Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols 63 - UCLA. 80

GET ME BODIED. Welp. How do you respond? Hopefully these bloody noses, now hardened and toughen us up later in the season where certain things want even fave them. It was UCLA's night, the shot the 3 lights out, but the lack of defense, rebounds and toughness. GET ME BODIED! UCLA whoop us, beat us down, knock us down, sat on our chest and kept us down and kept wailing on us. Granted UCLA lights out....they won't have that kind of shooting stats average for the year, so great game Bruins. GET ME BODIED. Aye ladies, don't too many fighters, teams go undefeated, but we have to adjust how the refs are call the games, but UCLA dictated how the game was gonna be played, hence called. GET ME BODIED.

Our players play with no power, low stance, no hard screens, no hard checks, we don't use our depth or size, wisely, we should be bumping players , knocking them down, our bodies are on them as much as the refs will allow, coming back from timeouts, out of bound plays, while opposing players are running up the court, just a lil body...we don't body anyone...we get bodied.... GET ME BODIED. We want to be the aggressors. GET ME BODIED As, a new fighter, team, Lady Vols team this year, career season just getting started, we didn't set up, no, no, no...easy bouts/games, to set up false realities, we are dealing with reality now, exposing our weakness.

GET ME BODIED Now, the first game, fight tough opponent, OSU you got in the ring, the moment was new, kinda shell shocked but soon you realize, damn it ain't gonna be easy, what you thought it was gonna be and how it turned out, didn't match up. Turnovers/we missed a lot of punches GOT BODIED. We work on some weakness, next game Umass another good opponent, experience fighter, we went the full rounds, Lady Vols won unanamious decisions. Here comes the next opponent/game/ fighter, Indiana, technically sound team, experience who won't knock you out but their style of play, physicality at all points of contact, a contender, for the title, expose our mindset/attitude/toughness. GOT BODIED. Our next fighter, game wasn't really a fight, young fighter, really inexperienced squad... Rutgers. GET ME BODIED. Then we ran into fighter like us, looking for a statement win, who are hungry, UCLA played their style of basketball, physicality knocked our team and players around, nothing we threw really landed that hard. GOT BODIED. UCLA goes for for the knock out, and this was a fight we thought could win with the right mindset. GOT BODIED. AND We matched up well, on paper we looked like the better team/fighter on paper, in on paper but on the court, chile' Paper Champions huh, gotta play the games ladies. GETTING BODIED!

2 Wins
3 Losses. (3 Tkos)

GOT BODIED! Ok I thought this season was gonna start a lil differently, its still only five games in... but damn. lol But its not the end, no. no. I keep telling myself. Its still early, but damn. lol I hope no one thought it was gonna be easy. Against physicality or physical teams, that's our scouting report, Lady Vols are soft, mental midgets, our players lose their poise, their composure, confidence, its like everyone is playing afraid to lose..don't let these games go to your head ladies...GOT BODIED Aye, its Lady Vols Basketball, no one said it was gonna be easy, toughen up, i.e mentality its like seeing UCLA players hitting all those threes, it should have been at least one player on the team, like oh hell nawl, if this bih hit another three, I'm gonna kill somebody or better yet. I got her. .who got her. Im shutting you down bih. lol ijs GOT BODIED If they all hate losing as much as they say they do, we should start to see improvements, the necessary changes, they are smart young ladies . GET ME BODIED

I see a lack of leadership and toughness. Which player or players is gonna take upon themselves to lead this team, to say this is how we play and show them. Which player is gonna take it upon herself to lead this team. We were a tougher team last year. It did not carry over. What changed? Lady Vols are lacking leadership and toughness, consistent high performer, which alpha female is gonna emerge, which alpha females, is gonna lead her pack. I just don't like seeing the Lady Vols GET BODIED! And as a fan, its 50/50 if you gonna play with the focus, mentality, attitude, skill, the physicality, urgency, intent, or just will, grit, and sheer energy, Lady VOLs basketball. WE FIGHT! Well we used too. lol GET ME BODIED. Got Bodied... Not the end of the world, and I am not lowering my expectations, which are mine, and mine alone, I think Kellie will get them where they need to be. This team should be ready by SEC Play or middle of SEC Play if everyone stays healthy, minutes are about to decrease... This team still don't have an identity, and last year's team from the start. GRIT< TOUGHNESS! Our ladies have potential they just have to learn how to fight and that begins with defense and rebounding. ijs

Kellie, subs pattern was kinda.... Today was UCLA's day. aye move on.

