Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

I applaud Kellie for putting Franklin back in. It was the best choice based on play today. We are definitely not the team we thought we would be with an all star post. I feel horrible for TK, but in the interest of the team she needs to sit for now.
She’s needed to sit for a while.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
She should’ve never been recruited here. She adds literally nothing except 5 fouls to this team. All she is at this point is a 6’3” Jessie Rennie
Nope..
She has shown intensity through out and has had a couple of decent stat lines. You may have forgotten that she sat all last year with an injury so probably has a little rust.
Also, I do not understand the anger directed towards a young lady giving her all for your team.

I owe you an apology. It seems that the LVs had all four timeouts going down the stretch. The TV announcer said that the LVs used their last time-out when they were setting up their final in bound play so he got confused too, as apparently Kellie did. Strange.
According to some posters we get 15 timeouts a game and never use any!!!!!

Well the coach should be able to determine why she is not performing at the level desired. It is KJH’s responsibility to put the best players on the floor for positive results. That is not the players decision or responsibility. The buck stops with KJH. If I was her I would be trying to figure out how to keep my job. In the viewpoint of a good AD KJH’s job would be on the hot seat, essentially added to her lack of recruiting on the high school level. I love KJH and am a KJH fan, however, if she can’t put this train back on track she needs to be fired.
Kellie is not on the hot seat, not even a vaguely warm seat. She had a team with less talent playing great last year and it takes more than a hot minute to integrate five new players. Everyone needs to calm down. It is November. Kellie could have put together a schedule that would have us at 5-0 right now but she said she knew this would be a very challenging first month.

Holly had a higher bar than Kellie did. We were all b!tching about the fact that Holly could "only" make the E8 and were calling for her head after 2 E8s and 1 S16. Even that E8 appearance wasn't enough to make up for the crummy season because she couldn't get them to the FF. I'm by no means defending Holly because she was proven to be a poor coach, but there's no question that we're all giving Kellie a longer leash than Holly ever got, and it's disheartening that she hasn't been able to match even those lower standards.

This is a comment made before our last game by a South Carolina fan who says ‘we’ as he pretends to be a Tennessee fan, he is not. Remember who the trolls are, especially the deceitful ones, they have their own agenda.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is a comment made before our last game by a South Carolina fan who says ‘we’ as he pretends to be a Tennessee fan, he is not. Remember who the trolls are, especially the deceitful ones, they have their own agenda.
Basketball Lesson of the Day
When a team is awarded 3 points instead of 2 points for a made basket, it's not because the refs are cheating. Shots made 22 feet 1 3/4" from the basket are referred to as "3-point shots" and are worth (you guessed it) 3 points. That's actually part of the game.

Want more lessons like this? Reply to my messages or @ me.

I have much more respect for Rooster1 who posts here but doesn’t try to hide his loyalties, nor does he bash our Coach.
Hard to tell which is which really as we have so many claimed to be Lady Vol fans bashing her. Really not any worse here than on the other boards there are proclaimed Vol fans that bash Barnes on that site and Heupel's had some bashing in the past the Bama win seemed to cool that for now., but it could be back any day depending on what goes down. I used to argue it now I just let the BS ride unless my post is attacked which certainly requires a response. Otherwise let the morons post that is the freedom that the board allows and I'm fine with it being like that.

Kellie is not on the hot seat, not even a vaguely warm seat. She had a team with less talent playing great last year and it takes more than a hot minute to integrate five new players. Everyone needs to calm down. It is November. Kellie could have put together a schedule that would have us at 5-0 right now but she said she knew this would be a very challenging first month.
However,Kellie needs a big win or two. The girls need a confidence builder and soon!

Kellie is not on the hot seat, not even a vaguely warm seat.
Agree, no matter what happens this season she'll get at least a couple more years minimum unless she voluntarily steps away. Also agree she did a really good job last year.

However, if this season continues on the current path and plays out as an embarrassing, very public fail, it's going to set the program and recruiting way, way back and make those couple of next seasons extremely difficult.

So I'm hoping against hope and all current evidence that she gets the bus turned around. That would make a great story.

The TO discussion is just more curiosity about what the heck happened. Not advancing the ball helped put some things in motion but the LVs had other chance to put the game away.

But who the heck is this "We" who have to face the fact that there are problems to be fixed. Do you seriously think the coaching staff does not know that and is not working on it?
Do you want me to be honest or do you want me to lie ? I mean its clear the position you have taken on this so up to you ?

