Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 59 - Southern Illinois 49

A very good analysis of the lady Vols this year is very good defensively and no three point shooters. Offense is fine otherwise except everyone is going to pack it in a zone because they don't think we have players that can make the three. We got the three looks against SIU that was their game plan. If we hadn't finally made two probably lose the game. Three point shooting is going to determine a lot of wins and losses for us this season.

I finally watched the game and this is my belief. One first game and sometimes these first games can go one or two ways and for us we were out of sync offensively so there is that. 2. This team can play some D except Tess more on her in minute. Second Half without your 2 best players and T Key on bench from the 3rd period of the 6:00 mark we held them to 14 points rest of game that is 14 pts in 16mns of play wonderful. 3. Young Freshman got a test to see if they can play with composure in a tight game and yes they did as well as Dye being new to team they passed this test. Why because they take on the personality of there Coach tough as nails in which I love. 4. Tess love the energy and heart but if she can not be above average 3 point shooter hard to see her getting a lot of playing time due to her liability on D. Overall not the performance offensively we have to have but with injuries it could be expected. Again D allowed only 49Pts Looking forward to game tonight. In CHRIST Alone.

I finally watched the game and this is my belief. One first game and sometimes these first games can go one or two ways and for us we were out of sync offensively so there is that. 2. This team can play some D except Tess more on her in minute. Second Half without your 2 best players and T Key on bench from the 3rd period of the 6:00 mark we held them to 14 points rest of game that is 14 pts in 16mns of play wonderful. 3. Young Freshman got a test to see if they can play with composure in a tight game and yes they did as well as Dye being new to team they passed this test. Why because they take on the personality of there Coach tough as nails in which I love. 4. Tess love the energy and heart but if she can not be above average 3 point shooter hard to see her getting a lot of playing time due to her liability on D. Overall not the performance offensively we have to have but with injuries it could be expected. Again D allowed only 49Pts Looking forward to game tonight. In CHRIST Alone.

I hope the team locks down on defense given the injuries that slowed the offense.

A very good analysis of the lady Vols this year is very good defensively and no three point shooters. Offense is fine otherwise except everyone is going to pack it in a zone because they don't think we have players that can make the three. We got the three looks against SIU that was their game plan. If we hadn't finally made two probably lose the game. Three point shooting is going to determine a lot of wins and losses for us this season.

I don't think we are as bad shooting the three as we were in that first game. But we sure aren't a good three shooting team, either, and now we're worse without Rae. if we can just hit enough to keep defenses honest that will have to do.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I don't think we are as bad shooting the three as we were in that first game. But we sure aren't a good three shooting team, either, and now we're worse without Rae. if we can just hit enough to keep defenses honest that will have to do.
I said if we make 4 of 13 today I think we win. That 0 of 13 and finishing 2 of 15 is what cannot happen. A better team than SIU and playing at home just takes a better effort offensively to win today.

I would add free throw shooting to three point shooting as a huge concern...

Reactions: 37620VOL
I said if we make 4 of 13 today I think we win. That 0 of 13 and finishing 2 of 15 is what cannot happen. A better team than SIU and playing at home just takes a better effort offensively to win today.

According to Harper, Puckett is a real shooter. I haven't seen it yet, though that three she hit at end of the first game was HUGE. If she is the shooter Harper says she is, then we should be able to hit 30% from three, which is your 4/13 number. I think we'll be OK at that number if we can do it consistently.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
According to Harper, Puckett is a real shooter. I haven't seen it yet, though that three she hit at end of the first game was HUGE. If she is the shooter Harper says she is, then we should be able to hit 30% from three, which is your 4/13 number. I think we'll be OK at that number if we can do it consistently.
Darby and Rennie are supposed to be real shooters too. All three need to show they can do it under pressure against the better teams.

She only took four shots made that layup and 1 of 2 from three. We won't know much about her shooting until she gets about 10 attempts in a game. She has been passive offensively even when open the total opposite of Walker who will shoot when open.

Darby and Rennie are supposed to be real shooters too. All three need to show they can do it under pressure against the better teams.
My approach would be if they miss their first two attempts I sit them a while may give them another chance later in the game. 0 for 6 need to make at least two if they shoot that many today.

I hope the team locks down on defense given the injuries that slowed the offense.
There are only few teams that can overcome losing there best players and still have a great offense against most teams but even these few teams playing against each other the team that loses its best players will lose to the healthier team. Team D is what we can definitely improve on and carry us as offense grows. In CHRIST Alone

Getting shooters out of a mental slump can be tricky IMO. They certainly, by this time, have excellent muscle memory so it's more about getting their focus centered and most importantly their confidence up. It will be interesting how the staff plays it.

The other aspect that determined play in the 1st game is that SIU was allowed to be extremely physical until the 4th quarter. Is that how games are going to be officiated this year? It made for an ugly game with very poor flow. It was certainly hard to watch us take a punch right between the eyes and wonder about for ages. Heartening that they stepped up and took the game late. Not so sure that would have happened if the officials had not woken up.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She only took four shots made that layup and 1 of 2 from three. We won't know much about her shooting until she gets about 10 attempts in a game. She has been passive offensively even when open the total opposite of Walker who will shoot when open.

Yes, she's been like a freshman early in her freshman season.

VN Store

Back