Game Thread: (12/8) Lady Vols 53 - (1/1) South Carolina 67

I know but if you play tentative the results are usually just as bad. We have to get out of this situation by next season. Key deserves some help inside so she can play her game way to often she needed to play defensively and several were losses.
👌🏾

Reactions: Lucy
Lady Volunteers gave a hell of an effort today.
I know some of your fans are complaining but, when you take into consideration that your best starter and best reserve did not play, Tennessee fans should be proud of the effort given today. You made SC look like a normal team instead of a super team.

I hate moral victories. I think that lowers the standard of our expectation of winning. That said, however, I watched the first half, this team competed and with a few added pieces is just as good or even better than SC. We match up well with this squad. We need more production from our bench. Specifically guard play has to be better down the stretch. Jordan did well today. I need her to have a little bit more composure on offense. She should control the pace of game. She should control our offense. She is the floor general.

Having both Jordan and Miles in the game makes us so much quicker, and fiestier. I absolutely love that. We can guard anybody. I want to see them both get into the lane and go to basket. Work on creating their own shot. That corner 3 is always open. For the rest of the squad.
No one can be a liability when their number is called. Everyone counts. When you step on the court you are expected to compete. You are expected to score. You are expected to defend. You are expected to rebound. No excuses. I don’t care about rankings. Lady vols have always been known as a tough and physical team to play. Let’s get back to that before the new season starts in the SEC tournament

Mississippi State is another "must-win" situation --- a win virtually cements an SEC tournament bye
A win or an Ole Miss loss would make us the number four seed. Then a win over LSU makes us the number three seed and three way tie for second in the SEC. We lose either game we finish fourth or fifth more likely fourth don't see Ole Miss beating SC.

I try not to visit often anymore because of the hostilities that have popped up the last few years here towards Gamecock fans and Dawn in particular. I will say that the Lady Vols did very well in a game that saw them shorthanded. I think they will do well in both tournaments because even shorthanded they are better than most teams that will make the NCAA tournament. Stay safe.....

I try not to visit often anymore because of the hostilities that have popped up the last few years here towards Gamecock fans and Dawn in particular. I will say that the Lady Vols did very well in a game that saw them shorthanded. I think they will do well in both tournaments because even shorthanded they are better than most teams that will make the NCAA tournament. Stay safe.....
Centered, outside perspective seems generally welcomed, imho. Thank you for your blessing and good luck in the tournaments.

Yep. They had 13 more shots and 14 more offensive rebounds. Couple that with those fast break points and it equaled too big of a deficit. Hated to lose the rebounding stat. Could have used Jordans production average (scoring =16.4 ppg, rebounding = 9.6, assists = 3.9 and steals = 1.4) today.

Without Keyen Green, I don't think we win this game, even if we had Jordan. But if we had both of those for this game, we very well could have won it.

Centered, outside perspective seems generally welcomed, imho. Thank you for your blessing and good luck in the tournaments.
You’re too nice, notice he did not wish us well in the tournaments, just “stay safe.” Saw no blessing. He said, “Think they will do well,” not hope they will do well. 🙂

Last edited:
You’re too nice, notice he did not wish us well in the tournaments, just “stay safe.” Saw no blessing. He said, “Think they will do well,” not hope they will do well.
I’m willing to cut an outsider a little grammatical slack. I generally post using the compositional skills I have and occasionally find them lacking. I also didn’t recognize the username. I’ve only, within the past two years, become more active at this site. They have been around since 2008, with few posts.

I’m willing to cut an outsider a little grammatical slack. I generally post using the compositional skills I have and occasionally find them lacking. I also didn’t recognize the username. I’ve only, within the past two years, become more active at this site. They have been around since 2008, with few posts.
He made a nice comment, guess I’m not feeling very good sportsmanlike today.

Oh great, first a sc fan, now a uconn fan chipping in.

How do you know this? Do you have inside information? No offense intended....just trying to understand....

My concern based on importance of someone stepping up in the final remaining 2 reg season games & a tournament(s) desire to win min 2 games each with a depleted roster. It was based on a review of below link after JH went down, plus factoring in an individual's potential floor time and previously exhibited demeanor.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

Some have given their thoughts... it will be interesting to see what unfolds

I hate moral victories. I think that lowers the standard of our expectation of winning. That said, however, I watched the first half, this team competed and with a few added pieces is just as good or even better than SC. We match up well with this squad. We need more production from our bench. Specifically guard play has to be better down the stretch. Jordan did well today. I need her to have a little bit more composure on offense. She should control the pace of game. She should control our offense. She is the floor general.

Sometimes the moral victory is something to build on. Honestly, this game could have been so much worse. Not only did the LVs have very little time to adjust to Jordan's absence but Key had some foul issues. And yet, Boston did not destroy us. The defensive effort was exceptional. SC did dominate the boards but it sure seemed like the refs were willing to let SC get away with more contact than the LVs.

But, the LVs got a lot of defensive stops and had more than a few good looks at the basket, Their inability to shoot with any consistency is, for me, the most frustrating aspect of the team,. Just hit the open jumper and then you can set your defense (and not pick up fouls going for the offensive rebound. ahem see comment above).

I found it interesting when the commentators stated that Rae is still feeling inhibited by her knee injury. She had so many shots there were just slightly off. If her shooting % had been higher, and she scored 25 to 30 pt. (well within her last season's capacity) this could have been a game.

But the next two games are the real test. Can the LVs maintain that level of defensive effort and make some shots? If yes, they can finish on a pair of wins going into the SEC tournament.

On a bright note, I thought Wynn looked much better on the court than she has in her other SEC appearances. Maybe she will be able to step up.

Last edited:
Also, as for the rebound disparity, there seemed to me to be a lot more than usual "lucky bounce" boards that went South Carolina's way yesterday. Sometimes those do happen, and I remember thinking many times yesterday, "REALLY? Can the ball EVER go our way!?"

Not to suggest that was the only reason, but that was a reason for quite a few rebounds we missed out on getting.

A day later and I'm still extremely proud of the way the Lady Vols competed with the No.1 team in the country with the presumed future NPOY.

Tess looked like she is stepping up in a leadership role as well

Keyen had been in that role. Then Jordan had evolved into that role. I am not surprised that in the first game after Jordan's injury that there was a leadership void. Perhaps Tess might be able to assume the role but I also think Rae is the more likely candidate (or Key).

Last edited:
Keyen had been in that role. Then Jordan had evolved into that role. I am not surprised that in the first game after Jordan's injury that there was a leadership void. Perhaps might be able to assume the role but I also think Rae is the more likely candidate (or Key).

I was thinking yesterday that Kellie putting Rae before the cameras for the post-game presser may have been a signal who she hopes will assume the floor leader role. We'll see.

I'm afraid that may never be a role Key would be comfortable playing. While she's had fleeting moments of 'tude on the floor -- reeeeeaaaaally fleeting -- overall she appears to be pretty passive. Oh how I would love for Tamari to have her physical gifts but have Nicky Anosike's hard-nosed leadership abilities. How cool would that be!? 😲

VN Store

Back