Yay!
Didn't make shots. Rae had a really rough senior day. Make open shots you win. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It wasn’t just a good effort… Key had a shot at the end to tie this game and possibly send it to overtime. Tennessee had a great chance to win this game. Again I’m not talking about effort…
Key played well and hopefully if given that opportunity again can make the big basket.. there was another opportunity in the final seconds but unfortunately it ended with a bad decision/poor play inbounding the basketball.

Despite getting out rebounding and not shooting good from the free throw line all game late in the 4th qtr Tennessee was the better team. In basketball you don’t have to win every game or always have the best record in the regular season.
The tournament play is what matters and they will play teams like LSU when it matters starting next week.
Moral victories are year one. We had a chance to tie with Key and she overshot the rim up close. Correct on tournament, but if we cannot win now how can we expect any different next week.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Let’s just say it…keep it honest here…Rae has not returned to previous form yet, Horston is lost for now, Green lost for season, huge stuff. So when you evaluate the coaching by KH through all that, you have to understand what she has had to work through. In spite of Darth’s constant troll messages, KH has done an amazing job, and she almost came back to beat Mulkey today in spite of all the set backs to her best players. Mulkey has won 3 Natties, Kelly almost came back and beat her team today in spite of all the health issues to her best players. KH can coach, I know her history, at NCSU etc, but she has shown she can coach.

Can she recruit at top level? I guess that is the second biggest thing she is always questioned on, I don’t know…but she can coach a damned team
I agree she can coach. Today team shot horrendous from field but they never give up and battle. But Kellie does have to know to return to Championship Level she needs better players. To much dead wood on bench.

VN Store

Back