Schedule
UT Game Notes (PDF)

UCF

Roster
Schedule
UCF Game Notes (PDF)

Go Lady Vols

Last edited:
Excited for this contest. Hopefully the freshman got their toes wet and will be ready to go tomorrow. Miles is looking great and I expect her to play a fair bit. Puckett looks like she’ll settle in and start giving us a little more production. Wynn can defend but she’s a little excited on offense still, feet are moving faster than her brain sometimes. She played some good defense at times yesterday though.

Striplin may not play as much as I thought she might this season. Things don’t seem to flow quite as well when she’s in. The pace of the game is still a little fast for her. I think the difference in classification she and Sarah played in is the main difference there. Karoline seems to be having a little trouble with the speed of the game. A lot of interior passes she made in high school are getting intercepted at this level, will need to adjust a bit.

I’m hopeful Horston will play and will be 100% I fear if she is out again and we’re down Rae it could get ugly. We are going to need her play making ability to go along with Alexus.
They have a very veteran team and are well coached. Lots of 5th year players and seniors. Only a couple underclassmen at all.

We will need to control the boards they only had a ~3 board margin last season. We aren’t going to get many calls being on the road so Tamari is going to have to play smarter. Can’t pickup any silly, early fouls. We need to have her on the floor about 30 minutes tomorrow night to be victorious. She totally changes things defensively when she’s in the game. She could score 0 points and still be a massive asset due to what she brings on the other end and how teams respond to her size (not well lol).

This is a good and experienced opponent. Ranked 49 last year by HH with a 16-5 record. They return all their starters, 4 seniors and a junior. The junior, Lewis, and super-senior, Sanders, are their best all around players. Both are guards. Lewis is the only deadly 3pt shooter; Sanders is more often inside the arc. All five starters average really close to 10 points per game. The PG, Battles appears, to be a low percentage volume shooter but on defense she had 50 steals in 21 games last year. Both forwards are capable and 6-3. Last year there was a major dropoff when they went to their bench. Destiny Thomas, a shot blocker, is first off the bench. Ahna Burney is the first guard sub in and is a respectable ballplayer.

We'll need to knock down some threes (33% or better).
Key has to stay out of foul trouble.
Defense, rebound, fastbreak.

I don’t have a good feeling about this one. UCF is a much better team than SIU.

I don’t have a good feeling about this one. UCF is a much better team than SIU.
They are, but like this past game, it will hinge on Tamari Key. If she's on the court for 25-30 minutes, they win; if she's limited to 15 min because of silly fouls, then they lose.

UCF is not a prolific scoring team. Unless they get hot from the arc (35% as a team; not great, but not horrible either), then Tennessee should win even if they are offensively challenged themselves...as long as Key is in the game to disrupt their offensive flow.

Almost need a thread on status of the injured. We gotta score more from the free throw line. Ladies seemed to be really tight at the start. The number of air balls, balls passed into space, and just ball handling errors plus the missed free throws was a real warning sign of bad things to come if not corrected. I was impressed with the turn around and win. Hope we can do that again at UCF. Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Almost need a thread on status of the injured.

Be careful or some idiot will start one and the only info we will get is nothing from those that know and speculation from those that don't. Hopefully posters will respect the privacy of the player. When she is ready to tell us, I'm sure she will.

They did not play well. The saying "played like the first game of the season " was never meant to be complimentary. Lots of adversity to deal with. Players stepped up. Everyone needs to disregard those drive by Nega's who only show up to throw shade. If the team is playing the same way in December, worry may be warranted. I don't think that will happen.

coach jumper's comments from last year following the first game:

Keep in mind that no one knows the health of these players...i mean up until,,, @GameTime (pun intended)
we had no idea Tess wouldn't play and we don't know if there are any lingering off-season issues for the others.

Just as I am not going to jump on the first game bandwagon for Marta/Destiny/Jo,,, nor am I convinced Rae has fully exorcised her control-demons and I am also not going to judge the veterans on one game. We won...we had things we did good and things we didn't do so good. we had some shining players and they freed Emily for a few minutes

Lets take this thing one "Game (at a) Time"

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020

Reactions: StrangeVol
Didn’t know in the game vs S.Illinois we committed the fewest turnovers in the Kellie Harper Era
Recorded turnovers yes missing 13 threes in a row count the same as a turnover as far as winning the game. Three point shooting is going to kill us this year if we can't hit five or six a game. We can't keep taking them if we not going to make that many just need to work for a better shot.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Recorded turnovers yes missing 13 threes in a row count the same as a turnover as far as winning the game. Three point shooting is going to kill us this year if we can't hit five or six a game. We can't keep taking them if we not going to make that many just need to work for a better shot.
It doesn’t help that our best 3 pt shooter Rae is out need Tess and the others to step up😖 and Alexus has not attempted a 3 pt shot yet

It doesn’t help that our best 3 pt shooter Rae is out need Tess and the others to step up😖 and Alexus has not attempted a 3 pt shot yet
Total killer because Tess is proving to be inconsistent at best. Horston good for about 30 percent which is ok that is at least making one occasionally. I think Puckett is probably good for 35 percent when she gets it all going with believing she belongs here. Walker about 30 percent. Tess and Rennie called three point shooters thus far are 0 for 6 and that just don't happen to a three point shooter. Another game today sure Tess will play some has to make the shot if she get three or four chances today. I can see giving her 10 to 15 minutes if she can prove reliable in making a couple of threes a game. Defensively didn't play well against SIU. I'm all for her coming off the bench and Puckett getting the start for Burrell. I think we need to go Puckett, Dye, Key, Horston, and Walker. Off the bench with Green, Miles, Wynn, Striplin, and Darby.

Total killer because Tess is proving to be inconsistent at best. Horston good for about 30 percent which is ok that is at least making one occasionally. I think Puckett is probably good for 35 percent when she gets it all going with believing she belongs here. Walker about 30 percent. Tess and Rennie called three point shooters thus far are 0 for 6 and that just don't happen to a three point shooter. Another game today sure Tess will play some has to make the shot if she get three or four chances today. I can see giving her 10 to 15 minutes if she can prove reliable in making a couple of threes a game. Defensively didn't play well against SIU. I'm all for her coming off the bench and Puckett getting the start for Burrell. I think we need to go Puckett, Dye, Key, Horston, and Walker. Off the bench with Green, Miles, Wynn, Striplin, and Darby.
Yes definitely no reason why Tess is getting the start over Sara especially when Tess is ice cold from the field and Sara is a much better defender unlike Jessie Tess will have a game where she will hit many 3 pointers

Yes definitely no reason why Tess is getting the start over Sara especially when Tess is ice cold from the field and Sara is a much better defender unlike Jessie Tess will have a game where she will hit many 3 pointers
We need it today a game I had this game penciled in as a win is looking shaky to me. Hopefully the terrible play against SIU will make the team play a better game today that sometimes happens after you played like we did in game one. Another team with a bunch of returning fifth year players and top seven or eight all upperclassmen.

VN Store

Back