Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

This might be a good idea for a couple of games, letting Key study the game flow sitting next to a coaching coach. To do so successfully, Green must do what I thought she would do last year before the injury. I thought her absence last year hurt a lot. Hope her availability this year is a big plus.
And Key has to sit next to the coach instead of the end of the bench!!

I wasn’t able to watch the game tonight, curious if we looked better than when we played Southern Illinois?
A tale of two halves. First half Horston was fabulous we had a few to many turnovers, but still went out with a 12 point lead. I thought the second half was the worst half we've played this season. A lot of turnovers easy misses around the rim and had to hold on down the stretch.

A tale of two halves. First half Horston was fabulous we had a few to many turnovers, but still went out with a 12 point lead. I thought the second half was the worst half we've played this season. A lot of turnovers easy misses around the rim and had to hold on down the stretch.
Easy misses around the rim drives me crazy

Been a strange year 90 percent of womens teams have looked ugly in these early games. I haven't seen so many teams play so badly in any year.
The offense never looks really pretty against really experienced good defensive teams. This team we played tonight returned last year's team, and 4 are 5th-year seniors to go along with their other 4 seniors on a team that had the number one defense in the country last year. This was a 10th seeded NCAA tournament team a year ago that went 16-4 with basically every player returning. It wasn't pretty, but we won.

COach K seemed to have a purpose or objective for thsi game,,,early
once again she kicked in her coaching when it counted (Q4) and went out right

Correct she’s coaching coaching right now while also getting different players looks at different positions and combinations while not sacrificing the game overall. Doesn’t always matter what it looks like, she and the team are learning lessons and more about each other each day. Horston and Key want to see Tess succeed in her new role and I think she will. I also think both Sara and Brooklynn will excel in their expanded minutes this year while Wynn and Karoline will have to figure out their offensive games before being able to contribute but I see it coming for both of them.

I’m not writing off the season because while both games have been close, I’ve actual breathed through them both just because I have faith in the coaching and their schemes and understanding how she embraces adversity. I trust them to win ugly as well as win beautifully. But Key has to figure out the fouling situation.. and fast.

Last edited:
The offense never looks really pretty against really experienced good defensive teams. This team we played tonight returned last year's team, and 4 are 5th-year seniors to go along with their other 4 seniors on a team that had the number one defense in the country last year. This was a 10th seeded NCAA tournament team a year ago that went 16-4 with basically every player returning. It wasn't pretty, but we won.

Thank you!!!

Reactions: dapeak
Terrible two games in a row! Jordan Horston needs to stay far away from playing PG. She should play the the 2 or 3 and leave the ball handling to people who can prevent the urge to go behind the back while being double teamed or insists on no look passes for every pass….11 turnovers? She is a Junior! 11 turnovers?!?!?

Reactions: olddog
We will get a lot better. I think winning against a team that had all eight returnees and four were fifth year players is something to build on. A lot better than losing. Next two are really tough ranked teams don't know how were going to get those games.
guy on lady vols radio say they had the best deffense scoring wise in country last year

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Yes we probably need to cut down on her handling of the ball. Miles does a better job of that. We still need her in there to score her shots were huge in the first half of the game.

I think that transition is likely as the season goes on. I saw Jordan H. moving into Rae;'s slot. She struggled a bit in the 2nd half but she stepped up big in the 1st half filling the Rae void when the team might have had some doubts...

Horston isn’t and has never been a PG in College she is a 3 to me based on her poor ball handling.. with Rae out I would start Miles/Walker/Horston/Dye/Green but I think her minutes are limited right now..Key needs to be first off the bench and just let the game flow to her and this way she doesn’t get a foul in the first few minutes..
Key is so difficult to figure out ..

VN Store

Back