Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

We need it today a game I had this game penciled in as a win is looking shaky to me. Hopefully the terrible play against SIU will make the team play a better game today that sometimes happens after you played like we did in game one. Another team with a bunch of returning fifth year players and top seven or eight all upperclassmen.
True, another experienced team.
Massey has UCF ranked #52, compared to SIU being #126, with the LV's a 2 point favorite.
On the road, this will be a tough, low scoring game. A win by 10+ points, without Burrell, would be quite an accomplishment. I'm eager to see who steps up their game to meet the challenge.

Regardless of Rae being present in the game or not, we need someone to step up. Tamari Key will need to establish herself, and quit getting silly fouls. She’s going to have to be smarter than that. She’s a junior now, not a freshman. I expect Alexus Dye to give us a strong outing like she did the first game. I’m looking for her to get that double double. Our post presence will open up the floor if we establish it early. Go Vols!

Regardless of Rae being present in the game or not, we need someone to step up. Tamari Key will need to establish herself, and quit getting silly fouls. She’s going to have to be smarter than that. She’s a junior now, not a freshman. I expect Alexus Dye to give us a strong outing like she did the first game. I’m looking for her to get that double double. Our post presence will open up the floor if we establish it early. Go Vols!
Still got plenty of firepower if players can stay out of foul trouble and make plays. Three point game almost non-existent with the loss of Burrell until some player proves they can make them. The packed in zone coming teams saying make the three if you can.

Recorded turnovers yes missing 13 threes in a row count the same as a turnover as far as winning the game. Three point shooting is going to kill us this year if we can't hit five or six a game. We can't keep taking them if we not going to make that many just need to work for a better shot.

Nope, wrong attitude. It's the kind of thinking that got Holly in trouble. "Welp, you missed 2 shots, don't you dare take anymore."

Didn’t know in the game vs S.Illinois we committed the fewest turnovers in the Kellie Harper Era
That was good to see but it’s not like SIU was pressing us much. I’ll wait to see the turnover numbers vs better teams that press before I believe they’ve truly turned a corner in that regard. Also they still only scored 59 points on a lower tier Missouri Valley team despite the low turnovers. So there are still other pervasive concerns about the offensive end that haven’t been addressed by this team yet.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I wish Dye would step out to the 3 point line instead of taking so many jump shots 2-3 feet inside the line (looking at Walker and Horston on this as well). If I coached a basketball team we would never take 2 point shots longer than 15 feet. Those are the worst shots you can take in basketball.

True, another experienced team.
Massey has UCF ranked #52, compared to SIU being #126, with the LV's a 2 point favorite.
On the road, this will be a tough, low scoring game. A win by 10+ points, without Burrell, would be quite an accomplishment. I'm eager to see who steps up their game to meet the challenge.

Dye and Jordy will be active

I wish Dye would step out to the 3 point line instead of taking so many jump shots 2-3 feet inside the line (looking at Walker and Horston on this as well). If I coached a basketball team we would never take 2 point shots longer than 15 feet. Those are the worst shots you can take in basketball.
Not if you can routinely make them from that spot, but the extra few feet to 3-pt land makes a huge difference. Jantel Lavender from the sparks was like that. She was money on jump shots from a few feet inside the arc, but couldn't hit a 3-pointer to save her life.

Looking at Walker/Horston's shooting % from deep, they're better off taking the closer shot, and we know that Dye has a very reliable jumper from probably 17 feet in.

We had to have those two dagger threes in the fourth to beat SIU. I'm glad they had the confidence to keep shooting after an 0-12 start.

Kellie:

On the performance from Brooklynn Miles and Sara Puckett
"I'll tell you; I am not so certain that we don't win because of Sara's three and the two she followed it up with. That was a big bucket. Being a freshman, she may not even know how big of a bucket that was, even though I did tell her after the game. I thought that was huge. She is a kid in practice that when she shoots it, I think it is going in every time.

