'24 GA WR Mike Matthews (Tennessee)

LOL... you don't think subjectivity and bias play into these rankings? @BigOrangeTrain and I have had some epic rounds over how accurate/inaccurate the recruiting rankings are. But if you think these moves are because some committee sat down and objectively determined that Matthews should move down and someone else should move up... you couldn't be more wrong.

Why do you think at this time of year with essentially no new information that Wingo would move up significantly and Matthews move down? Did Matthews somehow become a worse player?

For the players being hotly pursued by UGA, Bama, OSU, et al to move up... someone has to move down. There's two sides. There is the lack of respect/credibility for UT's staff and the high respect/credibility given to others. You could even argue it is "reasonable" since those programs have proven the ability to find talent and win.

Based on what I've read, Matthews wants to leave Georgia to play CFB. That's a mark against him in these rankings if true because UGA won't prioritize him... and UGA's opinion on a kid, particularly a kid from GA, carries A LOT of weight with the recruiting site guys who do the rankings. Regardless of the reason, if UGA isn't chasing an in-state kid then that hurts his ranking.
Think it’s important to notice if his grade went down or if it was just his ranking. Sometimes recruits move down because others move up. Right now is a big camp circuit which is new information. I Haven’t followed, maybe Matthew’s either isn’t doing camps, or didn’t perform well at some 7on stuff, or maybe other guys are camping and are performing really well, and evaluators are saying, “if we think Matthew’s is a really good player and against the same players this guy is outshining Matthew’s maybe our grade on Matthew’s is pretty spot on, but our grade on this other guy is low… let’s bump him up” these kids are 16-18 years old. There are some guys that during their JR year finally get their almost man body. People will rise and fall. The rankings doesn’t matter.. also, just checked 247 and Matthew’s grade fell .0009 in the last update… so, they aren’t really dinging his ranking just upgrading others..

Matthews paired with Merklinger, Echols, and Wingo is gonna be impressive. Add Lewis at RB and this will be the best skill position class in the nation.
In your opinion, how realistic is Wingo?

He seems to be taking his time an pushing everyone back. Probably not too surprising but I seldom get excited over a single recruit. This class is starting to become pretty exciting because they appear to be doing well with some very talented guys including those already committed. But Wingo seems to be a guy all the best recruiters want.

He seems to be taking his time an pushing everyone back. Probably not too surprising but I seldom get excited over a single recruit. This class is starting to become pretty exciting because they appear to be doing well with some very talented guys including those already committed. But Wingo seems to be a guy all the best recruiters want.

I'm not optimistic about him. He will be in for part of the weekend before the Nashville On3 weekend, but I just feel like he'll wind up at Georgia. That being said, WR is the one position I'm not worried about with Heupel.
I'd say 65/35 that we don't get him. But I'll wait to see what he has to say after the weekend.

Reactions: Nooga and sjt18
I'm not optimistic about him. He will be in for part of the weekend before the Nashville On3 weekend, but I just feel like he'll wind up at Georgia. That being said, WR is the one position I'm not worried about with Heupel.
I'd say 65/35 that we don't get him. But I'll wait to see what he has to say after the weekend.
Agree. I also think Heupel knows what he wants in a WR... and there are quite a few out there who can be developed.

We need the top WR talent. One, because it will take this offense to unstoppable levels.

And, two (and this is often overlooked), to boost the draft position of our players and thus crush the negative recruiting propaganda that we run a gimmick offense and thus don't prepare players for the league. The negative spiel is a lie that relies on recruiting results (not preparation and scheme) for its deceiving "plausibility" for the gullible.

Can you imagine the results and draft stock of the cream of the crop in this offense? I think we will get there.

I say this as a general remark. Everything does not depend on one particular guy.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about how we will fare in the WR department, but I also don't want UGA to land top 3 players at the position, even if they will likely squander his talent.

Think it’s important to notice if his grade went down or if it was just his ranking. Sometimes recruits move down because others move up. Right now is a big camp circuit which is new information. I Haven’t followed, maybe Matthew’s either isn’t doing camps, or didn’t perform well at some 7on stuff, or maybe other guys are camping and are performing really well, and evaluators are saying, “if we think Matthew’s is a really good player and against the same players this guy is outshining Matthew’s maybe our grade on Matthew’s is pretty spot on, but our grade on this other guy is low… let’s bump him up”
Kind of what I said in part but you're still acting like the recruiting sites are expert talented evaluators who objectively rate players ignoring other influences.

these kids are 16-18 years old. There are some guys that during their JR year finally get their almost man body. People will rise and fall.
This doesn't really seem to be related to that. The guys who appear to have passed him have been known for a while. Some guys do mature but often those guys don't break into the 5* conversation. Recruiting site rankers are somewhat like pollsters. After the "favored" ones are known... it takes a lot to knock someone down or move someone up.

