Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

There is a lot of concerning things with this team but one glaring issue that I’m noticing is the chemistry with Dye. There was just way too many times we could’ve had easy buckets if the ball was passed to Dye or either Dye made a dump pass to Key.

I get she’s new, and so are our freshmen, but it’s imperative that the chemistry develops fast.

The one good thing this team does very well is not fold their tent and retreat when things go badly. They seem to have the ability to right the ship and forge ahead. That is a huge change from some of our teams in the not too distant past. I like their toughness.

Absolutely, they took one or two on the chin last game then two days later go on the road for a challenging game. There was improvement in several areas and some good things repeated. Obvious issues need to be worked on but I agree with you, they appear to be tough which is an encouraging development. It's still early but some good trending going on.

Seems to me scores are lower across the board in WBB this season. I suspect it is due to the poor 3 point shooting. Browsing box scores it’s abysmal really, everyone is still adjusting to the new depth. Only true, pure shooters can do really well from out there. Off balance jump shots from that range are tough to hit.

Hopefully everyone will adjust.

Except Belmont, they seem to have it sorted out 😂

Little Rock ahead of Vanderbilt 42-31, at Vanderbilt, 9 minutes left in the 4th.

Keep in mind that UCF is a much quicker team at every position than the Lady Vols. Much, much quicker to my eye. Add the fact that they have more experienced players than any other we’ll face all season, and it’s no wonder that our team, missing its superstar and playing quite a few inexperienced players, were kinda rough looking on offense. We had a hard time with their quickness sometimes, but still got the win.

I’m happy with it because the Lady Vols proved they can overcome tons of speed and experience — and on the road in front of a very good home crowd.

When I think back to how classy Candace Parker and Kellie were and the compare Horston and Key. Whoa.
Then your memory isn’t very good. Candace Parker was very chippy. She would embarrass someone and then just stare them down. Any block Candace made was always accompanied by a get that thing out of here. Horston and Key are great young women. Dear stone thought the tech was ridiculous and the refs let Key just get mugged. I agree Key needs to figure out a way to channel her frustrations to help her team it her frustration is understandable.

This is just crazy does she not get any slack for injuries to starters I mean she can control that can she

I am grading her entire body of work. Not just this year. Postseason results? Recruiting?

I really have not been impressed by most of it.

You may disagree, that’s fine. But this is not an isolated incident caused by injuries.

She has failed to fix turnovers during her tenure here and at some point we are going to have to move on if she doesn’t improve.

Year 3 needs to show results.

The defense is far ahead of the offense which obviously looks more disjointed now due to the issues of the previous game with Rae out and Horston not having already played a game and Darby continuing to find her legs in a new more pronounced role. And AGAIN with Key’s foul trouble.

Miles looks steady at the PG position defensively. Offensively she’s running into traps and that’ll hurt horribly with better teams but she also has an ability to just make the right passes. The more reps she gets the better she will be, she has the starting PG potential we’re looking for. Honestly probably the better looking point guard we’ve had in a long time.

Puckett continues to find her legs and her moments. She can continue to improve defensively and figure out her pace offensively.

Darby hit some shots and made a few good plays. If she can truly get into game shape she’ll be even better but she has good instincts offensively even if she can’t always follow through and finish with the play she’s trying to make due to athleticism.

Horston was good! She still has an extreme tendency to make the superstar pass and maybe with an all American Rae she’d have looked like a STUD this game but with the players surrounding her currently she has to be way more careful with the ball.

Key made good plays when she got the ball. Better/improved post moves. She has to do her work early and not foul or be overly aggressive against smaller teams and be careful with her arms.

Dye is good just needs to get in game shape for this season and level of play.

Green was good but also looks like she’s getting back into game shape and she’s obviously coming off injury but she was good.

Walker didn’t give a ton this game until the end and we needed it.

Wynn actually looked good when she was on the court, I look forward to her getting more minutes. If she can work on her three point shot she’d be able to do wonders with the minutes available with Rae out.

If Rae comes back the playing time many of these ladies have been and will be able to get during this time is invaluable and will serve us well during the postseason. If Rae is out all season, these early challenges are important for them to know where they are and where they need to get to in order to perform at the level as a team they aspire to get to. These ladies are playing new roles now that they definitely didn’t think they be playing this year. Horston and Key HAVE to be primary scorers. Walker HAS to score this season and I think she can. Miles HAS to be a solid backup PG. Darby HAS to play be minutes.

