Game Thread: (12/8) Lady Vols 53 - (1/1) South Carolina 67

My bad….my brain took a nap..

You aren’t the only; also GREAT GAME! I love my Vols but I love what’s going on in Gamecock land. Great team with a great future. When our recruiting gets on point; we’re going to have some battles in the future for sure. While Boston gets a ton of credit; the supporting cast are also stars in their own right.

Beal should be on the NDPOY watchlist and it’s a travesty that she isn’t.

Reactions: tchristensen22
Yes,and the announcers never mentioned that did they?

It felt like they were intimidated by the sellout crowd and felt pressure to adorn USCe with unbridled kudos. They may just write it off as they were doing their due diligence in promoting the game and their target audience was with the #1team. Seems that's how it is with National media in Sports, it's good to be King. We will be back.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It felt like they were intimidated by the sellout crowd and felt pressure to adorn USCe with unbridled kudos. They may just write it off as they were doing their due diligence in promoting the game and their target audience was with the #1team. Seems that's how it is with National media in Sports, it's good to be King. We will be back.

It was also the biggest game after they’ve really been subpar in their coverage of Aliyah Boston.

I would love to get some evidence of what you are arguing here. Sure it’s hard to compete against top tier players when you just lost your top player and another valued player. Don’t forget they were 19-1 before those injuries and that was with Rae being out 12 games.
“More Focused on woke issues”?? Give us the facts that support that. program has fallen? From when— when Pat was here? Agreed but Kellie has started to return it.
Give us the basis for your comments.
18-1 before injuries.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
I believe Horston would have made the difference in this SC loss. The LVs starter scored 47 points as opposed to SC starters' 49 points. Their bench scored 18 points and the LVs bench 6 points. The 2 teams were practically even in terms of turnovers and scoring percentage. Rebounds would have been closer with Horston in the lineup. Final score would have been 64-62 in favor of LVs. IMHO

USC did to us what we've been doing to other teams, beat us on the boards (by a lot). I think having a healthy Jordan gives this game a much different feel. Whether the outcome would have changed is anyones best guess. I tell ya, this USC team wins all their games but there have been a lot of close scores. Just sayin'

If you look at the game stats, going 1 of 10 from the 3 didn't help. Most stats show a fairly even game but for rebounding and transition offense. Way too many offensive boards and fast break points (especially when we didn't have any fast break points).

Overall, having lost Jordan a few days earlier, then going to the land of the Chicken to face a really good team, they played well. I was proud of them for battling each quarter. I thought getting (big-time) game time for our youngun's was a big benefit of this game. We're battling confidence issues, both team and fans. We've been hit by at least 4 "knockout-caliber" punches this year and how they've handled things has been extraordinary given circumstances.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Good, Saunders is in foul trouble now so they have to bench her. She’s given up 6 straight points.
Every game that we have brought Saunders in before halftime it seems we have lost this season, beginning with the Auburn game. It seems to be an automatic 6-8 points for the other team and has shifted momentum every time. The commentators even called it out today. SMH.

Reactions: dapeak
Every game that we have brought Saunders in before halftime it seems we have lost this season, beginning with the Auburn game. It seems to be an automatic 6-8 points for the other team and has shifted momentum every time. The commentators even called it out today. SMH.

Do you believe it is because Emily plays poorly or because of something else?

Miles is fearless and she's really willing to get after senior opponents. Striplin needs a lot of seasoning, but she didn't back down from their big guns inside.

Really loved the ❤ our ladies showed. Sell out crowd, big stage, questionable calls, emotions high...and still never backed down.

Props to Gamecocks for playing hard and doing the hard work to pull away. This game could really help prepare us to finish out the season fighting hard. Certainly looked more like the team we knew in the first half of the season.

Last edited:
Do you believe it is because Emily plays poorly or because of something else?
The speed of the game seems too fast for her at this level and our opponents go right at her. It has happened over and over again since the Keyan Green injury. We have seen her early in games. I guess you can't teach 6-5, but if 6-5 can't move her feet or cut off driving lanes then she becomes the obvious player get to the rim against. I think Striplin would be the better option with a much higher upside and much better mobility.

Maybe our ladies figured "What the heck, what else can go wrong? Might as well go for broke" and that attitude helped keep them loose.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The speed of the game seems too fast for her at this level and our opponents go right at her. It has happened over and over again since the Keyan Green injury. We have seen her early in games. I guess you can't teach 6-5, but if 6-5 can't move her feet or cut off driving lanes then she becomes the obvious player get to the rim against. I think Striplin would be the better option with a much higher upside and much better mobility.

She has average speed for a 6'5" post. She was playing against the player of the year today. I don't think I would judge her on this game. She has game but sometimes gets put in situations that don't play to her strengths. I believe she is a great teammate and fulfills her role. She will never be a Boston or Candace but then, who is. What she does with her minutes will determine playing time. I'm sure this is apparent to her.

Dak, your assessment of Emily's status seems very fair. We all want to see her make a big leap forward, and the off-season could still produce the improvement needed to become a solid contributor. She needs to be able to slide and cut off the baseline and not just play straight up (although top players such as Boston will just shoot over her or spin inside). Very few players, reserve or starters, can handle SC's front line, but Em needs to be able to provide solid minutes against more average post players to prevent wear and tear on Key. Emily also seems unsure of her role on offense at times, although she's trying to set screens.

I feel that COVID interruptions hampered Emily's progress perhaps more than others. We'll just have to wait to see how she progresses and be encouraging. It would be great to see her and Jessie have a productive senior season and some memorable moments. Players know that competition for PT requires dedication to improvement and that the most ready to play will see the court first.

What jumps out the loudest is the discrepancies in rebounds and fast break points, which are of course related.

Yep. They had 13 more shots and 14 more offensive rebounds. Couple that with those fast break points and it equaled too big of a deficit. Hated to lose the rebounding stat. Could have used Jordans production average (scoring =16.4 ppg, rebounding = 9.6, assists = 3.9 and steals = 1.4) today.

VN Store

Back