Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 59 - Southern Illinois 49

I know that Grad Transfer can move on anytime and be eligible to play at the start of the next quarter think that would be January. I don't know about any others as there is a one time transfer rule which I think is now only effective for after the season to July. Underclassmen that has never transferred or is leaving for some other reason have no idea. To add I don't think Kellie would take any freshmen to play on this years team they could come in and be eligible for next season I'm sure.

I would have said the same two weeks ago. If Rae’s injury is going to have her out for a bit I could see her adding Shavers if there is still mutual interest and if she would be eligible to play. We are getting thin and I’m a little concerned that Horston has already been out.

Obviously she didn’t play for preventative reasons but I was hoping she’d have a really healthy season and instead we have an injury and bump in the road the first dang game.

Last edited:
I’m not sure either.

I was commenting on that specific situation. I do think Shavers would be able to play immediately once she chooses a school. They had a coaching change and she entered the portal before the season officially started.

I would get anyone who enters the portal after having already played this season will have to sit. Would have to go back and read the new rules they put out though.
i read if a player signs and not enrolls they could play without siting out a year if they get a release. i read some of the rules its not all clear. i bet its simple if know where look

Reactions: krichunaka
I would have said the same two weeks ago. If Rae’s injury is going to have her out for a bit I could see her adding Shavers if there is still mutual interest and if she would be eligible to play. We are getting thin and I’m a little concerned that Horston has already been out.

Obviously she didn’t play for preventative reasons but I was hoping she’d had a really healthy season and instead we have an injury and bump in the road the first dang game.
I'd like to add her excellent player.

Reactions: VolBall09
Once you enter the portal are you immediately ineligible with the team you are currently with? If so that leaves you hanging in the wind until someone picks you up.

Athletes who participate in fall and winter sports must enter the transfer portal by May 1 in order to be eligible immediately the following season. The deadline for players in spring sports is July 1.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Once you enter the portal are you immediately ineligible with the team you are currently with? If so that leaves you hanging in the wind until someone picks you up.

Shavers is no longer on MSST's roster. I don't know if she is even still enrolled with the school. I think that she wouldn't be eligible to play for another school until January. She doesn't get the extra COVID year, so who knows...she might not resurface until next fall since she would basically burn a whole year without the likelihood of getting any meaningful court time.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Shavers is no longer on MSST's roster. I don't know if she is even still enrolled with the school. I think that she wouldn't be eligible to play for another school until January. She doesn't get the extra COVID year, so who knows...she might not resurface until next fall since she would basically burn a whole year without the likelihood of getting any meaningful court time.

If this is how it goes for her I find that very sad. She’s a freshman who hasn’t even played a game yet. Got totally screwed by circumstance and now may not have any recourse to change schools and play.

I still think she will be eligible because she put her name in before the season truly started. Will be interesting to see what happens. I’ll bet they allow her to transfer to another school and play this season though at least from Jan on.

Without the three best and most experienced of our starting five. That's the point. Those I mentioned saved the day despite the fact that they are disrespected on this board frequently as sub-par recruits. And a couple of them were mere freshman recruits at that. For those that are always deriding Kellie's recruiting have to admit that her recruits saved the day.

From you: For those that are always deriding Kellie's recruiting have to admit that her recruits saved the day. They saved the day against a team that had no business even hanging around all game or coming close to winning the game correct ? As far as sub-par recruits i would not say that. But Darby is more of a mid major player she can shoot the rock but can`t create her own shot also lacks the foots speed to defend against the best that is yet to come. Striplin all we heard all summer was she was the recorded a double-double player in HS and how she would be pretty much that at TN. To be fair it`s her first game so i will throw her status out the window in this game. But from a players skill set review and i have watched many of the top HS prospects play, Striplin has a long way to go she is raw and for her trying to defend front court players like Boston, Amihere, Austin, i can go on is not not gonna happen. Pucket is a little more polished then Striplin i think, But she to will have her problems with the better top wing and players. Miles will get tested to against the best but i like her defense . Wynn she is not an offense threat from 15ft on out to me over hyped. Dye is a good get no problem with her at all. But as for KJH yes she needs to start bring in some elite recruits 2022 with just Justine will not cut it. What we all know about this team is that if Key is out of the game this team has problems.

They saved the day against a team that had no business even hanging around all game or coming close to winning the game correct ?

Not correct. It was stated several times on the broadcast just how experienced SIU is, a team chock full of seniors. If you watched them, they played like it. A pretty well oiled machine of players who know each other very well, and well coached. Their choreography and patters were smooth, they worked very well together on both ends of the floor. We used to see Princeton men in the ncaa tournament with almost zero talent but with extremely good teamwork beat teams of superior talent. It's a team game, and the better TEAM wins.

Against our first 6, they would have had no chance. Put Key, Rae, and Jordy all in the game for 30 minutes each and we win by 25. But take them out for all the time they were out, and SIU definitely had a chance to beat our inexperience bench, including Darby and those four freshmen. A senior team against that group of inexeperienced players had a definite chance, as you witnessed. Our other seniors (Walker and Dye) were huge, but so was Miles and Puckett, and Wynn and Striplin pitched in, too.