These next two games will tell us A LOT about where we are as a team and where our potential lies without Rae.

Weird game statistically, I haven't been able to watch yet. UT UCF WBB1112 (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

1. Horston with 11 turnovers but we were plus 21 with her in the game. How?

2. People seem to be saying Green had a good game but we were minus 10 with her in the game.

3. We were plus 11 with Puckett in the game. I think she has earned a start.

Weird game statistically, I haven't been able to watch yet. UT UCF WBB1112 (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

1. Horston with 11 turnovers but we were plus 21 with her in the game. How?

2. People seem to be saying Green had a good game but we were minus 10 with her in the game.

3. We were plus 11 with Puckett in the game. I think she has earned a start.
I think they are talking about the three charges Green took. First half Horston played amazing scored most of her points and only 3 turnovers. Second half horror looked like a freshman at times got a technical. I think she should be starting over Darby but Darby played her best game as a Lady Vol.

Reactions: 37620VOL
The defense is far ahead of the offense which obviously looks more disjointed now due to the issues of the previous game with Rae out and Horston not having already played a game and Darby continuing to find her legs in a new more pronounced role. And AGAIN with Key’s foul trouble.

Miles looks steady at the PG position defensively. Offensively she’s running into traps and that’ll hurt horribly with better teams but she also has an ability to just make the right passes. The more reps she gets the better she will be, she has the starting PG potential we’re looking for. Honestly probably the better looking point guard we’ve had in a long time.

Puckett continues to find her legs and her moments. She can continue to improve defensively and figure out her pace offensively.

Darby hit some shots and made a few good plays. If she can truly get into game shape she’ll be even better but she has good instincts offensively even if she can’t always follow through and finish with the play she’s trying to make due to athleticism.

Horston was good! She still has an extreme tendency to make the superstar pass and maybe with an all American Rae she’d have looked like a STUD this game but with the players surrounding her currently she has to be way more careful with the ball.

Key made good plays when she got the ball. Better/improved post moves. She has to do her work early and not foul or be overly aggressive against smaller teams and be careful with her arms.

Dye is good just needs to get in game shape for this season and level of play.

Green was good but also looks like she’s getting back into game shape and she’s obviously coming off injury but she was good.

Walker didn’t give a ton this game until the end and we needed it.

Wynn actually looked good when she was on the court, I look forward to her getting more minutes. If she can work on her three point shot she’d be able to do wonders with the minutes available with Rae out.

If Rae comes back the playing time many of these ladies have been and will be able to get during this time is invaluable and will serve us well during the postseason. If Rae is out all season, these early challenges are important for them to know where they are and where they need to get to in order to perform at the level as a team they aspire to get to. These ladies are playing new roles now that they definitely didn’t think they be playing this year. Horston and Key HAVE to be primary scorers. Walker HAS to score this season and I think she can. Miles HAS to be a solid backup PG. Darby HAS to play be minutes.

These next two games will tell us A LOT about where we are as a team and where our potential lies without Rae.
Yes yes and yes 🎯

We played better overall than the last game and again showed some grit, but some things are painfully obvious...
Our 3 pt shooting sucks.
Our FT shooting sucks.
Horston never has been and never will be a PG...she doesn't have the handles or the right mentality...was this a new record for TO's by one player? She shouldn't be playing PG when Walker or Miles are on the floor.
Some players have a non-existent basketball IQ.

IOW, different cast, same problems as last year. KJH has a lot of work ahead of her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012
I wasn’t able to watch the game tonight, curious if we looked better than when we played Southern Illinois?

I wasn’t able to watch the game tonight, curious if we looked better than when we played Southern Illinois?
well last game we had Burrell for 18 minutes and she gave us 12 points on efficient shooting and this time 0 minutesand against a better opponent so I’d say better but the turnovers yes are a problem but was against the # 1 scoring defense

And there is your UConn HC in waiting.
She has a weak team just backs up the point that nobody starts out winning when they first begin. You can look at all the coaches that are huge successes today and their firs three or four seasons were fairly ugly. It take four or five season before you can determine if a coach is getting done.

She has a weak team just backs up the point that nobody starts out winning when they first begin. You can look at all the coaches that are huge successes today and their firs three or four seasons were fairly ugly. It take four or five season before you can determine if a coach is getting done.
Well now you’re being all rational when I was having fun! Killjoy!😂

VN Store

Back