Defense, rebounds and good guard play wins championships
What does get me bodied mean??

I didn’t get to see the whole game, but the shooting stats are poor. Her last attempts at the basket were poor, and she had twice as many 3 point attempts as Tess, who is supposed to be our 3 point shooter. Why did Tess only have 2 attempts for a 3 in the whole game?
Tess didn’t get open looks, they need to run her off screens or something to get open shots.

Last edited:
UCLA made 16 of 30, 3 pointers, by a total of 6 players.

TN made 3 of 10, 3 pointers, by 3 players.

Horston has always been a volume shooter, I was hoping she would have a higher shooting percentage this year, but she made 5 of 17 attempts.

Rickea doesn’t look like she dribbles well, but she can shoot, although not well today.

We need better rebounding from someone. Striplin grabbed a rebound in about a minute or two of play. We need to make our free throws, and we need Horston to finish layups, or kick the ball out to a shooter away from the basket, when the layup is a no go.

This team is about to get some very tough love from Kellie.
I thought that tough love already happened..

Fair honest criticism has been here for awhile. It’s just getting noticed by more and more who wanted to ignore it. Passionate fans have been the ones saying it, it was not in hopes she would fail. It was because she hasn’t shown she’s up to the job. Some passionate fans have been blinded by the whole Lady Vol legacy to see it. Agree on personal shots at the players, no need.

Fully agree. I've rarely, if ever, seen a poster explicity mention they want Kellie to fail. Are there those that haven't let up on what I believe to be a healthy dose of skepticism with Kellie? Sure. And I believe it's warranted given her prior experience on a P5 level. In year 4, it's even more warranted because she hasn't fixed any of the systemic issues Holly couldn't. And she can't recruit HS players.

I don't see fans of other programs (womens or mens) constantly move the goal post in justifying incompetent coaching like a lot of Lady Vol fans. It's truly bizarre. Anyone that takes a head coaching job at the mecca of women's basketball should be held to a very high standard, especially if you're still getting top talent! In many ways this feels like a sequel of the Holly Warlick era.

Last edited:
More uniformed opinions about recruiting here...This was in the newspaper...

"There were eight 2023 prospects on Tennessee's radar at the beginning of June. After the summer, that number was four.

Tennessee was selective in who it ultimately decided to target, but it had the flexibility to do so. Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson and Tamari Key are eligible to enter the 2023 WNBA Draft. They also have an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19 that would allow any or all to return for a fifth season.

The Lady Vols' recruiting needs tie into those decisions. Harper can still add to the 2023 class before next season, but she also can afford to wait on the decisions of three game-changers currently on the roster.

So, the list was intentionally pared down to four final 2023 targets, whether Tennessee got them or not.

Horston, Jackson and Key may still leave and Harper would be scrambling to round out the roster via recruiting or the transfer portal. But that was a calculated gamble."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...-harper-recruiting-no-2023-class/69600325007/
I hope Jordan and Rickea return, but Jey can move on to her endeavors.

Fully agree. I've rarely, if ever, seen a poster explicity mention they want Kellie to fail. Are there those that haven't let up on what I believe to be a healthy dose of skepticism with Kellie? Sure. And I believe it's warranted given her prior experience on a P5 level. In year 4, it's even more warranted because she hasn't fixed any of the systemic issues Holly couldn't. And she can't recruit HS players.

I don't see fans of other programs (womens or mens) move the goal post in justifying incompetent coaching like a lot of Lady Vol fans. It's truly bizarre. Anyone that takes a head coaching job at the mecca of women's basketball should be held to a very high standard, especially if you're still getting top talent! In many ways this feels like a sequel of the Holly Warlick era.

giphy.gif

That’s what I’ve been saying, but Key is part of that as well, shes tall and that’s about it.

