Game plan vs South carolina

KeyVol14

Wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the game this week. We all know Muschamp is going to load the box and challenge are recievers on the outside. While our offensive yline has made great improvements this game worries me mainly because I feel we have no other choice but to start JG and his inability to make the correcr reads or push the ball downfield really worries me. Defensively stopping the run is most important would love to beats Muschamp for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the game this week. We all know Muschamp is going to load the box and challenge are recievers on the outside. While our offensive yline has made great improvements this game worries me mainly because I feel we have no other choice but to start JG and his inability to make the correcr reads or push the ball downfield really worries me. Defensively stopping the run is most important would love to beats Muschamp for the first time. To me this is the most important remaining game in order to get to a bowl. Missouri is a tossup and the rest should be winnable games
Assuming Maurer isn't playing, I guess you have to establish a run game. I don't see that his only choice is to start JG. He could put Shrout in, establish a running game with a quick pass on occasion. IDK....JMO

I think it will be our goal to make it as low scoring affair as possible...which means we run the ball and run the clock...hoping that by 2nd half we start wearing them down.

I don't really feel great about this game. I think we're pretty evenly matched on both sides of the ball, but they have the edge w/ their QB. It's a winnable game...if I'm going to pick UT to win, it's solely on the basis, kinda like MSU...that we HAVE to win to salvage the season.

If Maurer goes, it's easier.
Without Maurer, Jennings may be the best option (no pun intended).
Shrout has not seemed ready and Guarantano is a lost soul.

Reactions: MadWorld
You just have to run the football. SC knows this and so does everyone else. If we can't run the football, we will not win the game. Run the wishbone for all I care, but we simply have to run the ball a LOT to win this game.

I saw an article on this and will paraphrase, "USC likes to put 8 in the box and play man to man on the WR". This is easy coverage to read, pick your best match up pre-snap and make a good throw. JG can do this, he has a good arm and can make the throws. I give us a good chance to win IF (and that is a big IF) the OL/DL play like they have the last 2 games. And as a plus right now we have our 2 starting LB's in the game until some ref gets hanky happy and throws one of them out for playing football.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
JG plays better when he doesn’t have time. It’s weird but it’s true. His instincts are more trustworthy than his ability to read coverages. If I were muschamp, I would only send 3 down lineman and stand everybody else up in coverage.

Reactions: PA Vol
My gameplan would be to play Jennings and Shrout in a 2 QB system (leaning more JJ). USC does play a lot of man on the outside. Byrd will replace Jennings in the slot in 3 WR sets. This puts more speed on the field and no loss in down field blocking. I'd run wildcat, read option and speed option with Jennings. In man to man if you get past the line the DB's have their back to the play and home run plays can be made. Jennings hasn't forgot how to play QB. There may be some timing issues but those are better than the alternative. Shrout would come in on obvious passing downs and JJ would slide back to WR on these plays or get a quick rest. I'd allow JJ to pass as well. He has an arm that can get the ball deep. Avoid that tall DB that ate Fromm's lunch. I'd play mainly 2 WR, 2 TE and 1 RB sets. Gray would be my 3rd back in rotation but all 3 would play a lot and get plenty of touches. Q would still be my goal line/short yardage back. I would play slow on offense for the most part and shorten the game. However, I would go hurry up randomly to try to create advantages or confusion.
On defense I like the way the team has played of recent. No reason to change too much up here. S. Carolina is a solid offensive team that can move the ball. Like usual the need is to control the line of scrimmage and take away the run.

You just have to run the football. SC knows this and so does everyone else. If we can't run the football, we will not win the game. Run the wishbone for all I care, but we simply have to run the ball a LOT to win this game.

Imo we pass first to open up the run game. We wont be able to run effectively against a stacked line to stop the run. Quick slants, occasional downfield. We have to get them off the line to run

Imo we pass first to open up the run game. We wont be able to run effectively against a stacked line to stop the run. Quick slants, occasional downfield. We have to get them off the line to run
I can see a Spurrier type game plan like that working early in the game.

JG plays better when he doesn’t have time. It’s weird but it’s true. His instincts are more trustworthy than his ability to read coverages. If I were muschamp, I would only send 3 down lineman and stand everybody else up in coverage.

I sure hope he does that, if he does we can win. I look for him to stack the line.

Game plan...... CJP wrapping BM before the game.

images

Muschamp's game plan against us hasn't changed over the last 3 years...

He's gonna bring various run blitzes on 1st and 2nd downs to put us in 3rd and long situations.
He then is only going to rush 3 or 4 on 3rd down as he backs off and plays zone coverage to confuse our QBs.
He will change that up a little bit depending on down and distances...but that's his overall framework...and it works.

Offensively--he's going to run the ball and try to wear your DL down. He will run RPOs and throw behind our LBs.
He's going to find a way to get our Safeties into one on one matchups against his best receiver.
Every team we've played has success doing that--and he's going to continue to do it.

I hope that offensively--we line up and run right at their 6'6" big man on the DL and double-team him to neutralize his impact.
I think we'll have a hard time running RPOs on the side of their big guy on the DL...
I hope we continue the success we had running the ball against Bama...

I think we can have some success throwing the ball into the seams against USCe's zone off of play action.

Defensively...we have to stop their RB first and foremost...esp. on 3rd down draws...they killed Fla with those draws....
And we have to continue to get better secondary performance from our Safeties.
I hope that our defense doesn't give up explosive plays and makes USCe drive the ball slowly down the field in small increments of yardage.
I think we can force some turnovers that way.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: RollerVol
Wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the game this week. We all know Muschamp is going to load the box and challenge are recievers on the outside. While our offensive yline has made great improvements this game worries me mainly because I feel we have no other choice but to start JG and his inability to make the correcr reads or push the ball downfield really worries me. Defensively stopping the run is most important would love to beats Muschamp for the first time.

First play that SC puts 8 in the box and covers man to man I would throw the ball as far down the field as I possibly could in the general direction of a receiver wearing an orange jersey.

Against a Muschump defense, it would be suicide to start JG. Hate the man with a passion but he can defensively scheme with the best of them and if JG starts it just made his job that much easier.

Lord I coudnt even begin to guess the plan without knowing who the QB will be. I hope Pruitt doesnt announce it.

How could anyone want JG over Shrout at this point? I'd rather go down swinging with Shrout any day of the week, rather than watch JG hold the ball all game until the DE takes his head off. 3 and out city with JG. That's why our defense looked awful at the beginning of the year. They're on the field all day because JG can't produce 1st downs to save his life

Reactions: 90 Vol
First play that SC puts 8 in the box and covers man to man I would throw the ball as far down the field as I possibly could in the general direction of a receiver wearing an orange jersey.

You get a like, I got a laugh.

Also, agreed.

VN Store

Back