'24 GA WR Mike Matthews (Tennessee)

The buzz: Mike Matthews keeps his recruitment pretty close to the vest. He took some visits during the summer, then did the same during the season. A group of schools seems to have made impressions on the star athlete out of Lilburn (Ga.) Parkview. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, Tennessee and USC are schools I hear about. Georgia, the in-state school, has made up some ground with Matthews and his family. There is some buzz around the Bulldogs after Matthews looked to be trending out of state six months ago. This one still has a ways to go, and Matthews plans to take his five official visits before making his decision.
c.simmons

Trio of SEC schools standing out to Matthews
Georgia received the most recent visit from Matthews. The five-star traveled to Athens on Nov. 5 for the Bulldogs’ win over then-No. 1 Tennessee.

“They’re pretty much preaching (to) me (about) what they’re building and how well they’re doing playing football,” Matthews said. “I’ve really just been building a relationship with them. I talk to (head) coach Kirby (Smart) all the time. I talk to (Director of Recruiting Relations David Cooper) all the time.”

The Bulldogs’ mentality on the field stands out to Matthews. It is a key reason why he is considering Smart’s program.

“Just the intensity and the type of dog mindset they play with in the game,” Matthews said. “Every single game, it’s always a dogfight.”

Regarding Alabama, Matthews was in Tuscaloosa on Oct. 8. That day, the Crimson Tide defeated Texas A&M 24-20.

“Alabama is just a powerhouse team in college football,” Matthews said. “It’s always gonna be up there for me cause they’re always winning out and I love when that’s the biggest part, winning and having fun. That’s why that’s what they do best.”

Matthews saw Alabama fall to Tennessee in a 52-49 thriller that caused fans to rush the field at Neyland Stadium. That environment in Knoxville and the Volunteers’ win still stands out to him.

“After the game, the fan base, everyone was on the field,” Matthews said. “Everybody was happy. I was able to go inside the locker room and just see all the players and coaches celebrating together. It was just a real good time.”

-ON3

Also mentioned USC, Clemson and Notre Dame are standing out. Releasing Top 8 or 10 in the spring/summer.

Matt Ray just said it’s not confirmed yet “Will likely be a late Friday decision. Trip would be sandwiched between basketball and 7v7 is the current hold up.” So hold on the fong bomb lol

Wiltfong having the detail about his mother coming, and adding that note specifically about UGA, makes me think the visit is happening.

Not a chance, he plays safety in HS. So he’s likely not playing corner in the SEC. He has elite ball skills and route running though and has 1st round pick potential at WR

Alontae Taylor also played safety in HS.

So did Bryce Thompson. Neither played CB until college.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back