The problem with Key is she has been there now 4 years and has not been able to get better on the offensive end. And i will put the blame on KJH, Key needs a post player coach. Also Striplin would do better at one of the mid major schools i think.

OMG I been keeping up with the football drama from yesterday, I didnt know we played BB today I see the Lady Vols lost again what is our record

Giv, first off I'm not a nega. At least I don't think so, and you could probably get that confirmed via Darth. LOL,,, I don't unfairly criticize Kellie, her staff or her players, at least I try not to. For at least a couple of seasons now, I've pleaded with people to give her a reasonable chance before judging her or calling for her firing. And I don't believe that just because someone played for Pat, they are not likely to succeed as a head coach. I support Kellie until and unless she shows me for sure that she isn't the answer at Tennessee. I want her to succeed for our sake and the program's sake. But that doesn't also mean that she is immune from criticism from the fan base (including me) for specific things that seem wanting - like the way the team looks right now.

I'm just reacting to a poster who earlier complained that we do not have an elite offense, and never really have, just throwing out reasons why that my be so. I'm just engaging in conjecture and speculation. Throwing out ideas to see if the stick.

If I were AD White, I would bring in a retired, respected WCBB coach to review the program and report back to me. Then I'd sit down with Kellie and go over the report and see how agreeable she was to the recommended changes, and go from there. That report might include what you suggest - an offensive mind as an assistant head coach. I could see that happening.
Hire the retired, respected WCBB coach. Just kidding, hahaha.

I don't see fans of other programs (womens or mens) move the goal post in justifying incompetent coaching like a lot of Lady Vol fans. It's truly bizarre. Anyone that takes a head coaching job at the mecca of women's basketball should be held to a very high standard, especially if you're still getting top talent! In many ways this feels like a sequel of the Holly Warlick era.

I'll bet you've never "seen anyone" here consistently been negative since day one of the hiring, either, have you?

"Healthy dose of skepticism." 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

They've delivered a healthy load of something, that's for sure.

What is truly bizarre is the poseurs and imposters with fixated obsessions for other coaches have leeched onto the forum like pus in a boil. Creepy.

It takes character to support a team when they're struggling and to lift them up. It takes absolutely zero character to quit on a team five games into the season.

Last edited:
I'll bet you've never "seen anyone" here consistently been negative since day one of the hiring, either, have you?

What is truly bizarre is the poseurs and imposters with fixated obsessions for other coaches have leeched onto the forum like pus in a boil. Creepy.

It takes character to support a team when they're struggling and to lift them up. It takes absolutely zero character to quit on a team five games into the season.

The 'gotcha questions' are ridiculous.

And yes I said healthy dose of skepticism!

I personally don't have an obsession with other coaches or progams. I simply give credit where it's due because I'm also a fan of WCBB as a whole.

Have also mentioned in the past that I support and want the best for the players. It's the coaching.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
At this rate they’re gonna have to be lucky to have a long season to play the bench she’s building now. If Kellie flounders one of the best teams put together at UT this season, I think her seat gets hot. Because I don’t care what anyone says she’s not going to find another Rickea, Jordan or a 6’6 post in the portal next yr to replace the production lost.

Giv, first off I'm not a nega. At least I don't think so, and you could probably get that confirmed via Darth. LOL,
Nah, I didn't word it right and didn't mean to lump you in as a nega. I actually hate that term and its implications anyway. I was just saying your take, that we're stuck with old timey O bc that's all the program's ever done and no one wants to, or knows how, to do anything different is exactly what the detractors have been saying all along. We're mired in the glory days and can't (or won't) get out.

As you can tell, this subject drives me beserk bc it's so widely identified and acknowledged as THE problem and yet due to apparent institutional intransegence no one will do anything about it. I simply cannot make sense of this. Makes it sound like those in charge would rather pay homage to the past than win. I don't get it.

The problem with Key is she has been there now 4 years and has not been able to get better on the offensive end. And i will put the blame on KJH, Key needs a post player coach. Also Striplin would do better at one of the mid major schools i think.

Key is the current poster child, but how many of the other veteran players on the roster have really developed under this coaching staff?

VN Store

Back