I like Tess and Jessie, but they are on the team for one reason and that is supposed to be their 3 point shooting ability. Not defense, ball handling, etc. I’m not ready to give up on them but at some point they either have to do their job or face staying on the bench or transferring.
That is why they can't go 0 for 6 very often. One game happens to everybody, but they are supposed to be able to go at least 35 percent so time to hit a few if they play today.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
If I'm the UCF coach, I'm going to throw a zone at the LV's all night long unless they shoot me out of it. Given how we shot them last game and now without our best 3 pt shooter, I gotta like the odds that they won't.

That gives CKH three basic choices:

1) try to shoot the three and see if we can make enough to take them out of it. That lineup would be Walker/Rennie/Darby/Puckett//Horston
2) go small and fast and try to beat them down the floor before they can set up the zone: Miles/Walker/Wynn/Dye/Horston
3) go big and pound it into the zone anyway: Walker/Horston//Dye/Green/Key

i'm guessing CKH will go with 3 and hope Walker, Horston, and Puckett can hit some threes as well.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
If I'm the UCF coach, I'm going to throw a zone at the LV's all night long unless they shoot me out of it. Given how we shot them last game and now without our best 3 pt shooter, I gotta like the odds that they won't.

That gives CKH three basic choices:

1) try to shoot the three and see if we can make enough to take them out of it. That lineup would be Walker/Rennie/Darby/Puckett//Horston
2) go small and fast and try to beat them down the floor before they can set up the zone: Miles/Walker/Wynn/Dye/Horston
3) go big and pound it into the zone anyway: Walker/Horston//Dye/Green/Key

i'm guessing CKH will go with 3 and hope Walker, Horston, and Puckett can hit some threes as well.

I hope you're right, because options #1 and #2 are frightening. No proven scorers...especially #1. Tennessee's advantage game in/game out is how disruptive Key is on the defensive end. Take that away, and you're making life easier for UCF with the ball while taking away the closest thing you have to an easy bucket against a strong defensive team.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I hope you're right, because options #1 and #2 are frightening. No proven scorers...especially #1. Tennessee's advantage game in/game out is how disruptive Key is on the defensive end. Take that away, and you're making life easier for UCF with the ball while taking away the closest thing you have to an easy bucket against a strong defensive team.

I hope that's exactly what UCF does (zone us). The team has to be able to defeat zone defenses if they are going to contend for anything. We have shooters. Hopefully everyone is composed now and can focus on the issues at hand. We cannot be a one person show on offense.

I have no idea how this game will play out for us offensively. I do believe defensively we can hold them under 60. The outcome will be determined whether we can score over 60. I believe if Horston is back and Key stays out of foul trouble we can score that many.

Agreed, and our bench is more suited to #3, as well, given Puckett and Striplin are both down-low bangers.

I agree i have watch UCF many times even when they played UConn, They are not a very good shooting team they turn you over a lot with there pressure man to man defense. The smart thing UCF to do is make Key beat you on the offensive end. Right now with Key not being a real offensive threat i think that`s UCF best option ?. Don`t get me wrong Key has the skills and talent but has not learn how to master them on the offensive end yet.

I agree i have watch UCF many times even when they played UConn, They are not a very good shooting team they turn you over a lot with there pressure man to man defense. The smart thing UCF to do is make Key beat you on the offensive end. Right now with Key not being a real offensive threat i think that`s UCF best option ?. Don`t get me wrong Key has the skills and talent but has not learn how to master them on the offensive end yet.
They don't have the size to guard Tamari 1-on-1. If she gets the ball in scoring position, they will have to double her. They're better off denying her the ball and daring the LVs to shoot from outside until they make enough of them to force a change in strategy. You bring up a good point about their pressure defense. They will bring a stingier and more athletic defense than SI did. Walker is not a natural PG and Miles is a freshman. This will be a very good test for them against quality defensive-minded guards.

VN Store

Back