Game Thread: (11) Lady Vols 67 - (12) Indiana 79

As for next season KJH has no choice other then hit the portal, And if this team wants to be competitive in the SEC they will need to bring in an experienced post player i think.
Probably true, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see some players move on after this season depending on how the team changes with portal additions for next year

Probably true, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see some players move on after this season depending on how the team changes with portal additions for next year
I think you are right, but if they can't play to the level that they can't find playing time now they may need a milder setting. Not like the opportunity is not there and evidently a few can't take advantage of it.

And so the spiral feeds itself. High school kids will see past high school recruits pushed aside by portal imports, and will be less likely to come to UT, causing an ongoing need for players from the portal.

And so the spiral feeds itself. High school kids will see past high school recruits pushed aside by portal imports, and will be less likely to come to UT, causing an ongoing need for players from the portal.
Certainly a problem as I think what the coaches were trying to do was recruit the top 25 players this season and no one else and it didn't work out. Now you have a class that you recruited couple years ago and we don't see many of them being able to play as sophomores. Not a good look, but getting the top players is the only way to be a top team and I agree we can't portal forever. At least 2025 has started out great if we don't fail between now and then.

Yes. And only the shooters see the complete picture all at once since they are the only ones with a full, direct view from themselves to the basket to know which side of the goal the shot is most likely to bounce off of. That's why it is imperative that shooters follow their shots. They know best where it's likely to bounce, the soonest.

I am in a different school of thought here....Following your shot is an "internal switch" and a right-then-decision. And after coaching this and experiencing this personally my school of thought is different.

when I shoot the ball, upon the release of the shot and the finish of the goose-neck,,,an internal trigger happens inside of me that tells me everything went smoothly or "oh crap it's offline".

If you follow your shot in a timely manor, you have to not finish your follow-through,,,and if you do that you will shoot short.

I don't want my gunner shooting "wondering"...they have to shoot "knowing"
upon release of their shot,,,they know which ones to chase

I think you are right, but if they can't play to the level that they can't find playing time now they may need a milder setting. Not like the opportunity is not there and evidently a few can't take advantage of it.
I agree that it is competitive and ultimately the players have to show out. But let's be honest...it must have stung for Sara and Brooklyn to get recruited over in the portal when both of them had promising rookie seasons. There's no doubt in my mind that Rickea and Jasmine P. are upgrades at their positions, but that couldn't have felt good. Striplin was probably thinking that she'd have an opportunity to get some developmental time in games only to see Franklin and Hollinshead appear ahead of her. If you want to talk about negative recruiting, it will be really easy for other teams to say, "Yeah, Tennessee is just going to recruit over you in the portal". That's why the portal is a both a blessing and a curse; you run the risk of really destabilizing your HS recruitment pipeline if you use that as your primary source.

Certainly a problem as I think what the coaches were trying to do was recruit the top 25 players this season and no one else and it didn't work out.

There's some truth to that, but looking at the offer list...there were a lot of non-top 25 players that choose other schools for a variety of reasons. Understanding what makes Tennessee unappealing to a wide range of players (positions, geographic locations, HS ratings) would be a good start in figuring out how to make 2024 more successful.

2023 offers (with ESPN ranking)

1. Cori Allen (93) To Illinois
2. Kamorea Arnold (6) To UCONN
3. Lenee Beaumont (83) To Indiana
4. Madison Booker (12) To Texas
5. Chloe Clardy (39) To Stanford
6. Essence Cody (22) To Alabama
7. Mallory Collier (55) To NC State
8. Aalyah Del Rosario (7) To LSU
9. Montaya Dew (8) To Arizona
10. Jadyn Donovan (3) To Duke
11. Hawa Doumbouya To Maryland
12. Jada Harrison To Middle TN State
13. Kymora Johnson (24) To Virginia
14. Alyssa Latham (72) To Syracuse
15. Olivia McGhee (45) To Virginia
16. S'Mya Nichols (34) To Kansas
17. Emma Risch (20) To Notre Dame
18. Qadence Samuels (41) To UCONN
19. Taliah Scott (11) To Arkansas
20. Ashlyn Shade (15) To UCONN
21. Delaney Thomas (29) To Duke
22. Angelica Velez (44) To LSU
23. Mikaylah Williams (2) To LSU
24. Sole Williams (51) To Tx A&M

