Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols 63 - UCLA. 80

But in a recent presser, though, Kellie mentioned they spent most of preseason working on the offense — that it was only recently they started devoting most of practice working on defense and rebounding.
Well they are failing on both ends of the court. KJH needs to rethink her coaching strategy. Whatever she is doing, isn’t working.

Reactions: Nickid1975
Well they are failing on both ends of the court. KJH needs to rethink her coaching strategy. Whatever she is doing, isn’t working.
We should swallow our pride and ask to sit in on other team's practices to study how they operate their offense.

I read that Coach Close did that 3 or 4 years back, and she said it helped greatly.

Last edited:
The football team played yesterday?

They played something, but I’m not exactly sure that it can be considered football.

(Just kidding, I don’t watch a lot of college football, but, I am a fan of Inky Johnson. I did catch some of the Tennessee SC game from yesterday and it wasn’t pretty. Figures, the first time I root for Tennessee and that happened. )

Reactions: chuckiepoo
2-3. Play in the losers final bracket tomorrow against Gonzaga.
Texas and Louisville are also playing in the loser’s bracket. So,Texas losing to Louisville, that gives them 2 losses? Do you know what place the teams are playing for tomorrow? I see the schedule, but no bracket.

Fully agree. I've rarely, if ever, seen a poster explicity mention they want Kellie to fail. Are there those that haven't let up on what I believe to be a healthy dose of skepticism with Kellie? Sure. And I believe it's warranted given her prior experience on a P5 level. In year 4, it's even more warranted because she hasn't fixed any of the systemic issues Holly couldn't. And she can't recruit HS players.

I don't see fans of other programs (womens or mens) constantly move the goal post in justifying incompetent coaching like a lot of Lady Vol fans. It's truly bizarre. Anyone that takes a head coaching job at the mecca of women's basketball should be held to a very high standard, especially if you're still getting top talent! In many ways this feels like a sequel of the Holly Warlick era.

Hate to tell you this, but Tennessee is not the mecca of women's basketball any longer. And it hasn't been for years. It was in Storrs for a while, and now it's in Columbia, SC. And Kellie Harper isn't responsible for that fact.

There are a lot of people on these boards who think that Kellie Harper is an illegitimate head coach, either because of her lack of national championships or that she is a Pat Summitt disciple but not Pat Summitt, or because Phil hired her. They don't come right out and say they hope she will fail, because that would destroy their credibility, and they know it. But they don't have to. Some of us know they want her to fail to be proved right, as if that would make their lives any better.

If you think she's unworthy or illegitimate, well it doesn't matter. Because she's the head coach and will be until and unless she fails. It's fair to criticize her coaching moves and non-moves, but it isn't fair to insist that she will fail inevitably or that she be fired right now, as some here do. I don't understand why every fan of this program doesn't take this stance: I will support the coach of the LVs through thick and thin, even though I may criticize her coaching, until she proves she doesn't deserve my support any longer. So far she's been a net positive for this program. She should be given every chance to succeed, and that hasn't been reached yet.

UT/UL is consolation game. UT/Zags is for third.
There are 4 games tomorrow. So, Louisville, with one loss playing for first, TN, with one loss playing for 3rd, TX, with 2 losses, playing for 5th, and some other team playing for 7th? Sorry, just didn’t pay as much attention to the other teams, and do not see results or a bracket.

Last edited:
There are 4 games tomorrow. So, Louisville playing for first, TN playing for 3rd, TX playing for 5th, and some other team playing for 7th? Sorry, just didn’t pay as much attention to the other teams, and do not see results or a bracket.
Louisville can't be playing for first. They lost to Gonzaga in their first game. I think it's Marquette vs UCLA for first.

Louisville can't be playing for first. They lost to Gonzaga in their first game. I think it's Marquette vs UCLA for first.
That makes sense. So, are we playing Louisville tomorrow for third, and Texas playing in third game for 5th? Looks like it. How many games has Gonzaga lost?

Last edited:
That makes sense. So, are we playing Louisville tomorrow for third, and Texas playing in third game for 5th? Looks like it.

We play Gonzaga for Third tomorrow.

UCLA plays Marquette for the championship.

Texas plays Rutgers and Louisville plays SDSU for the consolation championship. Texas Rutgers would be the 7th place game, for what that’s worth.

We play Gonzaga for Third tomorrow.

UCLA plays Marquette for the championship.

Texas plays Rutgers and Louisville plays SDSU for the consolation championship. Texas Rutgers would be the 7th place game, for what that’s worth.

So win or lose tomorrow, TN comes out ahead of Texas and Louisville in this tournament. I know it was the luck of the draw, and has nothing to do with the rest of this season, but still I like that. 🙂

I didn't even watch this game but the box score says two of the four starting guards for UCLA had as many rebounds (12) as all five of Tennessee's starters. Add in that UCLA shot 50% on volume shooting 16-30 and there you go. 3-10 from 3 versus 16-30. Goodness.

Not hard to figure this game one out. Tennessee didn't control the boards, UCLA successfully ran their offense (21 assists), both got and made looks at threes, and that's that. I'm guessing, I mean. Didn't watch. But the sheet says a lot.

*EDIT* - I notice three of their four starting guards are seniors. That makes sense. Regrettable, predictable, disappointing sense.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people on these boards who think that Kellie Harper is an illegitimate head coach, either because of her lack of national championships or that she is a Pat Summitt disciple but not Pat Summitt, or because Phil hired her. They don't come right out and say they hope she will fail, because that would destroy their credibility, and they know it. But they don't have to. Some of us know they want her to fail to be proved right, as if that would make their lives any better.

No one said she is illegitimate, though there were a lot of people who thought there were better hires to be had.

No one wanted to see her fail and everyone would still like to see her succeed.

You need to apologize Al. You are getting way out of line. I gave you a pass on your pretending not to understand what happened during the hiring process because you were dug in and overwrought. But you impugned the motivations of a lot of people then too and you need to stop it. You are behaving dishonorably and making an ass of yourself.

We should swallow our pride and ask to sit in on other team's practices to study how they operate their offense.

I read that Coach Close did that 3 or 4 years back, and she said it helped greatly.
I actually notice a lot of the problems and I could help in practices, it’s not only that it’s the roster. Yes we have Jordan and Rickea but that’s it.

It is not who is great on paper .... it is about chemistry, and as Andraya Carter said today FEE..... Flow, Energy, and effort.

the last several years when we have been outplayed at times by other SEC teams..... Auburn, Florida and Alabama (several times straight) come to mind.... none of those teams had anyone I can remember who was better than our roster.

I would like to see a "Refuse to Lose" take-no-prisoners attitude as Pat did..... Holly wasn't that type of coach.... perhaps KJH is not either.

#3 Texas has lost two games at the Battle4Atlantis and now has a record of 1-3. I wonder if Vic Schaefer is getting the same criticism from their fans...I'll bet not.

Beat me to it.
200.gif

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
#3 Texas has lost two games at the Battle4Atlantis and now has a record of 1-3. I wonder if Vic Schaefer is getting the same criticism from their fans...I'll bet not.
He is playing the games without two of his best players and would be the equivalent of taking Horston and Key out of our lineup and then playing the games. He is losing close games just not enough firepower with his top scorer and inside player. Second even with them I never thought Texas was the number three team in the country, but with them he has two wins instead of two losses in this tourney.

VN Store

Back