I think that is it because she was calling for one and it became a media and she did not know that.
Perhaps someone can educate me. It is my understanding that when a team-called timeout is extended to a media timeout the only difference is the length of time. The coach does not, as I understand it, get that timeout back. The reason I ask is that I have looked through the boxscore and cannot find a Tennessee timeout recorded before the 4th quarter, but I distinctly remember a Tennessee timeout in an earlier period. The reason this made such a distinct impression is that I, like many others on this board, have wondered why Kellie Harper was so seemingly reluctant to use a timeout early in a game when it appeared obvious to both me and the other arm-chair coaches on this board that one was necessary. So, if a coach does, in fact, get the timeout back, that would perhaps explain some of the misunderstandings/recollections.

That being said, I still do not understand why this seems to be such a matter of concern to so many of you on here. The Lady Vols were ahead in the game at the time in question and the opponent was in a position of having to foul to avoid the game ending by the Lady Vols running out the clock. There are some on here who seem to feel it is easier to inbound from the sideline rather than under the goal, but this argument, while possibly correct in the respect that there is no goal to deal with, fails to take into consideration that the Lady Vols had already successfully inbounded the ball on the play that is causing so much heartburn. It was after this successful inbound play that Horston was called for the travel. Now, I don't claim to be a basketball genius, but it seems to me that this fact alone negates all of the hand-wringing over the failure, if such it was, to advance the ball at that particular juncture with the possible exception that the Lady Vols may or may not have been able to successfully inbound the ball to the front court thus negating the possibility of a 10-second violation. Given the myriad of other issues that beset the team at this point which could be respectfully discussed, I am truly at a loss to understand why this particular point has taken almost 10 pages of comments in this thread.

Just my not-so-humble opinion,

Jim

Perhaps someone can educate me. It is my understanding that when a team-called timeout is extended to a media timeout the only difference is the length of time. The coach does not, as I understand it, get that timeout back. The reason I ask is that I have looked through the boxscore and cannot find a Tennessee timeout recorded before the 4th quarter, but I distinctly remember a Tennessee timeout in an earlier period. The reason this made such a distinct impression is that I, like many others on this board, have wondered why Kellie Harper was so seemingly reluctant to use a timeout early in a game when it appeared obvious to both me and the other arm-chair coaches on this board that one was necessary. So, if a coach does, in fact, get the timeout back, that would perhaps explain some of the misunderstandings/recollections.

That being said, I still do not understand why this seems to be such a matter of concern to so many of you on here. The Lady Vols were ahead in the game at the time in question and the opponent was in a position of having to foul to avoid the game ending by the Lady Vols running out the clock. There are some on here who seem to feel it is easier to inbound from the sideline rather than under the goal, but this argument, while possibly correct in the respect that there is no goal to deal with, fails to take into consideration that the Lady Vols had already successfully inbounded the ball on the play that is causing so much heartburn. It was after this successful inbound play that Horston was called for the travel. Now, I don't claim to be a basketball genius, but it seems to me that this fact alone negates all of the hand-wringing over the failure, if such it was, to advance the ball at that particular juncture with the possible exception that the Lady Vols may or may not have been able to successfully inbound the ball to the front court thus negating the possibility of a 10-second violation. Given the myriad of other issues that beset the team at this point which could be respectfully discussed, I am truly at a loss to understand why this particular point has taken almost 10 pages of comments in this thread.

Jim
I thought that was the case also but when the boxscore didn't show it had no way to say it was true. I haven't rewatched the game and like Coach Harper said we got the ball in and Jordan was well on her way to front court if we hadn't got that call which may have been correct, but it was very close.

Jim

Jim,

Can't speak for the others. But, in case of a turnover, I prefer for Gonzaga to inbound the ball from the far end of court instead of under the basket.

Perhaps someone can educate me. It is my understanding that when a team-called timeout is extended to a media timeout the only difference is the length of time. The coach does not, as I understand it, get that timeout back.

I asked someone who knows and they told me:
No, it’s the same as the ball going out of bounds, just another stoppage that triggers a commercial
they do not get the timeout back

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Jim
The main reason is if you turn it over or get the ball stolen, the opposing team has to work harder and longer to get into scoring position. Since CJ asked about getting the timeout back and they don't, that means the announcers incorrectly said Tennessee called a timeout at 1:57 of the 4th. The scoreboard at the moment took a timeout off our board. When the game comes back on, the timeout has been switched to Gonzaga. The announcers got it wrong. The play by play analysis doesn't have Tennessee calling one , it has Gonzaga calling one. It may not have made a difference, but it's critical to know how many timeouts you have left. Somebody on the team that's in charge of keeping track, dropped the ball. Mistakes happen and nobody is perfect, but it is something worth pointing out and getting corrected. We played hard, which is good and I think things will improve from here on out.

VN Store

Back