I agree that it is competitive and ultimately the players have to show out. But let's be honest...it must have stung for Sara and Brooklyn to get recruited over in the portal when both of them had promising rookie seasons. There's no doubt in my mind that Rickea and Jasmine P. are upgrades at their positions, but that couldn't have felt good. Striplin was probably thinking that she'd have an opportunity to get some developmental time in games only to see Franklin and Hollinshead appear ahead of her. If you want to talk about negative recruiting, it will be really easy for other teams to say, "Yeah, Tennessee is just going to recruit over you in the portal". That's why the portal is a both a blessing and a curse; you run the risk of really destabilizing your HS recruitment pipeline if you use that as your primary source.
I don't know what the deal is but no way Sarah could play 20 minutes a game last season and do what she did and suddenly can't see the floor especially the way some of the ones that are playing a lot are performing. Should still be the sixth man like last season. Looks like Miles has found her way back in when she got the opportunity against UMass. I know she may have thought she was going to be the starter this season and there may be teams where she could get there probably want ever get there at Tennessee. Striplin and Wynn probably need to transfer they aren't playing any type significant role this season and maybe never.

Might be smart of Striplin to enter transfer portal because I do not think she has used up a year of eligibility this year yet.
In regards to Jon I am not sure Kellie could function at all without him because she looks to him for support so often. Not saying that is a good thing but it seems to be reality

I am in a different school of thought here....Following your shot is an "internal switch" and a right-then-decision. And after coaching this and experiencing this personally my school of thought is different.

when I shoot the ball, upon the release of the shot and the finish of the goose-neck,,,an internal trigger happens inside of me that tells me everything went smoothly or "oh crap it's offline".

If you follow your shot in a timely manor, you have to not finish your follow-through,,,and if you do that you will shoot short.

I don't want my gunner shooting "wondering"...they have to shoot "knowing"
upon release of their shot,,,they know which ones to chase

Gonna have to disagree with you as a former player. There is plenty of time between the moment the ball leaves the fingertips>the follow-through>feet hit the floor for the shooter to be able to know sooner than anyone else on the floor where the ball might be headed, so the shooter should go toward that area. Always. There is usually at least one other player who is free to leak back ahead of any fast-break situation that develops if the opposition gets the board.

I don't know what the deal is but no way Sarah could play 20 minutes a game last season and do what she did and suddenly can't see the floor especially the way some of the ones that are playing a lot are performing. Should still be the sixth man like last season. Looks like Miles has found her way back in when she got the opportunity against UMass. I know she may have thought she was going to be the starter this season and there may be teams where she could get there probably want ever get there at Tennessee. Striplin and Wynn probably need to transfer they aren't playing any type significant role this season and maybe never.
Wynn and Striplin (along with Miles and Puckett) will have ample playing time opportunities next season as the roster stands today. It all hinges on who Kellie goes after via the portal. I guess the question for her is does she want to accept that next year will be a rebuilding year and use it to develop her recruits, stabilize recruiting and go all in for 2024, or does she try to keep Tennessee as a contender and go for the biggest names in the portal at the risk of transfers out and having to do the same thing in 2024. Not an easy call.

Wynn and Striplin (along with Miles and Puckett) will have ample playing time opportunities next season as the roster stands today. It all hinges on who Kellie goes after via the portal. I guess the question for her is does she want to accept that next year will be a rebuilding year and use it to develop her recruits, stabilize recruiting and go all in for 2024, or does she try to keep Tennessee as a contender and go for the biggest names in the portal at the risk of transfers out and having to do the same thing in 2024. Not an easy call.
Maybe Miles and Puckett don't know about the other two as I am looking for them again to get recruited over then you have to deal with the returnees Hollingshead, Powell, Pissott, and Suarez. I'm still not certain that Key may not return for a covid year since she is not listed in the first round on the last draft I saw. I know she probably will leave but her NIL money is one of the best on the team so there is a chance she could return. So if you go out in the portal for four that is still ten for sure maybe more that may be ahead of you. Plus if Tennessee doesn't get two or three excellent players in the portal the team will really look suspect.

Wynn and Striplin (along with Miles and Puckett) will have ample playing time opportunities next season as the roster stands today.

One of the biggest early season disappointments IMO is how little this class has improved from their first season. And I know Marta is coming off an injury redshirt, but I would throw her in there as well. I don't know if it's the players not putting in the work in the offseason, or the coaches failing to develop them, or a combination, but they look like the exact same players they were last year. You can say Kellie recruited over them... but frankly, if they have the talent they're supposed to have they should be pushing the veterans for playing time (with competition making the whole team better). At this point I'm not seeing any reason they should be getting those minutes...