The rankings doesn’t matter.. also, just checked 247 and Matthew’s grade fell .0009 in the last update… so, they aren’t really dinging his ranking just upgrading others..
The net effect is the same.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
We need the top WR talent. One, because it will take this offense to unstoppable levels.

And, two (and this is often overlooked), to boost the draft position of our players and thus crush the negative recruiting propaganda that we run a gimmick offense and thus don't prepare players for the league. The negative spiel is a lie that relies on recruiting results (not preparation and scheme) for its deceiving "plausibility."

I think we will get there.

I say this as a general remark. Everything does not depend on one particular guy.
I've thought about that too. Very good point.

Just a small Memorial Day weekend nugget on Matthews. I still really like Tennessee’s position for him. If anything, think the margin has increased between UT and the field. USC and Clemson are vying for 2nd place at this point, UT’s to lose.

Secondly, want to say thank you on here to all who have served (and families) and a special thank you to those who have lost a member of your family. Their sacrifice is not unnoticed, very much appreciated and honored. I’m from a military family of sorts as well, both dad/granddad/brothers have served in wars. THANK YOU
Stick around

You’re FOS and you need something to be outraged about so you complain about recruiting services victimizing Tennessee because some prospects dropped.

They like some players better than others, deal with it. They don’t drop because they favor Tennessee. You just whine and moan about it because it makes you feel better. No one cares if it’s fair or not. In case you haven’t noticed, life isn’t fair. Funny how you bring this nonsense up when it’s most convenient for you, and totally ignore the fact that Nico finished the year ranked #1 overall on on3.
Woody? Is that you?

And, two (and this is often overlooked), to boost the draft position of our players and thus crush the negative recruiting propaganda that we run a gimmick offense and thus don't prepare players for the league. The negative spiel is a lie that relies on recruiting results (not preparation and scheme) for its deceiving "plausibility" for the gullible.

Can you imagine the results and draft stock of the cream of the crop in this offense? I think we will get there.

And the top level talent that makes our offense unstoppable can make our top 10ish roster able to beat UGA's and Bama's

Just a small Memorial Day weekend nugget on Matthews. I still really like Tennessee’s position for him. If anything, think the margin has increased between UT and the field. USC and Clemson are vying for 2nd place at this point, UT’s to lose.

Secondly, want to say thank you on here to all who have served (and families) and a special thank you to those who have lost a member of your family. Their sacrifice is not unnoticed, very much appreciated and honored. I’m from a military family of sorts as well, both dad/granddad/brothers have served in wars. THANK YOU
Crystal ball from Rusty. Load the cannons

We led for Wingo until Raiola went to uga. I think we can get back on top with a good visit. Show him that Nico will be ready the moment steps on campus. Also, pairing him with Matthews will open the field for him. Pre visit, I say 60-40 uga. Post visit it flips to 60-40 Vols.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and sjt18
The 5-star was really good today at Cam Newton’s Memorial Day 7v7, unsurprisingly. If you don’t check him at the line, it is game over.

On a more important note, I talked to a lot of people today trying to get more of a feel for this one ahead of June OVs. Frequently heard that Georgia has continued to fall off some. Still heard USC and Clemson mentioned routinely. 50/50 on those two, honestly, but Tennessee was the team with the most buzz. Brought up in EVERY conversation I had.

Have said this for a while, the OVs will tell the story in this one imo. Continue to really like where Tennessee is ahead of June.

-Matt Ray

The 5-star was really good today at Cam Newton’s Memorial Day 7v7, unsurprisingly. If you don’t check him at the line, it is game over.

On a more important note, I talked to a lot of people today trying to get more of a feel for this one ahead of June OVs. Frequently heard that Georgia has continued to fall off some. Still heard USC and Clemson mentioned routinely. 50/50 on those two, honestly, but Tennessee was the team with the most buzz. Brought up in EVERY conversation I had.

Have said this for a while, the OVs will tell the story in this one imo. Continue to really like where Tennessee is ahead of June.

-Matt Ray

jay-z-headbob.gif

-Matt Ray
Hardest working man in rakrootin' right thar.

May sound like he's from Maynardville but man brings the info

VN Store

Back