'22 GA WR Kaleb Webb (Tennessee signee)

From a recent VQ article:

“When I go up there I feel like I’m a main priority," Webb said. "I always have great talks with Coach Heupel, Coach Burns, Coach Golesh and Coach Pope. Plus seeing how they’re changing the culture and how I can be incorporated into the offense. They run a similar offense to what we run in high school. They’ve just pulled me closer.”
🍊🍊🍊

On the offensive side, Kaleb Webb is someone who really likes Tennessee and the Vols have been pushing hard to get him in the boat. He has picked up more traction in recent weeks with offers from Michigan and others. The cloud of the investigation and the unknowns have given him pause about Tennessee but the news on Thursday should help things in this recruitment.
-VQ

Another trip to Tennessee next month is the only other trip he currently plans to add to his schedule.

“I know I’m going to possibly take (an official visit) to Tennessee at the beginning of December,” Webb said, “but I’m not sure about anything else, to be honest.”

Tennessee, Michigan and Louisville have started to stand out to him in recent weeks, at least in part because of their frequent contact with him.

“They’ve been recruiting me a lot, so I would just say those schools right there (are in the running),” he said.
“They haven’t had the best success in past years, but Coach Heupel’s really starting to turn the program around and change the environment in the locker room,” Webb said. “All the players want to be around each other, and they just keep pushing each other to be the best they can be. That’s what Coach Heupel demands, so that as well as the explosive offense.

“I feel like their statistics and offensive numbers have expanded a lot throughout this past year with Coach Heupel. And then I haven’t really gotten to see what Tennessee can do for me outside of football, but just knowing the background of Knoxville, I’m pretty sure it could be intriguing, as well.”

Webb said he’s talking to Tennessee’s coaches “every other day, if not every day,” led by wide receivers coach Kodi Burns and Heupel. Webb said he also has been in contact with offensive coordinator Alex Golesh, and the Vols have made it clear that he’s a priority for them.

“They say they like tall guys,” Webb said. “They say I’m kind of fast. I’m just a tall guy that can stretch the field vertically, and they like my ball skills, as well. I can come down with a lot of 50-50 balls, and that’s something Coach Heupel wants in his offense.

“Also, they’re losing two senior receivers this year, with Velus (Jones Jr.) and JaVonta(Payton). So they kind of just want somebody to step into that role, and they feel like I can do that.”
-Callahan

Anything under 11 is objectively "very fast" because it is usually allows the few HS boys who run that time to earn a scholarship to run track at the college level. The fastest player on our team (per the photo that made the rounds earlier this summer), DeShawn Rucker, has a PR of 10.76 in Florida HS with official timing. Yes, we do have better speed on this team than we have had in awhile: Jalin Hyatt, very very fast, ran a 10.46 in HS. Jimmy Calloway ran a 10.89 his senior year. Javonta Payton, a very fast receiver, PR 11.17 in HS from an official event. Jaylen Wright 60 meter indoor time is unbelievably good. Tennessee should have some of the fastest skills players in the country, and as I show below, we are recruiting more.

For further context, the 2021 state champion 100 meter runner in 4A in Florida ran a 10.72. In 2020, US teenage track sensation Erriyon Knighton ran a 10.67 100 m officially timed in Florida. In Alabama this Spring, in the highest classification, only 4 guys broke 11 seconds in the final. The top two are guys we are recruiting (1st place: Jarrell Stinson 10.79, 2nd place, Vol Commit Marquarius White 10.81). Vol commit Dylan Sampon, also blazing fast, has a PR of 10.62 (with a reported 10.48).

In Georgia this Spring, the state champion 100 meter runner in class 7A ran a 10.72. They had a very impressive 12 runners break 11 seconds. One of them, the subject of this thread, Kaleb Webb, who impressed Vol coaches with his speed in camp, ran a 10.96.

I say all this to say that, yes, this recruit is quite fast, and acting like a 10.91 isn't fast for a HS Junior is off the mark, imo.

Tell it like it is!

Anything under 11 is objectively "very fast" because it is usually allows the few HS boys who run that time to earn a scholarship to run track at the college level. The fastest player on our team (per the photo that made the rounds earlier this summer), DeShawn Rucker, has a PR of 10.76 in Florida HS with official timing. Yes, we do have better speed on this team than we have had in awhile: Jalin Hyatt, very very fast, ran a 10.46 in HS. Jimmy Calloway ran a 10.89 his senior year. Javonta Payton, a very fast receiver, PR 11.17 in HS from an official event. Jaylen Wright 60 meter indoor time is unbelievably good. Tennessee should have some of the fastest skills players in the country, and as I show below, we are recruiting more.

For further context, the 2021 state champion 100 meter runner in 4A in Florida ran a 10.72. In 2020, US teenage track sensation Erriyon Knighton ran a 10.67 100 m officially timed in Florida. In Alabama this Spring, in the highest classification, only 4 guys broke 11 seconds in the final. The top two are guys we are recruiting (1st place: Jarrell Stinson 10.79, 2nd place, Vol Commit Marquarius White 10.81). Vol commit Dylan Sampon, also blazing fast, has a PR of 10.62 (with a reported 10.48).

In Georgia this Spring, the state champion 100 meter runner in class 7A ran a 10.72. They had a very impressive 12 runners break 11 seconds. One of them, the subject of this thread, Kaleb Webb, who impressed Vol coaches with his speed in camp, ran a 10.96.

I say all this to say that, yes, this recruit is quite fast, and acting like a 10.91 isn't fast for a HS Junior is off the mark, imo.
Also.....there’s football fast and track fast.
This kid is football fast as well

Why do you say that?Are you a person in the know?Just curious.
“I haven’t really gotten to see what Tennessee can do for me outside of football”

I’m sure he’s talking about NIL, so I was mainly joking. Just thought it read funny.

Kaleb Webb and Kodi Burns continue to have great dialogue as Webb gains more traction on the trail. We spoke to a couple people in recruiting circles this week who say Webb had a super strong senior season and could be someone who sees a late push by schools needing a wideout. It definitely helps Tennessee to get him across the finish line sooner rather than later.
-VQ

*Places booms in cannon*
giphy.gif

VN Store

Back