One of the biggest early season disappointments IMO is how little this class has improved from their first season. And I know Marta is coming off an injury redshirt, but I would throw her in there as well. I don't know if it's the players not putting in the work in the offseason, or the coaches failing to develop them, or a combination, but they look like the exact same players they were last year. You can say Kellie recruited over them... but frankly, if they have the talent they're supposed to have they should be pushing the veterans for playing time (with competition making the whole team better). At this point I'm not seeing any reason they should be getting those minutes...
Well honestly we barely get to see them anyways due to the substitution pattern. Hell with such a small sample size, we don’t really know if they’ve improved or not.

Yeah but she has not performed like she did her freshmen year was the point , especially against us when she played at MSST and burned us big time right here in the Knox.
Not making any excuse for her but i do believe shes still trying to adjust to this team which have alot of talent on it, people need to understand she was a great player on a bad team, out playing one on one basketball playing defense when she wanted to i do believe she needs time to get out of bad habits

Well honestly we barely get to see them anyways due to the substitution pattern. Hell with such a small sample size, we don’t really know if they’ve improved or not.
Exactly. I haven't really seen enough continuous playing time, especially of Puckett, to really judge if she's better or not. It's so hard for them to be productive in such short bursts of playing time. Never get comfortable. We have 4-5 players who just need to play for long stretches, but there's not enough minutes to make that happen.

If you want to talk about negative recruiting, it will be really easy for other teams to say, "Yeah, Tennessee is just going to recruit over you in the portal". That's why the portal is a both a blessing and a curse; you run the risk of really destabilizing your HS recruitment pipeline if you use that as your primary source.
That's true for all schools, not just Tennessee. High school recruits, as of a couple of years ago, just have it tougher all over due to the portal. It can work for them later in their careers, but it does make season to season expectations for playing time change. Tough balance for the coach. But it applies across the sport, so I don't think anyone could use it as recruiting advantage. They'll all do it and recruits know it.

Last edited:

I disagree, I've seen enough of Striplin -- in the exhibition since she can't even get off the bench in a real game -- to know she is nowhere near helping this team in the near future, if ever. Same with Wynn, who might actually have some upside with her incredible athleticism but still looks like she's never played basketball in her life. Miles is fine as a backup point guard, but she doesn't look noticeably better either and it's unlikely she will ever be more than a role player at Tennessee. Puckett is the one where a strong argument could be made, and I have no idea why she isn't getting more run as she looked fantastic in the exhibition game. But hey, who are we to question Kellie's lineup decisions...?

Last edited:

... And if they were recruited over, why are we losing games that we would have won even just last year?

If we are really trying to win games right now, there are three players getting minutes that shouldn't be getting any minutes at all.

Watched some play of Rickea at Mississippi State and see that they were always getting her the ball in the paint. She was doing a lot of posting up and receiving the pass. Here at Tennessee that is not happening for her or Jordan Horston they are both trying to create off the dribble from or beyond the free throw line. They have 23 turnovers between the two of them. Coach Harper needs to work some plays for these two closer to the basket both are much better players when they get it in the paint and not needing to create off the dribble from long distance.

That's a good point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Gonna have to disagree with you as a former player. There is plenty of time between the moment the ball leaves the fingertips>the follow-through>feet hit the floor for the shooter to be able to know sooner than anyone else on the floor where the ball might be headed, so the shooter should go toward that area. Always. There is usually at least one other player who is free to leak back ahead of any fast-break situation that develops if the opposition gets the board.

Yet another perspective: as the shooter, if you see it drifting left or right you can figure it's a miss but not be sure at all which direction it will eventually careen. In that case, you will be following your shot... to where?

The more profitable time to follow your shot (if you don't have the defensive drop back responsibility) is when it looks dead-straight -- because, if it's a hair short or long, that rebound is more likely coming right back at you.

But I've been wrong about shots before. There were several I thought for sure would get me a hug from a cheerleader.

Yet another perspective: as the shooter, if you see it drifting left or right you can figure it's a miss but not be sure at all which direction it will eventually careen. In that case, you will be following your shot... to where?

The more profitable time to follow your shot (if you don't have the defensive drop back responsibility) is when it looks dead-straight -- because, if it's a hair short or long, that rebound is more likely coming right back at you.

But I've been wrong about shots before. There were several I thought for sure would get me a hug from a cheerleader.
very good !

Even then it's still 50 50. Let's say you shoot a perfectly straight 3 from the free throw line extended so basically a 45 degree angle. Front of the front iron comes back to you, a brick off the front of the back iron comes back to you. Top of the front iron and top of the back iron carom of the back board and you've got no shot at these.

To sum it up you're exactly right. 50% is the best case scenario for knowing where to follow your miss.

As a guard, I always had the most rebounding luck from the side opposite the shot taker. Especially on 3 point shots, try to get a clean run at anything that caroms 10-15 away from the basket.

VN Store

Back