Game Thread: (#11/10) Lady Vols 68 - Kansas 58

Tennessee wins, Tennessee wins, Tennessee wins, The Elevation in Knoxville it a little under 900 feet. The Elevation in Las Vegas is a little over 2000 feet. The girls got gases quick. Coach Kellie Harper had to take the girls out often, this is why she had to sub a lot. As always go Lady Vol's.

Is Las Vegas really considered high-altitude? I've never heard it mentioned. It's not Colorado or a mile-high city.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
When she was in she was in a crowd, there were 3 players around her if she got a touch.

Tamari's difficulties are directly a result of our poor perimeter shooting. They couldn't and wouldn't collapse that many on her if they were fearful of the consequences. And they aren't. Hopefully that will improve. Tess is hopefully out of her slump, and Rae will be back at some point.

Is Las Vegas really considered high-altitude? I've never heard it mentioned. It's not Colorado or a mile-high city.
I heard Coach Kellie Harper talk about it, so I looked it up. I was surprised. She said she looked at the players and she could tell they were out of air. So she put 4 players into the game at once.

It was again about the Defense: The Jayhawks were held to a season-low 30.8% shooting, hitting 20-of-65 field goal attempts while also shooting 30.0% (6-of-20) from three-point range.

Kansas Head Coach thoughts on the Game:
"I thought we played extremely hard and competed. We understood the physicality that was going to take place and we never backed down, but most importantly, we played with great belief and a sense of belonging on the floor against a Top 10 team. Defensively, I thought we stuck to the game plan and did some good things. Offensively, we never really got in sync. They made us work for every clean look we got and for that, you have to give UT credit."
HEAD COACH BRANDON SCHNEIDER

It looks so far like this team is going to hang its hat on defense. That's something at least; defense will certainly get them a lot of wins against most teams you'd find in the sport. But to break through in March they have to figure out what to do on offense. There are teams out there that can and will score, and teams that will match them in rebounding, and those low shooting percentages threaten to put them in holes they can't dig out of. Tennessee has to figure their offense out before they hit those big challenges. Five games into the season and their season average is 37% from the field, 20% from 3, and 54% from the FT line. 54% from the FT line is the biggest problem. They need to be making 3 out of 4 at the free throw line, particularly in the SEC tournament and the NCAA tournament, when games come down to shooting free throws. It's good that they won, but they are going to be under a lot of stress in the post-season if that's how they play. Thankfully, their determination on defense will give them room to work on the problem.

Everything you say is fair but let's not forget that the the Lady vols (or TU according Flosports) are down their number one offensive player and are having to rely on freshmen for key minutes. All in all, 5-0 against some very solid competition is way beyond what most were expecting when Rae went down.

So, yes their offensive efficiency will need to improve but Rae coming back (hopefully), will help considerably in that regard and the freshman players are going to more comfortable as the season goes. Darby's shooting percentage took a step forward today.

We need to appreciate the defensive tenacity and how they are maintaining this effort across games (i.e. no mental let down after the big Texas win). This team is proving to be very mentally tough and if I had to choose, I will take that over a higher FT % (or what we should perhaps start calling "rebounding opportunities")

Winning with defense and rebounds is classic Lady Vols.

We can project "oh, the LVs will have to do this by then to accomplish that" but they have time and who knows, a lock down defense, two star offensive players and a shot blocker extraordinaire can take a team a long way.

Last edited:
“It’s exactly what I told our team,” Harper said. “I don’t know that we’ll have an easy win all season. We expect that they’re not going to be. We did say before the game there’s a lot of upsets today, a lot of upsets in the last couple days in women’s basketball, so you’ve got to go out and handle your business.

“South Florida is good. They are really good. I guess people – not us – were overlooking them. Even Geno Auriemma made a comment about how it’s one of their better teams. We’ve got five good wins. We’ve got to keep playing hard, keep putting ourselves in position to win.”

Hopefully we can find a way to get this win tonight and get back home. A lot of home games coming up just Va Tech on the road in the next several games. A win tonight puts us inside the top ten maybe as high as 7th next poll. I consider Okla St a better team than Kansas so we need to play a lot better.

UT has a history of poor shooting that goes all the way back to the beginning of the program. PS had a small number of good-shooting teams when we were in our prime, and we had seasons in the early years with good shooting percentages when nobody in the game could shoot from outside but we were a terror on the boards and made a lot of layups off of offensive rebounds. But in the last 20 years, more or less, we've been pretty weak. It was always defense and rebounding with PS, and we won a ton of games that were ugly offensively. In fact, that was the rule rather than the exception. We were not a good shooting team under Warlick, and in particular did not take enough 3-point shots and did not make nearly enough 3-point shots--and it hasn't got any better. I don't know why it's been so hard to find or develop shooters, but it's been a consistent issue for a very long time.

Reactions: VolBall09 and glv98

VN Store

Back