You keep making my in your post above by pointing out how unpolished and raw our bench players are.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That’s just not fair!

Tess is getting scathing reviews, but let's remember that Sara had a pretty miserable exhibition game yet bounced back last night.

Tess is one of the finest young ladies we'll see suited up in TBA. Her love for her teammates is unquestioned, and the coaching staff obviously has confidence in her, otherwise she wouldn't have started. Same with Marta last year.

As for the video, I'd just show Tess the infamous Bill Bates video. Seems that young man recovered nicely and went on to have a pretty decent career (and even learned to laugh about the experience).

Tess is stronger emotionally than some think. It's pretty weenie to give any player a scathing review in the first game of the season. Doesn't statistically significant mean much anymore? Some had already written the team off before the half.

Last edited:
Looking over the stats, you'd think the LVs at least semi dominated. Shot 43%, won boards by large margin, only 10 t.o.s. Glaring deficiences in 3 pt and ft shooting, but still a 10 pt win.

Then why did they look so bad, and why did they lead only 31% of the game? I'm not trying to be overly negative and even given the personnel losses, this team appears to have a ton of work to do to be SEC ready.
A lot of things could have contributed to the poor play. Horston was out, Burrell went out early in the second half, Key was on the bench most of the time, Dye, Walker and others did little on offense until the 4th quarter, Miles, Dye, Puckett, Key and Walker showed up in the 4th quarter. It seemed as though the team was not mentally ready for Southern Illinois’ quick play and do or die attitude until the 4th quarter. They were like ants at a picnic, they were all over us. Also the refs started to seriously call fouls on Southern Illinois in the 4th quarter. If the Ladies had played the prior 3 quarters like they did the 4th, it would have been a much different game.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
A lot of things could have contributed to the poor play. Horston was out, Burrell went out early in the second half, Key was on the bench most of the time, Dye, Walker and others did little on offense until the 4th quarter, Miles, Dye, Puckett, Key and Walker showed up in the 4th quarter. It seemed as though the team was not mentally ready for Southern Illinois’ quick play and do or die attitude until the 4th quarter. They were like ants at a picnic, they were all over us. Also the refs started to seriously call fouls on Southern Illinois in the 4th quarter. If the Ladies had played the prior 3 quarters like they did the 4th, it would have been a much different game.

Rae went out in the 2nd quarter and she had been most of the offense up to that point. If the refs had called the first three quarters like they called the fourth, game over early. Too much shock all at once shook them. Better to experience that and win. I hope to see more focus from everyone next game.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Rae went out in the 2nd quarter and she had been most of the offense up to that point. If the refs had called the first three quarters like they called the fourth, game over early. Too much shock all at once shook them. Better to experience that and win. I hope to see more focus from everyone next game.
I agree -
Jordy a late scratch then
Key gets a quick 2pfs and the hook then
No worries we still have Rae to lean on, then…..well crap our leader is hurt, it looks serious
But okay, we get Key back to start the third, well double doo doo Key gets quick 3rd pf and the hook again
At this point there were a lot of big eyes and tight tummies on the court.
We want our freshmen and less experienced kids to face a little adversity and pressure but this was probably a little overload for the first game of the year. I wouldn’t judge Striplin, Wynn or Darby harshly at all on this game.

Not correct. It was stated several times on the broadcast just how experienced SIU is, a team chock full of seniors. If you watched them, they played like it. A pretty well oiled machine of players who know each other very well, and well coached. Their choreography and patters were smooth, they worked very well together on both ends of the floor. We used to see Princeton men in the ncaa tournament with almost zero talent but with extremely good teamwork beat teams of superior talent. It's a team game, and the better TEAM wins.

Against our first 6, they would have had no chance. Put Key, Rae, and Jordy all in the game for 30 minutes each and we win by 25. But take them out for all the time they were out, and SIU definitely had a chance to beat our inexperience bench, including Darby and those four freshmen. A senior team against that group of inexeperienced players had a definite chance, as you witnessed. Our other seniors (Walker and Dye) were huge, but so was Miles and Puckett, and Wynn and Striplin pitched in, too.

You keep making my in your post above by pointing out how unpolished and raw our bench players are.

Question for you We all watch the NC State SC or UConn, game how do you think that experienced SIU do against them ? hmm. We struggled to put a bad team so what you are trying to say is we need Rae to be in the lineup to put away over matched so call experienced SIU team ? I don`t care how experienced they are there not a good team in my opinion. Remember some on this board circle the wagon on the four freshmen ?. Me i don`t change like the weather i call it like i see it. I said the talent level of play in Alabama not that it is in FL, NC, TX, CA and some other states. Now do get me wrong the jury is still out on the four freshmen and they could prove me wrong. But right now i call it like i see it. Message for the ones that are circling the wagon on TN recruiting, Go out and watch the players if you can. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back